PDA

View Full Version : Hot fuel tank - unsafe?

BigRedTinkerer
07-07-2013, 11:57 AM
The fuel tank on my 1985 Honda Big Red 250es gets quite hot - as does the engine. Is this dangerous? If so, what should I do? Since this is my first off road vehicle and I am not mechanically inclined, I don't know whether this is normal or dangerous. I am afraid to ride it when it's hot. Any pointers/advice?

EDIT - While the tank doesn't get hot enough to burn skin, it's too hot to touch for more than five to ten seconds or so. The heat just becomes unbearable. It's quite hot on my legs, too. Again, not hot enough to cause burns. The temperature at the bottom and lower sides of the tank is about the same as a paper cup filled with hot coffee. Not scorching, but hot.

Since I don't know anything about three wheelers, ATVs or motorcycles, I fear that the tank could explode. And, that's the LAST place you'd want an explosion.

sp8twn
07-07-2013, 01:05 PM
How hot is hot? it does sit right over the engine,, Can you touch the bottom part of the tank with your hand? Need a bit more info?

SUPERTEX
07-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Im not sure how hot its getting like how Sp8twn said, but my 250es big red also gets really hot after riding it for a wile just about to where my legs are on fire, iv had my 250es for about 6 years now and iv never had any problems with it.

BigRedTinkerer
07-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks very much for replying! I added more info to my original post. So you don't have to scroll back to it, I've pasted it here, too:

EDIT - While the tank doesn't get hot enough to burn skin, it's too hot to touch for more than five to ten seconds or so. The heat just becomes unbearable. It's quite hot on my legs, too. Again, not hot enough to cause burns. The temperature at the bottom and lower sides of the tank is about the same as a paper cup filled with hot coffee. Not scorching, but hot.

Since I don't know anything about three wheelers, ATVs or motorcycles, I fear that the tank could explode. And, that's the LAST place you'd want an explosion.

Any advice?

sp8twn
07-07-2013, 04:38 PM
No!!!! I wouldn't worry about it!!! your family jewels are safe!!:w00t:

SUPERTEX
07-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Yes i agree with Sp8twn, its not getting to hot to explode just make sure the tank lid is letting it breath right and your just fine.

Mine gets the same way its just from being right by the engine and also the summer heat i dont know about your area but the summers in florida are crazy hot so my tank is hot just from sun.

ATC-Eric
07-07-2013, 10:45 PM
I had my big bore x get so hot before it boiled the gas in the tank! Freaked me out!

kb0nly
07-07-2013, 11:03 PM
I wouldnt worry about it, i have seen gas boil in the tanks on chainsaws in the summer, yes it will actually boil with out exploding or catching fire its a liquid. Not totally sure what the boiling point of gas is but i know the little MC limbing saw that i have if i give it a good workout on a hot summer day you can take the cap off the gas tank and get it boiling rapidly. Now thats hot!

briano
07-08-2013, 09:55 PM
Nothing to worry about, I've also had gas boil in my tank. Doing yard work with my Yamaha Grizzly 660 with the tracks on it last summer, it got just a bit hot and the gas was bubbling in the plastic tank.