PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about my shaft

Jordyraye
07-28-2013, 06:45 PM
I have an 84 yamaha 200e shaft. I was wondering if I could put motocross forks on it? If it will fit in the triple clamps I just wonder if the axle bolt will still fit. Also my charging system doesn't seem to be working, I put a new battery and the electric starter worked for a week or two but now it doesn't and the neutral light seems to be dimmer until you rev it up a little. Also I'm running 25x13x9's in it right now do you think I could turn 26 inch tires with grip like silverbacks or something?

dougspcs
07-29-2013, 08:14 AM
I have an 84 yamaha 200e shaft. I was wondering if I could put motocross forks on it? If it will fit in the triple clamps I just wonder if the axle bolt will still fit. Also my charging system doesn't seem to be working, I put a new battery and the electric starter worked for a week or two but now it doesn't and the neutral light seems to be dimmer until you rev it up a little. Also I'm running 25x13x9's in it right now do you think I could turn 26 inch tires with grip like silverbacks or something?

1st question..motocross forks? Did you have something specific in mind? Or is this just a general question whether they will all fit? If your thought is to put a motocross front end and wheel on there?? EWWW!

2nd question..charging system on this machine has been known to cause issues. There are a couple tests you can perform with a volt meter..all detailed out in the manual. Likely a bad stator.. Download it here: http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

Lastly the oversize tire question..my personal impression would be a big no on this machine. Though it seems to be a big thing on the Honda trikes, they seem to have a little tougher auto-clutch system. I myself wouldn't do this on the Yamaha..the extra strain of the heavier, larger diameter tires will probably bring on a clutch slipping problem and faster breakdown of your clutch components..

Think smaller and more agressive, especially since you will want the extra torque..I'm reading between the lines but assume that mudding it what you had in mind?

These are great..I have them on my SX. 22x12x9 will direct fit your rims..

http://www.bikebandit.com/kenda-k299-bear-claw-atv-tire

Jordyraye
07-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. I would like to put motocross forks only for a better ride, keeping the same triples and tire, just putting the actual fork, if possible.

I looked today and all the acid had boiled from my battery, I'm guessing maybe a voltage regulator problem? Although I have yet to figure out what physical part that actually is.

As for tires I still want floatation in the water I just need a little more bite or maybe another inch of two of clearance, riding with new quads with 30 inch tires I tend to get hung up a lot

Jordyraye
04-10-2015, 10:37 PM
Well, I put some 25x12.5 bear claws on it. It is rough but it sure chews better. A new voltage regulator was also needed. Haven't done anything about the forks either. Another problem I'm having now is the when I go near vertical on a wheelie it will start to miss. Any ideas?

jolson185
04-10-2015, 11:17 PM
Well, I put some 25x12.5 bear claws on it. It is rough but it sure chews better. A new voltage regulator was also needed. Haven't done anything about the forks either. Another problem I'm having now is the when I go near vertical on a wheelie it will start to miss. Any ideas?

Yeah. Just like a spitfire in a nose dive. Starving of fuel. Carburetors aren't designed to go vertical.

muthey
04-11-2015, 12:26 AM
it is definitely your voltage regulator they tend to go bad frequently on the ytm's, I am still in the process of adapting a chinese one to match my 225 which will also match the 200's, will make it so much cheaper to replace them after that.

onformula1
04-11-2015, 02:58 AM
I am not a 84 yamaha 200e shaft expert.

But, You have created the best title for a thread ever!

"Some questions about my shaft"... :lol:

Water though the nose, El Camexican style.

Jordyraye
04-12-2015, 11:33 PM
Haha! Well I set my float level before I went out yesterday and it solved my problem. I really put the bear laws to the test yesterday and I must say I couldn't be happier with those tires. The quads I went with were frequently using four wheel drive and even with my front tire balled up and not turning at all I was still moving forward. Never got stuck once.

jhromadka
11-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Has anyone figured out if a cheap Chinese voltage regulator will work for the ytm 225dr? I need a regulator and can't seem to find a used one anywhere. I tried adapting a cheap universal regulator but no luck, it would regulate the voltage down too much. It would only put out 6 volts max to the battery and lights.