PDA

View Full Version : Atc200es-Hot Shot CDI

hilltj
07-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Has anyone any experience with a hot shot cdi on a 200es?

kb0nly
07-09-2013, 09:53 AM
No, but just about any aftermarket CDI will work as long as its an AC powered CDI. The DC units won't work. Its easy to swap out the plug from the round one it has to a the rectangular one that most CDI's have, or the 4+2 style can be used as well with a connector swap. Just make sure its an AC style.

I have put a bunch of different aftermarket CDI's on mine to gauge their performance, they all work and none seem better than the rest. If you do, also be aware that you want a CDI with NO advance curve. I tried one of those, ran like crap because the 200 motor has mechanical advance so it would be too far advanced with the added electrical advance curve.

hilltj
07-11-2013, 01:35 AM
Just wondering whether I can gain a performance advantage by using a hot shot cdi for the 200es. I was hoping that someone had actually used one. The hot shot info is unspecific as to what their cdi actually does.

barnett468
07-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Hello hilltj

Has anyone any experience with a hot shot cdi on a 200es?

They don't list one for your bike, do you plan to just adapt one, if so which one exactly?

The ones on Ebay that claim to fit a 200es are not listed in the suppliers catalog below. Slightly suspicious isn't it?

Hot shot cdi link supplier.

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/results.php

hilltj
07-11-2013, 11:19 PM
yeh, seems funny. According to Ricks site the serial number should end in "H" to denote a "hot shot" CDI. Yes, I intend to change the CDI plug on my wiring harness to accomodate the "Square" style rather than the "round" style CDI plug.

hilltj
07-12-2013, 01:35 AM
I just want to raise the rev ceiling. On first glance a '84 xr350 CDI "Looks" similar to mine, with what appears to be the same plug as the original. Any thoughts?.

hilltj
07-13-2013, 02:44 AM
clearly an xr350 CDI won't work. That bike has an electronic means of advance instead of the 200es's mechanical. Barnett468, the ebay "Hot Shot" Cdi is to be removed from sale after my correspondence with the seller!!!. Seems that it was an error or something!!!. Anyway, is the CDI the limitation on revs of a 200es ?. emailed Ricks too just to confirm that a "Hot Shot" CDI does not exist for a 200ES

barnett468
07-13-2013, 10:00 AM
clearly an xr350 CDI won't work. That bike has an electronic means of advance instead of the 200es's mechanical. Barnett468, the ebay "Hot Shot" Cdi is to be removed from sale after my correspondence with the seller!!!. Seems that it was an error or something!!!. Anyway, is the CDI the limitation on revs of a 200es ?. emailed Ricks too just to confirm that a "Hot Shot" CDI does not exist for a 200ES

Hello hilltj

Ok, I don’t have a great answer for you, others may. There are many here that run higher rpm’s than stock on their modified 200’s with the stock CDI so I guess my question is why do you think you need more? Does it pop and burble at max rpm’s like it has a rev limiter.

I don’t know if the stock cdi has a rev limiter but yours will pop at max rpm if it does.

If you want to try more advance then either advance it slightly id it is adjustable for a test and if it’s not then remove the rubber stops on the mechanical advance if there are any, if there isn’t then you can grind the stops but I wouldn’t recommend it because you don’t like it you need to slip rubber stops over the metal ones to return nit close to stock.

If your static compression [measured with gauge] is higher than stock more advance won’t help.

If you want a cdi that has advance you either need one that adds only around 4 degrees above around 4000 rpm which only a $250.00 programmable one can do or determine how much total advance you currently have then get a cdi that has 4 degrees more advance than that minus the static advance. Then lock your mechanical advance so it doesn't advance. Easy deal, except there's no way to find a CDI that fits your specific requirements.

Let us know what Rick's says.

hilltj
07-13-2013, 11:33 PM
barnett468, I agree. I think i'll get the thing running with the standard CDI firstly. Then, once I'm familiar with the motor I may play with CDI's. Incidentally DRATV offers a non advancing CDI with no rev limitation on his site. It is fitted with the "square" plug & may fit straight onto an early ATC. JUst thought I'd let you all know.

kb0nly
07-14-2013, 01:27 AM
Yes and the Dr ATV one is also one I linked to in past discussions. We really need to sticky that post I made. Seems 200es CDI discussions are on the rise again. lol...

I have one from the Dr, its no different than the $5 ones I got from eBay.

barnett468
07-14-2013, 10:03 AM
barnett468, I agree. I think i'll get the thing running with the standard CDI firstly.

Oh, I thought you already had it running and was having a problem at peak rpm.

Then, once I'm familiar with the motor I may play with CDI's.

Yeah, it obviously makes more sense to test what you have first before changing things like this.

Incidentally DRATV offers a non advancing CDI with no rev limitation on his site. It is fitted with the "square" plug & may fit straight onto an early ATC. JUst thought I'd let you all know.

Well, if yours doesn't pop at max rpm it most likely does not have a rev limiter. It might have an ign retard which limits rpm, hard to say without holding your throttle wide open with a timing lite, lol.

tripledog
07-15-2013, 10:17 PM
I have a whopping 18 bucks, or thereabouts, into a replacement cdi (thanks KB, and ebay!) and harness connector for my 200es. Runs great, even with the rotted exhaust and leaking headpipe gasket. I have a new DG exhaust and headpipe gasket, but haven't installed them yet. After I do, I will likely visit Walmart for some new underwear. I would have never believed a little 200 could have so much power!

deuce228
07-16-2013, 10:03 PM
So, not to completely hijack here but I have a bum Cdi in my 200es and am waiting for access to classifieds. Would you suggest going from the round to a square style? Rounds are hard to come by.

tripledog
07-16-2013, 11:26 PM
So, not to completely hijack here but I have a bum Cdi in my 200es and am waiting for access to classifieds. Would you suggest going from the round to a square style? Rounds are hard to come by.

Yes, retrofitting the harness connector from round to square opens up a WORLD of very inexpensive cdi box options. Have an extra connector... yours for shipping costs. Please pm me if interested.

kb0nly
07-17-2013, 12:03 AM
Absolutely Deuce...

Going to the new style your not limited anymore. The round style CDI when they show up on ebay go for a lot of money. I know, i bought one for about $45 when i fixed a 200ES for a guy that didn't want to change the plug out, i told him it would expensive. Funny thing is about four months later he comes back to ask if i could still do the swap because the replacement, which was another used one, died as well.

Mine became intermittent, i could smack it on the sidewalk a few times and then it would fire back up. Turned out to be corrosion inside the CDI from a bad job of potting it into the little plastic box. I documented that on here as well with pictures of the insides. After cleaning and resoldering the parts to the circuit board it worked fine and didn't randomly fail anymore, i still have that one, its wrapped in a few layers of electricians tape and liquid tape, kinda like plasti dip that you put on tool handles. I keep it in my tool box now for a test CDI, if i get a trike that i suspect has issues i swap that repaired one on, and if it runs then i replace the plug and put on a cheap ebay CDI.

I went through five of them now no issues, but a few guys got a bad one, or so we think, on here. They are like a $5-$10 part so i am sure there is bum ones in the lot. Wouldn't hurt to buy two at that cost, test them both and then set aside one as a spare.

deuce228
07-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the feedback.