PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise coming from my head on my bigred 250.

hheywire
07-20-2013, 01:37 AM
Alright there is this whining and clicking noise going on in the head of my bigred. I've already set the valve lash. I've checked the timing chain and it's tighter than a ticks you know what. I can understand the whining coming from the cam chain but this clicking is so strange. The clicking is in a pattern, every 3 seconds I hear a click, and this is at idle by the way. Seems to get slightly louder when I rev up some. Also I checked to make sure that oil was making its way to the head, I
actually pulled off a valve cover and started it up to see if oil would blow out and of course it made a mess so I know it's not running dry up top. What could this
be? :wondering

dougspcs
07-20-2013, 06:26 AM
Video and upload it.

The whine noise as you stated is pretty easy, cam chain guide worn and the chain is rubbing on metal is the most likely.

The valve noise could be anything from cam journal wear and the cam is chattering to a broken chunk of spring clattering.

The head is coming off..must just as well get down to it!

hheywire
07-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm about to put a few hours on it today if the noise gets worse ill bring it home and go ahead and
take the head off.

hheywire
07-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Ok so the noise got a little louder today but I made it back safe and sound. Tomorrow it's time to break open the top end to see whats up.

dougspcs
07-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Keep us updated, maybe with some pics of the carnage too!!

hheywire
07-22-2013, 01:51 AM
Did not find any carnage that I could see. But I do need to know what a badly worn cam tensioner looks like. I can tell that mine are really worn but not to the metal. I didn't
see any broken valve springs, the inner ones nor the outer. I know that whining noise I heard was the cam though so it has to be my tensioners. But tell me, what I should look for while I've got the head off. On second thought they look pretty bad. Some one actually put a socket on the end of the tension adjuster. Ill take a picture of that tomorrow and upload it. Here are the pics of the tensioners.

hheywire
07-22-2013, 01:37 PM
I know I need new tensioners now. But is this what was really making the noise? I can't find anything else wrong.

Jason125m
07-22-2013, 01:41 PM
How are the cam journals ? No scoring on them?

hheywire
07-22-2013, 02:20 PM
The cam journals are the tensioners right?

hheywire
07-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Or are the cam journals where the cam shaft rotates in?

Jason125m
07-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Cam journals are the aluminum bearing surface the cam rides in

hheywire
07-22-2013, 05:24 PM
Yea they look fine. Can you tell me if the noise could be coming from my chain tensioners by the pictures I put up of them?

dougspcs
07-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Yea they look fine. Can you tell me if the noise could be coming from my chain tensioners by the pictures I put up of them?

For sho!!!

Might want to consider pulling one of the side covers..all that material that was once on the guide must've gone someplace. Probable sitting in the bottom..

Best get down there and clean it out to keep is from stirring up later and causing problems.

Jason125m
07-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Didn't see this question earlier, sorry. But yes. x2 what doug said. You're basically down to the metal. Infact, i've never even seen one that bad

hheywire
07-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Alright who ever worked on my trike before me was a moron! It's obvious who ever it was tried to cut corners by putting a
Socket on the end of the cam tensioner spring pin. Must have been so lazy in replacing the cam tensioners that when they
wore down he didn't replace them and instead made it so they would jam in harder with that little socket on there. Also
Found one broken bolt on the head for the valve cover. Some guy really didn't know what he was doing!