PDA

View Full Version : My Honda 350X Restoration

Jrash77
07-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Hey everybody, a small cool story before I get started with the pics, maybe some of you can relate. I was born in 1974, didn't really have a lot of money growing up but my dad got us a couple go-carts and things in the 80s so we had something to ride with the other kids in our Maryland neighborhood. We had a kid in the neighborhood, Norman. Norman ALWAYS had the newest and coolest stuff, he was a couple years older then us too. When he was 14, we were 12. Rumor around the neighborhood was he was going to get a new Honda 1986 350X. All I had ever really seen or ridden in my life to that point was my buddy Walt's Honda 110 ATC. We had a lot of fun on that thing but to think of someone actually getting a trike THAT BIG that we would see every day... well it was very exciting for a 12 year old, lol. Walt lived beside Norman and he called called me, screaming in the phone, "Its here, its here... I saw Normans dad drive by with this thing in the back of his truck." I jumped ion my bike and headed to Walts. By the time I got there Norman and his dad had put the 350X in the garage and shut it I suppose to clean it up, Armor All the tires and whatnot so to TOTALLY impress everyone who would see it, you know how kids are. I'm sure Norman wanted Maximum wow factor from us all. He had to of knows we were sitting on Walts porch waiting for him to bring it out. he was in there about 15 minutes after I arrived until the garage door was raised. When you are 12, this was kind of like the gates of Heaven opening. OMG, look at this. We stood there amazed, He KICKED it to start it like a motorcycle, omg, is this for real??? I'll never forget him pulling out of his garage onto the little development street everyone lived on and it stood SO TALL, It was Huge! We stood up on the porch and ran down to the side of the street... He popped the clutch and rode a wheelie right by us all the way up the street. I was amazed AND IN LOVE. That was by far the COOLEST thing I had ever seen in my 12 years. I loved that trike and ALWAYS wanted one, always but we never could afford one.

SO...Today I'm 39 years old and I told my wife that story and I told her I wanted to find one. I had to own one, it still held that spot in my heart all these years. I said even if I had to build it myself I'm going to have one so I started on my search and I found a 85 that I could restore. and when I say restore I mean do it right, sand and polish every piece of alum. Hand sand and blast all the metal, frame, tank and have them professionally painted or anodized. NEVER restoring a bike I knew that I would be in for some fun, BUT, I messed with these things all my life, I make pretty good money now and if I'm gonna restore one NOW is the time...I don't even have a garage, I have a basement with a walk out double door, lmao. Its gonna be interesting to say the least! So I'd like to share with you all my very first restore. Please don't pick at its flaws too bad because I am new to this. But I hope you enjoy the show :) Also, let me know if you have any questions, I'm glad to share info. So without any further a'due, I shall start with pics of the trike as I found it.... enjoy!

joefixit0
07-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Great story, would love to see pics of your project!

Larry T Moore
07-15-2013, 06:50 PM
when its done...call alla us and we'll sit outside yer garage doors and wait...then play some SLAYER..and ride thru on a wheelie...Ill bring the chips and sodas...great memories dude..

Jrash77
07-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Here are the pics of the bike I found to restore when I got it

ScreaminRed
07-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Great story...amazing how these things bring out the little kid in you all over again! Welcome here! I have two, an 85 and 86. :cool:

ScreaminRed
07-15-2013, 07:10 PM
I can't wait!!!! lol. You really had a nice bike to start on too.

Jrash77
07-15-2013, 07:17 PM
The tear down... done in one night with my buddy Justin and a few brews, lol.

6speedthumper
07-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Super cool story, man. Larry can bring all the chips and soda he wants... I'm bringin beer! ;) More pics and progress report would be cool.

Jrash77
07-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Prep, sanding, primer, polish, sanding, sanding, sanding... lol....

6speedthumper
07-15-2013, 07:49 PM
This reminds me of what my 88 Warrior looked like earlier this year, when I restored it, and stroked the engine. Be glad you don't have to build your own +2 arms for it! lol. Lookin good dude!

Jrash77
07-15-2013, 07:51 PM
triple tree, forks and more

Jrash77
07-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Still sanding and painting to be done.... but its almost assembly time!

Jrash77
07-15-2013, 08:05 PM
ASSEMBLY TIME, this is the fun part... and it tends to cost some $$ too, lol

Jrash77
07-15-2013, 08:10 PM
More assembly...

Jrash77
07-15-2013, 08:16 PM
So this is the point where the pics stop for the moment because this is where I am currently... Still working on it a little each night. Just ordered some new wheels and tires for it, Maxxis M9209 All Traks on ITP T-9 Pro Series Wheels. Just got the new seat foam in and seatcover, putting that together and then the back plastic, tank and rubber! The hard parts done boys :)

Stay tuned for updates and thanks for all the compliments on the story! lol, we were all kids once!!!

Jamie

6speedthumper
07-15-2013, 09:19 PM
We're waitin.

CodyRosa
07-15-2013, 10:24 PM
This thing looks awesome! Like the little story as well. Was most of that spray painted or powdercoated because that gas tank looks AMAZING lol.. Good job, can't wait to see the finished product!

Jrash77
07-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks very much !

Gas Tank (body work and paint), frame and swing arm I all had done professionally done at the paint shop. The pegs I send out and got powder coated.
I sanded, primer acid etched and painted the new kicker, rear brake assembly arm and front caliper myself as well as clearing them also.

atc007
07-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Awesome story,great work,and your love for this bike shows in your work. Thanx for sharing !!! Great thread! How can you top this lol ? ! Can't wait to see her finished in all her glory.

CodyRosa
07-15-2013, 10:56 PM
This thread mades me soooo excited to do a rebuild! I bought a 85 250r frame off a member here that's not in the best shape, needs paint.. I figure its the perfect project!

How much roughly was that frame,swingarm, and footpegs to get painted? I think I was quoted 300 bucks for frame, swingarm, foot pegs. I think but I don't remember as that was awhile ago.

200bigredrebel
07-15-2013, 11:52 PM
that trike is going to look BAD trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro man. =D cool story too.

Jrash77
07-16-2013, 12:05 AM
Tank- You might not be able to tell but the tank alone has nine hours in it, (from me and the paint shop) it was weak at the bottom and after sanding her down at home a couple wet spots appeared. You can see in the tank photos when I have it to the printshop I marked where the leaks were. I had to get it fixed because the plastic tanks just don't compare in shape, size or dimensions... They simply just don't look right and to do this one right... Well, I didn't give myself any option but to get it fixed right and live with cost, lol. When all was said and done he cut me a deal and they fixed the tank, reshaped it, painted and cleared for $200.

The frame- the paint shop was nice enough to let me sand blast it using their equipment so save me some money and mostly because sand blasting something that size is a PAin in the rump. Lol. When it was all said and done it cost me $115 to get painted.

Swingarm was a PAIN. I had to tear it down somewhat and prep it for them because it wasn't really something they do- but once it was done it was $75.

All in all it might have cost a little more the way I did it but to do it right I will live with it :)

The pegs were $80 to get done btw, almost forgot.

I'm glad you guys enjoy the story and the effort I've put into it. It actually means a lot when people recognize the hard work that goes Into something like this. Can't buy parts hardly and the ones you do find need refurbished or painted or polished. I can't wait to see you get started on the 250!! That might be my next project, they were a bad trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro machine!!!

Thanks,
Jamie

ScreaminRed
07-16-2013, 12:27 AM
Hey, take your time, do it right, i can wait. Thank u for sharing! Just looking on my phone now
, but will check all your pics on a larger screen tomorrow.

CodyRosa
07-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Oh wow.. 9 hours!! I had like 2 in mine, mine came out pretty good. Yours.. i just stared at it haha, the paint just looks amazing. Same thing happened with mine with the wetspots. Honestly that 200 bucks seems well worth it, tank looks better than new =D I sandblasted mine... terrible lol took forever. Pretty sure whoever quoted me was going to sandblast it for me as well. Yea it's probably going to be awhile but I'm very excited!

Good luck with your build!

Larry T Moore
07-16-2013, 03:52 AM
Super cool story, man. Larry can bring all the chips and soda he wants... I'm bringin beer! ;) More pics and progress report would be cool.

I was being cool in case the under 21 was crowd was watching..and then its jack and coke..this bike is sweeeeeeeeeeeettttt!!!

Jrash77
07-16-2013, 12:55 PM
I like the Captain with a little coke! He is my friend and a trike fan also!! Hahaha

Jrash77
07-16-2013, 09:33 PM
I made my signature, is it working?

ScreaminRed
07-16-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't know if your gonna want to get it dirty when it's done! Its going to be one of the cleanest for sure. I think I need to invest
in a ryobi polishing wheel! :)

Jrash77
07-16-2013, 11:56 PM
That little ryobi is like 80 bucks and the sandpaper is cheap baby! The forks probably turned out the best of all, I was amazed how they turned out considering how bad they were when I started. The other part I used this stuff called Aircraft paint remover... You put it on with a small paint brush and the paint (or whatever it was) bubbled up and washed right off, just wear rubber gloves and a mask, it's some nasty strong stuff. Also a small dremel with tiny polishing wheel attachments was key to getting into those tight spots... The best part is watching it start to Pop! It really is satisfying to actually see the hard work u put in actually show. But yeah, any of you guys can make your alum parts look just like these, it don't take long at all, I think I spent 3-4 hours sanding and polishing on each fork... The hardest part was getting the clear off the forks and triple tree assembly... I had to use a scotch bright pad and brake cleaner... It actually worked great and took that clearcoat right off so I could get to sanding the alum itself. As far as sandpaper I used I started with 320, then 400, then 600 and finished with a 1000.... It all polished up from there using the wheel. I hope this helps guys.

As far as getting it dirty, lol, I dont think this will EVER see any mud or dirt for that matter. Haha, I might just putt around the yard a little and just look at it! I might have to build another one to actually ride, lmao.

Jrash77
07-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Tank added

Jrash77
07-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Finally got to the bread and butter part, can't wait to get some help and get this on the ground and bolt on the new wheels and tires!!! All that will be left is add the decals, oil, brake fluids and BAM... SHE DONE! Lol

Jrash77
07-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Only thing left is decals, oil and brake fluid :)

CodyRosa
07-21-2013, 03:04 AM
Awesome! You better post a first startup video =D Thing looks amazing, great job!

ScreaminRed
07-21-2013, 06:54 AM
Awesome, that's a head turner for sure. How'd that Maier rear fender fit? No issues? The whole bike looks really really good, but yea, that triple tree is shiny!!! :beer

Jrash77
07-21-2013, 08:43 AM
The fenders fit perfect... Not 1 issue. They fit right up to the tank too, no gap at all. Came with the holes predrilled as did the front fender. The only holes I had to drill were in the red fins.

Decals are next and then oil and brake fluid... Can't wait to start it up :)
Thanks guys for the kind words! If u all know anyone looking, I have red factory fenders in decent shape along with a redone seat I'm gonna sell....

yamaha225dr
07-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Cool story and this is a perfect example of why old muscle cars are so popular and why three wheelers are making a comeback in popularity.

6speedthumper
07-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Very, very, very nice work! Do you plan to even ride it! Lol. And deffinetly get a start up vid. I want to do mine up like that, but, I'm going to ride the crap outta it, so may not go to the extremes to polish everything. That'll most likely be the only thing I "scrimp" on. Very sweet bike you have.

ScreaminRed
07-22-2013, 11:30 AM
The fenders fit perfect... Not 1 issue. They fit right up to the tank too, no gap at all. Came with the holes predrilled as did the front fender. The only holes I had to drill were in the red fins.

Decals are next and then oil and brake fluid... Can't wait to start it up :)
Thanks guys for the kind words! If u all know anyone looking, I have red factory fenders in decent shape along with a redone seat I'm gonna sell....

Nice! Glad to hear they fit up perfectly! :cool:

Kyle250es
07-25-2013, 09:53 PM
Most beautiful thing I've ever seen. (My girlfriend behind me said "waaaatch iiiiit".) I sincerely mean the trike bud. Grats!

Jrash77
07-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys!!! She is bad arse!!!! I got the decals and stuff done now...

MattDragontamer
08-05-2013, 01:32 AM
Very nice!!!

honda200xguy
08-05-2013, 01:39 AM
Nice restoration Jamie!!!!

Worden18
08-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Totally awesome restore, it's amazing! Great story, too. Thanks for sharing :)

R.J.M.
08-06-2013, 09:12 PM
VERY nice bike great job!!! I have an 85 350x that I just got and love riding it but it's do for a tare down this winter.

AGilder55
08-08-2013, 07:58 PM
thats great motivation

Jrash77
09-04-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm starting to get bored now and I'm afraid to ride it! Lmao, I think I'm gonna SELL IT and buy another one to restore. The first one was so much fun! IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED.... lol, I might entertain offers if it's enough to compelle me to let her go! I'm in Maryland.

I wonder what would be a good one to do next... Maybe a 250R? So many possibilities!

ps2fixer
09-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Why sell it when you could buy another and restore it too :). Don't forget to get one to RIDE :D.

I was thrown onto a 350 Warrior at age 11, and was only allowed to go into 3rd gear, good times! I grew up in the 90s though, not the hay day of the 3 wheelers :(.

motox40
09-05-2013, 06:48 PM
That is a thing of beauty right there. Awesome job. I say keep it. Just got a '86 350x and that's my plan also but I'm gonna ride it--that one is just to nice to ride anywhere but the front yard. Lol

ScreaminRed
09-05-2013, 09:27 PM
That's what i tried to tell him!! Get one to ride and that one to slobber over! haha. I have two, but ride both. But if i decide to re-do one, it'll be the '85. It's the closest to original. Wassssup Jamie!!!

Jrash77
09-17-2013, 11:39 PM
I still have it and decided to keep it, u are so right... Not sure what I was thinking! Lol. I'm just gonna find another one to rebuild and ride, lol. Thanks for the advice guys!

ps2fixer
09-19-2013, 01:22 AM
:w00t: Just be careful, the 3 wheeler addiction is extremely contagious, before you know it you will have 10-20 machines and no money left over :D.

auto5man
09-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Very.impressive.build.

roonie
09-20-2013, 02:41 PM
looks like your doing it the correct way...congrats on that and good luck

Tri85
09-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Awesome story! The '85 Tri z was my jaw dropper at the age of 13.
I have one in the shed now at 41. Lol. Great machines, great memories!!
And great pictures, can't wait to see the finished product.

Jrash77
09-23-2013, 08:58 PM
She Done Brotha, look on page 3

swampthang
09-23-2013, 09:13 PM
You need to track down Norman and show him what's up now! I know how it is to spend the time and money and fix one up only to be afraid of ruining it on the first ride. That's why when I built my 350x it was a 100% mechanical resto so I could ride it and enjoy it. Great build man.

joesouth
09-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Very nice, now you have 3 wheeler fever all over again!! Time to buy another. lol.

Dexter
10-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Well i want to do my own, up like that but i am going to drive the crap out of it so may not go to the extreme conditions to enhance everything. That will most, likely be the only factor i go cheap on.

Jrash77
11-15-2013, 09:53 PM
She done brotha, look on page 3

only34me
11-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Great job! I really like the polishing on the forks.

honda200xguy
11-29-2013, 10:53 PM
do a 85 86 r next