PDA

View Full Version : chainsaw clutch

dustrunner
07-24-2013, 10:59 PM
bought a homelite xl-12 saw. bar was off when purchesed.... installed bar and chain and while pulling it over noticed the chain was turning too.... welp = i got it started but the chain always spins= even while ideling ? is the clutch adjustable ? i loosened the nut that holds it on but that didnt seem to do much ? :wondering

El Camexican
07-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Could it be as simple as your idle being to high? If at an idle you put the chain against a log without giving it gas will the chain stop turning or stall? We had a couple small saws around when I was a kid and I recall the chains would turn slowly even at an idle.

tripledog
07-24-2013, 11:51 PM
El Cam nailed it! The clutch is not adjustable (but the idle setting is), and a loose clutch is dangerous. If adjusting the the idle doesn't stop the chain from spinning and it concerns you, just activate the chain brake until you actually start cutting.

RIDE-RED 250r
07-25-2013, 08:25 AM
It sounds like from what the OP is saying that the chain spins just when pulling it over.

If thats the case, most likely the clutch needle bearings are rusted and seized between the clutch hub and crankshaft end.

And if that is the case, a good used serviceable clutch will be in order, and hopefully the crankshaft end can be restored. Even if he can get the bearings to let go, the rust still present in the clutch hub and most likely on the crankshaft end will cause catastrophic failure.

And no, the type of clutch on that saw is not adjustable as with more modern saws.

hoosierlogger
07-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Either the bearing is rusted or the clutch springs are broken and or missing

Gearheadtom
07-25-2013, 04:49 PM
or a previous owner cobbled the clutch together because the needle bearing went, as with my poulan haha. The clutch springs could be weak to.

dustrunner
07-25-2013, 08:50 PM
ok, sounds like the clutch is shot..i have an identical saw that doesn't run, can I take the nut off and swap clutches ? what should I look at on the crank shaft ?

tripledog
07-25-2013, 10:00 PM
I don't see why you couldn't swap clutches, just hope the other one is good. I am not sure what to check out on the crankshaft, other than checking the threads (and the nut may be reverse threaded). Just a tip, but you can keep the motor from turning over during clutch removal very easily. Just remove the spark plug, push the piston to the bottom of the cylinder with a dowel or eraser end of a pencil, stuff the cylinder with thin rope, and the motor will only turn a bit before it locks. Just make sure to leave enough rope hanging out of the cylinder to be able to pull it back out. You may have already known this, and I am just trying to help, not trying to insult you. Please let us know the outcome of your swap.

dustrunner
07-26-2013, 05:20 PM
thanks for the tip tripledog. im gonna try it this weekend....

hoosierlogger
07-26-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't see why you couldn't swap clutches, just hope the other one is good. I am not sure what to check out on the crankshaft, other than checking the threads (and the nut may be reverse threaded). Just a tip, but you can keep the motor from turning over during clutch removal very easily. Just remove the spark plug, push the piston to the bottom of the cylinder with a dowel or eraser end of a pencil, stuff the cylinder with thin rope, and the motor will only turn a bit before it locks. Just make sure to leave enough rope hanging out of the cylinder to be able to pull it back out. You may have already known this, and I am just trying to help, not trying to insult you. Please let us know the outcome of your swap.

Or use an impact and get it off the easiest. The clutch threads are LH thread too BTW. Rope can get wedged in the cyl pretty tight so leave enough to get a good grip on if you decide to go that way.

dustrunner
07-26-2013, 11:53 PM
whats BTW ?

tripledog
07-27-2013, 12:48 AM
BTW is another way of saying "by the way".

dustrunner
07-28-2013, 08:59 PM
welp, didn't get to do the swap so im gonna leave it like it is. the chain spins all the time but so what. just gotta be carefull rite....

hoosierlogger
07-28-2013, 09:24 PM
welp, didn't get to do the swap so im gonna leave it like it is. the chain spins all the time but so what. just gotta be carefull rite....

If you don't fix it right and continue to use it like it is, you are a fool IMHO (in my honest opinion).

You are just asking to cut your self.

tripledog
07-28-2013, 10:44 PM
With a little effort, you can fix the saw. I would stongly recommend doing so. I already have your number, as you made an inquiry about the pair of 250 Big Reds that I will likely be buried with. I would be more than happy to call you and talk you through the swap, if you like. Human extremities (fingers and such) are unlike salamander tails... which CAN grow back.

dustrunner
07-29-2013, 09:56 PM
ok, ya talked me into it...im not using it so I will fix it correctly when time allows...thanks...

tripledog
07-29-2013, 10:40 PM
A wise choice, indeed. I am sure you won't regret it.