PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to groove a rod for fitting of a circlip?

Orangecnty250r
07-27-2013, 08:31 PM
I need to fab a brake rod. What is the best DIY way to groove each end for a circlip and have it look clean?

tri again
07-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Maybe try a pipe cutter.
The kind with a cutting wheel that can be tightened a little at a time?

Most often used on copper pipe as I recall

bkm
07-28-2013, 12:12 AM
If you were closer I could just chuck it in my mini lathe for you. Any buddies close with a little bench top lathe?

Scootertrash
07-28-2013, 10:08 AM
You could try cutting a groove in the rod with a hacksaw, but the groove might be a bit wider than the snap ring.

Got a pic of what you're trying to do, like where the snap ring will be and how it holds what where? We may be able to come up with a different method that's easier for the home mechanic to do. ;)

bkm
07-28-2013, 11:19 AM
I was also thinking of mounting it in a drill press if you have one and using a triangle file with very light pressure while it turns at a slow speed.

Orangecnty250r
07-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Thanks, I just bought the rod today. I was trying to pick what method to try first. I thought about clamping my dremel with the cutting wheel to the bench and setting up a jig, then turn the rod slowly against the spinning dremel wheel but I think I like the drill press/file idea ! The local machine shops are jammed up....this is when I wish I had the big boy metal toys!

bkm
07-28-2013, 04:53 PM
What diameter, length, type of metal is the rod.

Red Rider
07-28-2013, 05:31 PM
I think I like the drill press/file idea ! The local machine shops are jammed up....this is when I wish I had the big boy metal toys!I've done this before, and I used a drill press to spin the rod, while I held a hacksaw blade against the spinning material. It worked good, about as good as one can do without a lathe. If I can make this exhaust flange on a drill press, you should be able to do what you're wanting to do with a drill press as well.

KASEY
07-28-2013, 05:53 PM
yeah but red rider is superman ,,,, I have seen his cape!!

Dirtcrasher
07-29-2013, 02:03 AM
Send it to someone with or buy a lathe.

Those 3 in 1 machines are great for small work!