PDA

View Full Version : Need some help guys.. and Howdy everybody

bparker525
07-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Well im new here and this is my first time ever owning a three wheeler ive ridden one once before and know that they are awesome, very dangerous, and take
quite a bit of skill to operate safely. However this is not the point for my post. I recently picked up a 1987 honda ATC 200x for free from my uncle he left it sit for atleast like 7 years and got it out in the winter one time, put some fresh gas in it and it started right up. However, he forgot to check the oil and seized the moto:crazy:r.its missing lots of parts including the front brake lever/master cylinder. Suspension is shot along with most everything else. I plan on restoring this when i
have bored time to spend on it I know its a big job but im better with a wrench than i am at saving money. My Primary concern is firstly getting it to run and
move, Its missing first gear. So i will tear it down go through it and rebuild motor and tranny if necessary. However, i would much rather buy a complete motor,
with tranny. so i was hoping somebody might have a motor that runs and doesnt smoke and might be willing to let me get it for a half decent price i found one bored and stroked with i high comp piston and aggressive cam for 590 on ebay but i find that rather wasteful...why not just start with a bigger motor? also i was
hoping for a list of motors that would fit with years and sizes nothing smaller than the current 200 but equal or greater if any two stroke motors would bolt up
or atleast motor mounts would line up i can make the rest work this would be greatly appreciated.......... oh and by the way Hello everybody pleased to become a part of this wonderful community

bparker525
07-21-2013, 09:41 PM
oh and im really looking for a motor in the 200 price range its alright for a bit higher for the right motor

dougspcs
07-21-2013, 10:45 PM
oh and im really looking for a motor in the 200 price range its alright for a bit higher for the right motor

1st, welcome new member.

2nd, $200 motor in good running condition..good luck.

3rd, damn man. Consider a bit more punctuation and some sentence structure, that post was a brutal read thru! Started out OK, but then it went to pot toward the end.

Should seriously think on cutting down on the sugar intake or coffee..your brain must be doing 90!

Lol

Post some pics of your ride..I love the 87 200x.

bparker525
07-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Thank you, yeah ive been looking on ebay and its rather impossible to find a cheap complete one, let alone an actual 87. I apoligize for the long post but i figured it would be
better to sum it all up in one as opposed to three or four short ones. Also, i apoligize for my sentence structure and punctuation, english never was my strong point lol. Also, i
dont drink coffee or anything with much sugar. Apar, from the occasional sweet tea, I will try to do better with the grammar. I feel a bit weird to say this but i am a bit
embarrassed to post pics as it is. However, i also think that it would be more impressive to the people if i posted an actual in depth restoration from what pretty much is scrap
metal. Whats your opinion, due to the fact that your the first one i met on here ill go by what you think i should do.

CodyRosa
07-22-2013, 12:21 AM
Welcome bparker! Don't even buy a motor off of ebay, always to expensive and plus you have the shipping which will be like 80 bucks probably. You could EASILY find a good running motor for 200 bucks. Just look around craigslist for cheap 3wheelers. Try to find the ones that look terrible and have beat up plastics whatnot that way there not asking for much. Your only trying to get a motor out of it right? I bought 3 motors, 200x rolling chasis, 185 roller, and another 185 frame for 200 bucks last year. I'm still running the same motor. As you can see its quite easy you just have to find the right deals.

honda200xguy
07-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Welcome bparker! Like doug said, it will be hard to find a running good motor at that price..You might end up buying one that says "running good" and bolt it on to find out it's not so good.
What i do know, is the Honda ATC 200S motor will bolt right on, alot of people on here have done it. The only difference is that the 200S is a Semi-Auto Tranny, with no clutch.
When putting one on the 200x it's called turning it into a "auto-x". The 200s shares alot of things with the X, both 192CC engines, the X may have more torque though.
Like cody said, try and find a beat up POS that still runs, probably your best bet. Find one that was rolled has a bent frame or something around those lines that the motor is still good.
Good luck with your project.

bparker525
07-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Thanks to both of you for your input what are your opinions on a restoration? This thing is literally beat to death it really needs everything done to it but i am willing to do every last inch of it by hand with care, although my goal isn't to make it pretty. Too me to make something absolutely like showroom floor new is a waste of a good bike. Moreso, my goal is to renew it to its former glory a glorious machine worth riding and possibly even racing. Do you guys think that i should post pics of what it is now and go through the
process of
posting status pics ill upload some pics as soon as i can. Or, should i just post a pic of what it is now and what it is when i'm done? Now normally i wouldn't talk bad about
anything with a motor but this thing is a heap. Literally, everything needs redone the only good parts are frame, axles, and maybe the brake discs and sprockets. 1st gear is gone and the motor is seized up tight. Finding out that an 87 is rare boosted my spirits quite a bit. However, i think you'll find that when you see pictures you will tell me its not
worth it. Honestly, I wouldn't have paid a dime for this thing if it weren't for the fact that i got it free i wouldn't have it. I literally saved this thing my uncle was about to scrap it and though i have heard trikes are deathtraps i cant let anything with a motor get wasted. Opinions? thank you guys for replying

CodyRosa
07-22-2013, 01:38 AM
No problem parker! You should take some pics and post them here! Bringing a trike back to life is always a good idea to me =D It'll be costly depending on what you do to it I suppose. I wanted to restore my 200x when I got it but I decided why? I live on dirtroads where everything will get destroyed anyways. 173597173598 I brought my trike from a beater.. everything was shot to something i cherish and don't beat on haha.. I actually keep it clean AND it didn't cost me to much. I'm like 300 bucks into it right now but she isn't finished =D

Whatever you decide have fun with it! Be safe and wear a helmet!

bparker525
07-22-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys for your input, Well due to the fact that i cant find a motor for a cheap price it looks like this one is gettin rebuilt. Also, cody i looked on craigslist but people where i live are always trying to get everything they possibly can out of nothing. Plus, I got the trike for free so it doesn't make much sense to me to go buy one for parts as
destroyed as this one is if i were to buy another one i would probably just keep that one lol.

dougspcs
07-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Before you get to far in on a replacement motor..you best do your homework.

I hear what 'cody' and 'honda200xguy' are saying about the whole 'autox' thing and different engine options.

But you best double check that those engines will indeed fit the 87..it is a very different animal from the pre-86 models.

Personally I've never owned an 87 200x(one of the few machines I haven't) but I do know because of it's differences to the earlier models other engine fit may not work..

Any of you guys ever actually install a say 200S motor into an 87 200x?? I'd hate to see this poor guy get lead this way on assumption it will fit like it does in the earlier generation 200X..

CodyRosa
07-22-2013, 03:30 PM
oh .. Neeeeeeevermind lol. I'm sorry I had no clue it was a 87 200x. I wasn't even suggesting an auto x. I was just suggesting find someone that has one beat up with a motor for cheap. No I don't believe any 200 series motors will fit a 2nd gen 200x. I'm sorry about that.

bparker525
07-22-2013, 03:38 PM
You guys are good I want it to have original motor anyway.... And Definitely need a clutch no automatics for me :P but due to high cost. I think im just going to attempt to rebuild the motor. BTW, guys I literally have NO MONEY any money i get for parts is just gonna be selling things i have and scrapping various junk in my yard. My Dad was going to help me out with the money issue but he pissed me off and i now refuse to accept anything if he were to give it anyway. Sorry about the rant there at the end needed to blow off a
bit of steam

bparker525
07-22-2013, 07:33 PM
well im a little late for pics i have the whole thing apart and cylinder off... the good news is the crank is good so is piston valves cam etc. If i can find a rebuild kit I'm going to try and put a piston and rings in it just for preventative repairs. However, the bad news is that means the transmissions seized up but it free spins and shifts through the gears. First gear is missing and doesnt hook up though. So heres my question from someone who might know something. if the transmission and crank spin free but is missing first gear whats
that mean if i move the piston with my hand it and the crank turns but wont turn with the kicker? im thinking one of the pieces of the missing first got lodged in between two of
the gears. Opinions?