PDA

View Full Version : got an 84 Yamaha ytm200

84ytm200
07-30-2013, 05:09 PM
ok so i am new to trikes but not to dirtbikes and quads. got a good trade i believe on this trike. it runs good except for one problem, going up/down steep hills or making sharp turns it bogs down and dies and will not crank again til leveled out. i have already taken the carb off and cleaned it very well. it really wasnt that dirty inside anyways. im not sure what else to check on it now. this trike has good tires, doesnt smoke or knock. plastics are faded and it needs new front brake pads but i love it. traded a beat up 2000 kawasaki ke100 enduro for this trike. i just want to figure out the carb issue. any help would be great. i have searched on here and on google but cant find any info other than cleaning the carb which i have done

Jwmajic
07-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Have you checked to see if the floats are set right?

84ytm200
07-30-2013, 06:14 PM
im not sure exactly how to set the float on this trike. it has a mikuni carb. i did however just install a clear inline fuel filter and with it running it doesnt seem to fill the filter up very much. im thinking maybe the fuel valve is clogged or something in the tank is blocking it. still could be something with the float as well though

GunsShooting
07-30-2013, 06:50 PM
I recommend you pull the fuel tank off and rinse it out well. The way I do it is slosh the gas all around, then pour it into a plastic drain pain. Then I strain the gas back into the fuel tank using a funnel and cloth. If the gas is old and stale, though, just dump it (makes good weed killer). You might be surprised how much crud is in the tank, which keeps the gas from flowing.

Might also be water in there too, and since water is heavier than gas, it sits at the bottom of the tank and causes problems.

84ytm200
07-30-2013, 06:56 PM
i will try that. when i got the trike last week it was almost out of gas and i went to the store and got a few gallons in a can. filled up the trike and been riding it around so now its down to maybe a quarter of a tank i guess. im gonna go pull it off in a few and see about cleaning it out. maybe that is my problem.

sp8twn
07-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Flush and rinse tank and petcock,,, Don't be shy to take it apart!! GL!!

84ytm200
07-30-2013, 07:50 PM
i pulled the tank and checked the flow of the petcock, everything is good on that end. so im guessing that means the float isnt allowing enough fuel into the bowl to be picked up in corners and hills. i downloaded the manual for this trike so maybe i can find the info in the 500 + pages lol. gonna try to find out how to adjust the float in this thing and hope thats the problem. it runs really good except the bogging down on corners and hills. and if it happens to die it will not crank back up until its on flat ground

GunsShooting
07-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Make sure you clean out that tank though - crud (and water) in there will cause intermittent problems... meaning it might work fine now, but not necessarily later.

I have had much more trouble with dirty gas & lines than with floats that needed adjustment. But while you have the carb apart, super-clean every orifice again. Sometimes it takes two going-throughs to make it right.

GunsShooting
07-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Also, check the oil and make sure it's not overfilled.

84ytm200
07-30-2013, 08:21 PM
just discovered something very odd. if i have the trike running and i pull it over on its left side (orientation like sitting on the seat) and make it almost flip, it will still run normal, but if i do the same leaning it to the right, it shuts off immediately. i looked in the shop manual and it said use clear tubing to check fuel level in the bowl and it seems to be just a bit higher in the clear tube than the top of my bowl. does that mean i need to adjust the float level down some? or am i maybe just not getting the right reading from the tube?

GunsShooting
07-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Remove carb bowl. Attach fuel supply to carb and turn it on. Hold carb right side up with float on bottom, below the level of the fuel supply so gravity can do its thing. Gently lift float until it meets resistance; fuel flow should also stop. Float should be level with the carb body when it meets resistance and the flow stops. If not level with body, bend the tab until it is.

84ytm200
07-31-2013, 01:29 PM
ok thanks. i will try that in a lil bit. its raining right now so have to wait for it to stop. thank you so much for the help