PDA

View Full Version : NOS honda ATC speedo

OKSTATE#1
07-25-2013, 11:31 PM
I just bought a NOS honda ATC speedo off of eBay for my 1985 Big Red. I found the instructions for mounting in some archives off this board, just wondering if anyone has the hookup on a speedo cable and the rest of the parts I need, i.e., the gearbox for the front axle, the clamps for the cable, and the mounting bracket. Thanks in advance.

kb0nly
07-25-2013, 11:38 PM
The cable and the gearbox are going to be a major PITA to find... There was mention of a new replacement cable on here a while back, from another model or a company that could make them, i don't remember the details, searching should find the info.

As for the gearbox though... Oh boy... Thats like near unobtanium on the chart of elements. Best bet is to hope someone on here is hoarding one.

OKSTATE#1
07-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Well, thank you for responding anyway. I figured it would be a big deal. But that speedo was new in the box (at least it looks it and was described that way lol, haven't got it yet) and I figured I could find the other parts or maybe do some fabbing if I have to. But having an ATC speedo was my main concern. I may be able to recreate that bracket. I think the cable may be something I can put together as well, but the kicker will be that gearbox for sure. That I know I can't do myself. Unless someone has an idea or two....

kb0nly
07-26-2013, 12:47 AM
The bracket isn't too bad, i know that has been discussed before. There was one on ebay even a while back, they show up now and then. The cable if i can find that post with the search on here i know a guy linked to a website that could make a replacement cable, i just cant find the dang post.

The killer is the gearbox and then also the spacer that goes along with it, you take out the stock axle spacer and the gearbox goes on and engages with that tang sticking off the wheel hub, then a shorter spacer goes on after the gearbox. You can make that spacer by cutting down the non-speedo original, its just finding the gearbox thats the kick in the balls.

Here is a complete kit on eBay, that will at least give you a look at the other parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Honda-ATC250-Speedometer-Kit-95011-1985-/140389316300?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20afdaf6cc&vxp=mtr

OKSTATE#1
07-26-2013, 01:01 AM
Is that the gearbox I need? If so, I will just buy that kit and use my speedo

OKSTATE#1
07-26-2013, 01:09 AM
Well, I went ahead and bought it. The seller says I can return it if its not what I need. Looks like the bracket isn't quite like the original, but the gearbox and cable looks as though it would work with my speedometer. We will see I guess. Thanks for the help!

kb0nly
07-26-2013, 03:27 AM
Should be what you need. Post up some pics when you get it mounted! That was a good kit price honestly. I have seen the Speedo itself go for that.

OKSTATE#1
07-26-2013, 05:35 PM
I will do that as soon as I can. Hopefully it will all come in soon. I'm new to this site, but I think posting pics will be easy it appears.

ATC250ES
07-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Is that about the going price $200.00 for a original speedo to fit these machines?

OKSTATE#1
07-27-2013, 01:18 PM
That $200.00 seems to be an ok deal I guess. I saw in some archives were they were going for around that some years ago, I think it was a post from 2004. I posted a pic of my big red in the other new member section, I don't want to make anyone upset and post it again. I also grabbed the wrong pic, my headlight was on in one and not the other, and I grabbed the one with the headlight on. Sorry about that, I know it distorts the image a bit. Once I am able to post in the regular section, I will go wherever the BR guys hang and post a pic of the speedo when I get it mounted up :beer

OKSTATE#1
07-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Here's another speedo on eBay like the "ATC" one I just bought. I haven't been here long enough to post in the "eBay/CL" forum, so here's the link just in case anyone else would like one:

http://bit.ly/13UWObu

350x'inNY
08-01-2013, 09:35 AM
That complete kit you bought is an aftermarket kit from Maier/Travel rite ... Not sure if its cable end fitting will fit the Hondaline Speedohead. I have the complete Hondaline setup on my Big Red. The Big Red uses a "right hand" drive unit which are even harder to find because that is what 350X and 85-86R uses. All the 110-185-200-200x and 81-84R use left drive units.

ATC ADDICTED
08-01-2013, 10:01 AM
my neighbor showed my a speedo from a 200x he has had for a while ,,,, ill ask him if he has everything and get back to you.... I needed another reason to stop in and talk to him anyways... he might have a 85-85 250r carb I may be able to trade/buy off of him...

aldochina
08-01-2013, 10:05 AM
most all older honda motorcycles ran the same type drive cable, you just have to find something close to the right length. The drive unit is harder to come by.

OKSTATE#1
08-02-2013, 12:20 AM
I just wish I could find the three clamps, the wiring "sub harness", and the mount. I am going to try and fab up a mount like the original. I have seen enough pics that I think I can come pretty close. I will have to get it all hooked up to see if the cable works. It seems to fit fine, but we will see. If anyone has these parts and would like to make some cash off me, let me know lol.