PDA

View Full Version : Tug Of Shame. )o:

DasUberKraut
07-26-2013, 10:01 PM
So I met my parents in Black River Falls, WI today for a ride on the trails. Trails were beautifully groomed. Deer everywhere. Perfect day for a ride.
Made it 20 miles no problems. Then just lost all power out of nowhere and died. Tried for about 10 minutes to restart. Engine was too hot for ether. Ended up ripping my pull cord out. Old man grabbed the tow strap. It would pop off but die as soon as I let off the gas so I didn't ram into him. Finally got it running and idling. Went to remove the tow strap and it died. Couldn't get it to pop off again. Feels like I burned up the clutches or maybe even trashed the tranny trying to get it to pop.

So I received the tug of shame for 25 miles back to the truck. I'm hoping it's just some rust or dirt in the carb. We shall see. It'll be a while before I can work on it.

Also found this gem. PO's genius rigging gave out. I almost swapped it for the proper one yesterday but I got lazy. Thought you guys would enjoy this pic. Back brakes still work strong.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/Duggalo/IMG_20130726_200543_771_zps12f2c70f.jpg

wisconsinite
07-27-2013, 12:24 AM
Meh, happens to everybody once in a while. Last time i got towed i ran out of gas like a bone head. Reached down to flip it on reserve, it was already there:cry:

DasUberKraut
07-27-2013, 12:39 AM
I had over 3/4 of a tank still. My dad's Rancher ES... A 400 I believe was a beast to say the least. But he was using up more gas than I was when I was running. And I was tearing it up those 20 miles I got to ride. He won't do over 30 mph with my mom on the back.

Honestly. I was a little jealous. His machine powered through the deep soft sand and up the hills no problem with me in tow. At least I was pulled by a Honda. So it stings just a little less if it was an inferior brand. Ha ha!

3wheeled roofer
07-27-2013, 10:25 AM
25 miles is a hell of a tow. Bigger man than I.....I would of sat back with everyones coolers as someone went back for the truck. Towing sucks ass when trailprotrailpro not the tow truck. Yes it happens to the best of us. let us know what went wrong.

atc007
07-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Judging by the pic and the words you're running a auto X. I seriously doubt you hurt the 200s clutches or tranny :). Probably will find a filthy fuel system or failing stator coil. Let us know though .

83 200e
07-27-2013, 12:57 PM
gotta love when that happens, but it happens to everyone once in a while!

Larry T Moore
07-27-2013, 01:13 PM
:lol:had to pull back an 85 warrior with my 86 200x once...he popped a ball joint...i let my buddy ride double until i hadda pull a hill..as soon as we got to the parking lot my bike took off like a rocket, turned around and the warrior broke free and took off into the woods and endo'ed...I still rib him about it to this day

bkm
07-27-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm amazed that the rear brakes still worked.

DasUberKraut
07-27-2013, 04:54 PM
I was thoroughly amazed I still had brakes too. LOL.

007 - Yes it's an Auto-X. 85 X with 82 ATC200 motor. Not a 200S.

I got in a bidding war this morning for this recoil rebuild kit. $26 ain't too bad. It started at $10. Still gotta order the springs though. Doesn't look like any are in the picture. I can't really tell what's in the small baggie on the lower left in the one picture. All I can see is a washer. The cams may be in there too. Not sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251308823425?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Jason125m
07-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Happens to everyone once in a while, my worst one wasn't even on a 3 wheeler though, stupid boats.

First rule of buying a machine in my opinion is going through the carb 100 percent, flushing the tank, and installing an inline fuel filter before going on a long ride.

El Camexican
07-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Happens to everyone once in a while, my worst one wasn't even on a 3 wheeler though, stupid boats

Was that the time you left your paddles at home and went fishing up Shiit Creek?:) Sleds suck too, but nothing is harder than towing a broken bike over rough terrain.

Dirtcrasher
07-30-2013, 12:42 AM
Ask Fabio how fast I towed him back to camp.

Apparently I didn't hear the screams, but we were losing daylight and had some hills to conquer before we made it down the mountain :D!!

honda200xguy
07-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Happens to everyone once in a while, my worst one wasn't even on a 3 wheeler though, stupid boats.

First rule of buying a machine in my opinion is going through the carb 100 percent, flushing the tank, and installing an inline fuel filter before going on a long ride.

Funny, i got stuck out on my boat on Friday. Took it out on the lake, had 1/4 tank when i left.. looked down after 10minutes and i was OUT redlined! i go "trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro were almost outta gas we should turn back" and no joke that second it died. Of course there were not paddles and i didn't bring the SPARE tank with! We floated into a man's property on the other side of the lake and sat for 2 hours in the rain till my buddy came with gas. Haha boats SUCKKK

DasUberKraut
07-30-2013, 03:36 AM

I went through the carb right away. Went so far as to buy new fuel lines. I got lazy. There was half a tank of gas in so I said F it and left it in. Couldn't remember where I packed up my inline filters and didn't bother looking. I just wanted to ride. It's my fault. 100%. Chalk it up to negligence.

jb2wheels
07-30-2013, 08:08 AM
My best tow involved a Chevy Blazer, a case of beer, and jumping for hang time. Snapped the front 10 bolt like a pretzel.

Jason125m
08-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Funny, i got stuck out on my boat on Friday. Took it out on the lake, had 1/4 tank when i left.. looked down after 10minutes and i was OUT redlined! i go "trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro were almost outta gas we should turn back" and no joke that second it died. Of course there were not paddles and i didn't bring the SPARE tank with! We floated into a man's property on the other side of the lake and sat for 2 hours in the rain till my buddy came with gas. Haha boats SUCKKK

I have a love hate relationship with boats. What happened with me is the impeller blew on me. No water pump equals no boating :'( Was a long tow.

DasUberKraut
08-04-2013, 02:06 PM
So I finally took a look at my X.

I'm a complete idiot. I should not be allowed to own anything with a motor. I'm completely ashamed.
In my haste to ride, I neglected to check the oil. Over a quart low. She'll start no problem. But now it's got a wicked tick from the motor. I'm angry as hell at myself. I don't have the means for a top end rebuild. I got fresh oil in it now. Going to run it for a bit and flush it. Going to check the valve lash and see if they are just out of adjustment. I checked the cam chain already. It was a little loose. I'm such an IDIOT!!!