PDA

View Full Version : 1984 YTM 200 Clutch

cableguysf
07-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Had the case open (opposite of gear shift) to put in a new silicone gasket to fix an oil leak. Leak is now gone but when I took it for a spin 24 hours after letting the seal cure, it almost seems like the clutch slips. Ive
got to give it quite a bit of throttle to get going and a few times yesterday it seemed to grab really hard and take off. I did a nice unintentional wheelie across the yard. Did I maybe put something together wrong or
what should I look at? Thanks!!

dougspcs
07-09-2013, 08:42 PM
What oil did you put back into the crankcase..?? Wet clutch oil is really important..

cableguysf
07-09-2013, 08:55 PM
I put in 15W 40 on the recommendation from a local automotive shop.

dougspcs
07-09-2013, 09:02 PM
I put in 15W 40 on the recommendation from a local automotive shop.

Auto shops fix cars..cars don't need oil that is formulated for wet-clutch use? Motorcycle or ATV oil is different..if the oil you got is just standard car oil this is likely your problem. Many auto oils contain friction modifiers to reduce engine wear..these modifiers mess with the oil bathed clutches and make the slip.

Start there..go buy some Honda GN4 or other oil stating it is for this application.

Change it and run it a while to let it circulate thru the clutches..should be that simple.

Also, next time why not buy the correct gaskets..instead of using silicone that is messy and often doesn't seal properly. Plus you can get right on it and go for a ride instead of letting it cure 1st. The side cover gasket you needed was probably around the same price as a quality tube of silicone..

barnett468
07-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Had the case open to put in a new silicone gasket. it seems like the clutch slips. Ive
got to give it quite a bit of throttle to get going and a few times yesterday it seemed to grab really hard and take off.

Did I maybe put something together wrong

Maybe, but I would try the proper oil first as suggested.

You can also buy oil for wet clutch engines at most auto parts stores but it won't be oem honda oil. It will say "for motor cycles" and "for wet clutches" etc on the bottle.

Did this problem start after your oil change?

Did you change ANYTHING else?

Is the problem inconsistent or consistent?

Is it more difficult to shift gears now?

You say it "slips" but then say it "grabs hard" and did a "wheelie" which is confusing, could you explain exactly what it does under how much throttle etc?

Do you mean that it was ok before but now it will just sit there and not move until the rpm's are high and then suddenly take off?

83 200e
07-10-2013, 01:02 PM
i would use 20w-50, i use it in both of my YTM 200 3 wheelers. You can adjust the clutch from the outside too, maybe it needs an adjustment, or maybe you will need to crack it open and look at it from inside, is it the centrifugal clutch? its hard to say when you dont have it in front of you to look at

Fizik
07-12-2013, 06:22 AM
Ive had great luck with Royal Purple 20-40w. No friction modifiers and nice and thick for a little padding for the old bones.

cableguysf
07-13-2013, 10:24 PM
I went ahead and changed out the oil with atv wet clutch. Still has the same issue not as bad. My son rides it and seems to work fine and the same thing with my brother. Might be I'm a bit too heavy for it??

How is the cluth adjustable?