PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda 250r and 250sx carb questions.

Erock86
07-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Carb has been leaking few drips of gas out the bottom drain nozzle if i leave the gas turned on while its turned off. And unlike my 250sx when i try to run all the gas out of the carb when i put them up instead of running out and dieing when it starts to run out it starts to idle really really really high before running out and i end up shutting it off. So when i tear down the carb next weekend what should i look for as a likely suspect.

Also my 250sx i noticed(while trying to ride wheelies) when i go from no throttle to full throttle as fast as i can it cuts out and wants to shut off but if you give it a little gas then go full throttle its fine and if you just drive it normal its fine. I took the carb off already and tried cleaning it with carb cleaner but that didn't help since its still doing it or could it be a different problem like possibly air filter?

CodyRosa
07-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Hey Erock, the float is most likely sticking on both of them. There old machines what can you expect? So if I were you I would buy http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC250R-1983-1984-Carb-Rebuild-Kit-Repair-ATC-200R-/200784886227?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebfb639d3&vxp=mtr , When my carb leaked I never knew why until I cleaned it but the problem came back. (the rubber tip on the rocket looking part can dry out I believe) I bought this exact kit for my 200x and it worked perfect, still works good and that was 8 months ago i bought it.

My wheeler does the SAME thing, it bogs out and if you keep holding the throttle it'll kill, but if you let off it stays running. I can't remember for the life of me if its to much gas or to little. I would think to much but do NOT quote me because I'm not 100% sure. It shouldn't be the air filter but if you can clean the air filter as it makes a big difference.

Goodluck as I know these carb issues may seem like a pain at first but once you get the hang of it there very easy!

Erock86
07-14-2013, 11:32 AM
your right i should prob just go ahead and buy a rebuild kit for both of them the only reason i haven't for the 84 250r is because i was thinking about putting a 85-86 34mm carb on it but being just getting into working on these myself im not sure if that would be good ideal just yet till i have a little more knowledge of tuning these carbs.

also the 250sx doesn't bog at full throttle just when your at a stand still and go full throttle to try to pop a wheelie but if you give alittle gas then hit it hard at full throttle its fine or if your driving it normal throttle increase it runs fine even at full throttle if that helps any.

John 4
07-14-2013, 12:40 PM
It sounds like your 250sx is acting the way it would with one of those "aftermarket, eBay carbs". Are you sure it isn't one of those carbs?

Erock86
07-14-2013, 12:54 PM
actually i didnt even think of that im not sure ill have to check that next weekend i keep them in my parents shop i have more places to ride out in the country. but i have noticed rust in the tank i planned on coating the inside of the tank once riding season is done because when i took the carb off it did have rust dust sitting in the bottm of the carb and jets had a few holes plugged when i took them out and cleaned them. i didn't take the long needle out though connected to the main jet i did spray it down with carb cleaner though. But i did plan on getting a new carb for it all together after I seal the tank but im guessing the ones on ebay aren't very good?

CodyRosa
07-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Yea Erock, that's exactly what mine does. Sitting there and just hit full throttle and it wants to kill. Now that i'm thinking about it I wonder if it has to do with not getting enough gas because when wheeler was almost out of gas it would do that, i threw it on reserve and that went away. Once again i'm not sure so don't trust me on that one haha. I got a chinese one on ebay.. wasn't good, i could never get it tuned it right. I'm not saying they don't work, they do work, people have had success but for me, i never did. Personally just rebuild it, its cheaper and it'll work perfect after you rebuild it. If you do buy one.. do NOT get carb cleaner on the rubber gasket because it enlarges it and it won't work.. you have to wait till it dries out.

dougspcs
07-14-2013, 01:42 PM
'erock'..the racing idle thing you talked about with your R is pretty standard for a 2stroke. when it's running out of fuel it will go lean which causes the idle to race..not a problem. the leaking out of the overflow is definitely a float issue likely caused be dirt or gum in the float needle. a good cleaning should solve this.

the 250SX is also in need of a good cleaning..one of your jets must be partially plugged. if a cleaning doesn't solve it consider sending your carb to 'FlyingW' or just buying one from him out right. OEM carb tenderly and lovingly rebuilt to new or better than new standards..

Erock86
07-14-2013, 06:52 PM
thanks for the info doug im new to the site still but im guessing flyingw is a member of these forums ill pm him about it i will probably go that route then.

John 4
07-14-2013, 09:06 PM
thanks for the info doug im new to the site still but im guessing flyingw is a member of these forums ill pm him about it i will probably go that route then.

You will not be disappointed with one of "FlyingW's" carbs! I have them on both of my SX's and could not be happier. FlyingW is the man!!!

Erock86
07-14-2013, 09:15 PM
definitely sounds like the way to go then i done sent him a pm thanks also john for the help!

Flyingw
07-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words. I'm happy that you guys that have my rebuilt carbs are happy with them. Unfortunately I'm out of rebuilt carbs. Lately, guys have been buying them outright. I watch Ebay everyday and if priced right, I'll grab them up but if any of you guys have ES/SX carbs laying around, shoot me a message. Perhaps we can work something out. I can also rebuild your carb. For that, a flat rate of $95.00 and that includes the rebuild kit and return shipping.

Larry T Moore
07-14-2013, 09:54 PM
I have thoroughly enjoyed the results from one of Jims carbs...best thing ya can do

Erock86
07-14-2013, 10:15 PM
yea im gonna send him my sx carb once i get it tore off. Anyone with a 2nd gen 250r running a 3rd gen carb thinking about going this route for my 250r.