PDA

View Full Version : top end G and H or local machine shop

averysdad
07-26-2013, 08:32 PM
going to do a top end rebuild on my 200x the local machine shop wants $40 to rework the cyl G and H on ebay wants $154 for the machine work gaskets piston rings every thing. called G and H guy says they use shindy pistons and rings 9.2 to 1 compression :wondering don't see that one on ebay. by the time I pay $40 to the local guy buy the piston kit gasket kit and all that the price will be about the same maybe 20$ more at G and H but they probably do atc/atv cyls all day and know what they are doing I would think. what would you guys do?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-87-Honda-ATC-200X-Top-End-Rebuild-Kit-Cylinder-Machining-Service-ATV-/221132178190?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337c81430e&vxp=mtr

ScreaminRed
07-26-2013, 09:10 PM
Do you have to bore it out or do you just want to? G&H's kit is for an oversized piston. I would stick with locally that way they can tell you if it needs boring or just honing. You also have access to them and your cylinder while the work is being done. Just my $.02 :)

averysdad
07-26-2013, 09:43 PM
I only want to bore it if I have to and as little as possible. It most likely will need to be bored this thing is spitting oil out of the muffler lol but I also have a spare jug if needed. How much overe bore is the g and h? I just though they measured the cyl and whent to the next size up. So it's a one size fits all with them? Local guy says bring the cyl he will measure it then bring new piston and he will Mach it.

6speedthumper
07-26-2013, 09:56 PM
I would go locally, and get a better piston (forged & more comp). If the local machine shop does good work, go for it. You may be able to find a Wiseco top end kit cheaper then buying the piston and gasket kits seperately.

6speedthumper
07-26-2013, 10:00 PM
And, no, it's not one size fits all. A standard bore piston is only going to fit a standard bore cyliner. Same goes for a .020" over bore piston, .040" over bore, etc... Until your cylinder is measured and inspected, you won't know what size piston you need. You may be able to ge away with not boring it and sticking with the same size you already have; or, it needs to be taken to the next size larger. If you know the current bore size then you can just get a larger piston for it from the get, bring said piston and cylinder to machinest, and just have them bore and hone the cylinder to match the new piston.

Flyingw
07-26-2013, 10:02 PM
I bought one of G&H kits for my last SX build. I was also faced with the same dilemma, local or G&H but in the end, I concluded the G&H kits was one stop shopping delivered to my door. No brainer for me. Their cylinders are bored to the next size just as the local place would do but typically a local machine shop will require you to show up with your cylinder and new piston but to do that you need to know what the old bore is at and select the right oversized piston. G&H eliminates all that.

Flyingw
07-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Remember the new piston whether its forged or cast has a clearance dimension the machine shop needs to setup their boring bar. That's why they need the new piston when you bring them your cylinder.

ScreaminRed
07-26-2013, 10:07 PM
It all depends how bad your cylinder is scored, if it is. That will determine the next piston size. Go local, if he's decent. Like i said you'll have personal access to your cylinder and them if you have any questions. You definitely have options like 6speed said with forged and higher compression.

hippyplz
07-26-2013, 10:26 PM
I like to support my local bike/machine shop when i can.

effort=results
07-27-2013, 02:41 PM
gh did my 110 . no complaints.