PDA

View Full Version : Broken Studs

neverdone
07-29-2013, 09:29 PM
So what started out as an easy job ended as a nightmare.

Got a wild hair up my but that said I should take the exhaust off my 250sx and blast it and throw a coat of paint on it. As I am sure you can guess I under estimated the rust. First one broke right off. Second one gave me hope then broke off. Any advice on getting the studs out? They are still sticking out I have stud extractors but not sure they are going to help here. I brushed them up and soaked them with blaster. Any other advice? Where can I find new ones in the event that I get the old ones out? Are the. Studs right or left hand thread in the head?

Guess I really screwed up this time.

briano
07-29-2013, 09:35 PM
If there is a little bit sticking out, you could try welding a nut to the stud and then try turning it out. Be sure to block off the exhaust hole so nothing goes in there when welding. The studs are right hand thread.

barnett468
07-29-2013, 10:32 PM
So what started out as an easy job ended as a nightmare.

Got a wild hair up my but that said I should take the exhaust off my 250sx and blast it and throw a coat of paint on it. As I am sure you can guess I under estimated the rust. First one broke right off. Second one gave me hope then broke off. Any advice on getting the studs out? They are still sticking out I have stud extractors but not sure they are going to help here. I brushed them up and soaked them with blaster. Any other advice? Where can I find new ones in the event that I get the old ones out? Are the. Studs right or left hand thread in the head?

Guess I really screwed up this time.

PB Blaster is weak. KROIL oil is king.

If it comes to extracting, grind stud flat, hit it in the center with SHARP punch, start with 3/32 bit with starter drill bit tip [has smaller bit on tip]. Drill it STRAIGHT and work up in size from there until close to size of stud.

When it still refuses to come out finish drilling and helicoil i.

Studs are available at most motorcycle shops and ALL napa auto stores. It is coarse metric thread. Right hand as mentioned.

GunsShooting
07-30-2013, 12:24 AM
I agree that welding something onto the stud is the way to go. Not only will it give you something to get hold of, but the heat on the stud will help loosen it - especially if you hit it with plenty of penetrating oil while it's hot. If you can swing it, weld on a nut and then use an impact wrench judiciously. Save all the pieces of the old studs to take with you when you shop for new ones.

neverdone
07-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Never thought of welding on a nut to try and turn it with. That sounds like what I am going to do.

Never heard of Kroil........ where do I find that? Any where I suppose.....

Anyone know the size and such of the studs so I can get them from napa in the morning? My local bike shop don't have crap for parts unless you just want a plug or and oil filter.

Jason125m
07-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Studs are 8 x 40. Not s ure of the thread pitch. Just order OEM
http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

item number 12

neverdone
07-30-2013, 12:47 PM
New studs, nuts, gasket, all ordered as well as a couple things for my 400ex. That site has some good prices!

tri again
07-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Not to hijack but I'm looking at the same issue.

I was thinking about cutting the nuts off, cleaning the threads
and using long brass nuts that cover all the threads on the exhaust
studs, maybe some antiseize?

Is there an easy way to avoid this heartache?
stainless studs if they do come out?

There's also a thread on penetrating oils and something about
acetone and ATF, kroil, liq wrench etc in order of preference.
Also heard from an aircraft mechanic that
oil of wintergreen will actually shrink rust particles but that may also
have been the easiest way for him to get me to stop
asking questions.

Best of luck. Pls let us know how it goes.

Jason125m
07-30-2013, 05:33 PM
The way to avoid this heart ache is by using an oxy aceteline or oxy propane torch and heating the nuts red hot before trying to remove them. They come off like butter. I just finished taking 4 of the worst studs i have ever seen , using my torch, and it was EASY

Worden18
07-30-2013, 11:07 PM
I'd like to say that 50/50 acetone - tranny oil mix applied religiously for a few days works every time. Every rusty nightmare I've tackled has come loose.

honda200xguy
07-31-2013, 01:57 AM
I've done the same thing..
Do what barnett said to do it works..I just drilled with bigger sizes till it was completly gone..thank god i didn't mess up the rivets on the inside.

kb0nly
07-31-2013, 08:17 PM
I will usually break out the blue tip wrench... AKA torch them little SOB's...

But yep if you broke them welding a nut on that works every time for me. If you have access to a welder and a torch then after the nuts are welded on, and before they completely cool, try cracking em loose from the head, if they won't go heat up the new nuts you welded on to a nice cherry red and then let em cool back down a while and then try wrenching again. The heating and cooling cycles will free em up in the aluminum.

kebby28
07-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Heli-coils are garbage for anything on a motor I have discovered. And I have never seen them used on anything but motors. (Head studs/ Exhaust studs. But, if you can't get a hold on a torch or a welder, than drill small to start then go up untill you can get the biggest easy out in there. And carefull not to break the easy out off in there because they are impossible to drill...

neverdone
08-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I have been soaking them for the last few days with Seafoam Deep Creep, comes pretty highly recomended around here and it is not supposed to disipate with heat so hopefully it helps. Anyway, I will not use an easy out. I have a pretty good track record at breaking them, and I don't want to junk the cylinder from a broken easy out.

In the mean time, I am still waiting on the new studs and crap. Just got confirmation yesterday that they have shipped, due in on Monday. That kind upsets me, so much for wheeling this weekend. No big deal though I guess, my new tires and front wheel aren't here yet either so I guess this weekend I will spend a little time trying to get some other stuff done.

emmie357
08-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Any luck? Welding a nut usually works, I also like the combo of heat, penatrating oil, and cutting a slit into the stud for a flathead screwdriver... just don't force it or it will break again.

Oil, heat, try... if it don't move then let cool, oil, heat, try again. Rinse and repeat. Eventually it should come out.

neverdone
08-12-2013, 06:04 AM
Welp, oiling for days, heat and welding a nut to it did nothing. Snapped them both off with out even trying. Guess now I am going to be drilling and tapping. I am pretty good with a drill and tap, but didn't want to have to do that. Such is life I guess.

barnett468
08-13-2013, 04:40 AM
Bummer, all I can suggest is the steps in my post have always given me the best results..

neverdone
08-13-2013, 06:23 AM
No big deal, started drilling the old ones out last night. One step away from tap size, will be doing that tonight or tomorrow.

barnett468
08-14-2013, 03:44 AM
No big deal, started drilling the old ones out last night. One step away from tap size, will be doing that tonight or tomorrow.ok cool, dip the drill tip in a little oil so it doesn't dull or grab, it will also cut better.

GunsShooting
08-14-2013, 09:08 AM
ok cool, dip the drill tip in a little oil so it doesn't dull or grab, it will also cut better.

Be careful what kind of oil you use, though... Sometimes it lubricates and makes the drill bit stop cutting when you use good stuff.

Russ