PDA

View Full Version : New unused 86 350x engine

honda200xguy
07-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Woooooowwww

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/rvs/3960001275.html

Ghostv2
07-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Random quick question, does it hurt the motor at all if its just left open with the carb and exhaust off and sitting on a shelf like that? I feel like it would tarnish or do something to the inside.

honda200xguy
07-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Random quick question, does it hurt the motor at all if its just left open with the carb and exhaust off and sitting on a shelf like that? I feel like it would tarnish or do something to the inside.
I feel the same way, but if you cleaned it up i think it would be just as good as new

Flyingw
07-26-2013, 12:31 AM
What happened back then was the dealers were instructed by Honda to cut the neck of the frame off and that got sent back to Honda as proof that the 3wheelers were destroyed. The motors and forks were donated to votechs, colleges, and high schools. The rest was disposed of. Even though the motors were never run, they still have 27 years of age on them meaning the seals and clutch plates are that old. Far beyond their service life. Buying one of these motors and installing it does not guarantee the motor is serviceable for use. The motor would need to be torn down, inspected for possible internal corrosion, seals, clutch plates, and gaskets replaced.

honda200xguy
07-26-2013, 01:23 AM
What happened back then was the dealers were instructed by Honda to cut the neck of the frame off and that got sent back to Honda as proof that the 3wheelers were destroyed. The motors and forks were donated to votechs, colleges, and high schools. The rest was disposed of. Even though the motors were never run, they still have 27 years of age on them meaning the seals and clutch plates are that old. Far beyond their service life. Buying one of these motors and installing it does not guarantee the motor is serviceable for use. The motor would need to be torn down, inspected for possible internal corrosion, seals, clutch plates, and gaskets replaced.

Yes sir, but once that's done, that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro would run AMAZING!

hatc200x1
07-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Its a Honda, it could be 200 years old sitting on a shelf and you would put in a 350x and it would fire up first kick!

kb0nly
07-26-2013, 03:24 AM
And then puke oil out of dry and hardened seals... lol

A true time capsule yes. But I agree it will need work. It depends on the piston location as well, if its sat for all that time at the bottom the whole cylinder could be rusty from humidity. If it was at the top of its travel and the motor had oil in it then better chances for a clean bore and nice bottom end.

I have seen NOS crate motors before that had rusty oil and lots of scale inside.

greenhuman
07-26-2013, 07:45 AM
I was talking to a ATV business owner a few years ago and he told be he witnessed a huge pile of new ATC fenders and plastics of all models being put through a tree shredder when the ban came in. He said he had never been so close to crying in public.

Dirtweed
07-26-2013, 08:45 AM
When did that Ban kick in? I know when I was buying my 1988 TRX250R in late summer 1988 there was a new 350X and 250SX that the dealer had on the
floor. He was going to give me a great price on the 350X, but I wanted the 2-stroke at the time so I passed on it. Where is that time machine when I need it?

Dirtcrasher
07-29-2013, 12:07 AM
My crate motor have sat here for another 5 years.

2 out of 3 needed nothing, not a clutch or seal and the carbs were not touched either.

The last one has not found a chassis yet :D