PDA

View Full Version : got my 250es big red finally running i think but bad noise when its cold

spark23ca
07-15-2013, 11:49 AM
got er all running ..fixed a hole in the bowl of the bottom of the pepcock cleaned the carbs...i noticed after i fixed the bowl tonight i poored gas in the tank and the carb started to leak..so i shut off the gas and started it the vibration of the engine must have unstuck the needle valve so i i just said to hell with it and ran it ..it does have quite the till it warms up and a hesitation when you are at about 1/8 throttle ..i messed with the air screw didnt seem to make a difference...the slow jet was the dirtiest one likely its toast..i got a new carb kit ''made in japan'' on ebay and a new choke kit as mine is still froze shut ..
hope that knock isn't piston slap or a bad cam...its sat for years from what it looks like maybe its just something that needs some oil run threw it for a while..only way i can describe the noise is it sounds like a worn gear and bad chain on old dirt bike coasting down a hill ..anyone have a noises that go away when it warsms up ????? thanks for all your help ...

dave ytz250s
07-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Did you change the oil filter? Maybe a stupid question but if it sat for years its probably clogged and when the oil gets hot it starts flowing through again.

Glen
07-18-2013, 02:14 PM
could you record it on your phone and post it? maybe it could be valves, who knows

spark23ca
09-12-2013, 01:51 PM
the more i run it the better it sounds ..your right i do have to set the valves ..

tri again
09-12-2013, 05:06 PM
x2, yeah, change the oil AND filter and make sure the spring is on the correct side and filter is in correctly.
Simple mistake can easily cause unspeakable damage.

A good carb cleaning, but sounds like you're on the way.
GREAT machines.
007 has thousands of miles on one and seems to be his choice of
workhorses and he has his choice of virtually ANY machine ever made.

I had one machine , 250es, with a lnong term gas leak and it diluted the oil with gas.
So full or overful on the dipstick can be a bad thing in that sense.

I had another es that rattled like a jackhammer.
Made me sick from 50 feet away.
Valve adjust made it sound like a sewing machine, altho they CAN develop timing chain slap, so yeah, adjust the valves too.
sx models seem to get more hi rev abuse than the es models so we have our fingers crossed for you.
Pls keep us posted.

spark23ca
09-13-2013, 12:47 AM
oh i've put a carb kit in a choke kit (if you ever order one make sure you get the spring i didn't) boiled the carb in lemon juice ..works better then carb cleaner..put a new old stock left hub on ...i put a stator in for a buddy of mine ..his sounds allot better as far as rattles go but i noticed his has very little compression..i have a broken china 110 4 wheeler that has disk breaks that would work perfect on these type wheelers ..if i ever find a carb off of a cr 250 from the 80s or 90s i will be putting that on ..still should change the oil and set the valves...my garage is full of tractors cars and everything else that need fixed the same day they come in i just can't get time for my wheeler ..its the best way to relax to run up in the woods and play in the mud where noone can wine in your ear

spark23ca
09-13-2013, 01:42 AM
here is one of my attempts at a disk break set up..ps didn't work ..the threaded rod was too long and thin..i tack welded all the nuts on to keep them from spinning when i got it straight and that weakened the grade 8 threaded rod even more
http://youtu.be/E8POopL-YHk

spark23ca
09-14-2013, 01:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9gjUHRAUn9o#t=38 can't really hear the valves here..can't really hear the motor at all ..i think maybe my exhaust is full of carbon ..i've seen it trailprotrailpro with sleds..they rust and get sideways in baffle and collect carbon..it will cook a 2 stroke ..

Weis003
09-14-2013, 10:02 PM
I get a lot of machines that sit awhile and get them up and running. Usually just doing the maintence on them fixes everything. I drain gas, carb kit, change oil(usually it takes 3-5 cycles of getting it hot to get clean oil from it), adjust valves, tighten cam chain, set timing, and they will go back to being bulletproof for many years. I even had one that was seized up cuz it got water in the cylinder, I beat the piston out, I ball honed it and put new rings and my buddy is still driving it around 3 years later without doing any more fixes.

spark23ca
09-15-2013, 02:43 AM
the 250es has auto adjusters or am i wrong?? i still got to set my valves but i'd do bothe when i had it in the garage ...next time you find something that is rusted seized try vinegar but after you get it moving dump er full fulll full of 2 stroke oil to keep it from eating away at stuff..i've done that with a few old small block chevs and they are still running too...just not doing the quarter mile