PDA

View Full Version : How to tell which way rings go without markings?... Or tapered edges

CodyRosa
07-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Hey guys, so i've been having issues with burning oil, just bought new rings. I was already told i'm more than likely going to need to get a bore. Well I can't return these rings soooo i might as well hope and try to figure out what I did wrong. There was a possibility that I had put these rings in upside down (ArmorTech Rings), well they don't have ANY markings whatsoever.. so i checked the edges.. and theres no difference. One sides not rounded, there both sharp and square. So is there a way to tell or is there no right way to put these rings in?

barnett468
07-16-2013, 05:43 PM
They might be made for their own piston.

Shiny ring on top, black one second.

If there is no taper, outer edge is flat AND no markings there is no up or down.

As I mentioned, it is not prudent to buy overseas rings unless they are Japanese made. When ever something is the lowest price available it's reasonable to be suspicious of quality. See shindypro.com for some affordable Japanese made engine parts.

CodyRosa
07-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Ok well I found out my spacing.. uh.. wasn't the best lol. That could be my problem. I had the rings the right way, shiny up top and black one second. I'm surprised these may not be the best because they were 33 bucks i think. I'm going to take a picture of how my spacing was and you can tell me if it would smoke because of it.

CodyRosa
07-16-2013, 06:01 PM
173376 That's close to what it was.. I'm guessing thats one reason as to why it smoked so badly? Also the oil rings weren't to far away themselves.. they must of moved when i was trying to get the piston in the cylinder.. some stiff rings I tell ya lol i don't have a ring compresser.

NeverLift
07-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Get the oil and compression rings 120 degrees apart from each other. Did you measure and set the ring end gap?

kb0nly
07-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Yep, at least 120 degrees, also don't let the ends of any of the rings line up with the pin, you want the gaps to the front or back of the cylinder not to the sides.

CodyRosa
07-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Ok well my internet was out.. i ended up switching them around and when I looked down my cylinder... I see an egg shape haha.. anyways I put the machine back together and I can't even pull it over.. with the decomp lever engaged its still hard to pull over. Not sure what I did wrong but im about ready to sell this motor cheap and buy another thats ready to go.. this ones threads are stripped in a few places anyways.

Glen
07-18-2013, 02:20 PM
wow, that stinks. maybe a ring got bent or something

CodyRosa
07-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Yea no clue.. Its very hard to pull over now, and when i pulled it one last time before i gave up for the day.. the rope in the recoil didn't go back so now my recoils all pulled out lol... that motors cursed i swear.