PDA

View Full Version : New here, parts question.

Mike193
07-31-2013, 06:01 PM
So I got an ATC 70 this past week and the tire popped on me. I realized these are 2 piece rims, do I need to order a new o-ring to seal the 2 halves or can I just order a new tire?

GunsShooting
07-31-2013, 06:16 PM
When I changed tires on my old ATC I just re-used the old gaskets. Might not be a bad idea to gooby it with some silicone sealant before you reassemble.

kb0nly
07-31-2013, 08:41 PM
If you can avoid silicone its better not to, its a really PITA if you ever got to split them again!

What i do for them, if i don't just put a tube in the tire as its easier, i make a rubber gasket out of an old innertube or buy a large sheet of rubberized gasket material from the local NAPA and then use one of the halves as a pattern and trace it out, cut it out, and bolt together with that gasket in the middle.

If you want to use a sealant though get the liquid wheel sealant, its a black brush on goop, most tires shops have it. It also comes in a tube that you put in a caulk gun. That stuff seals but stays nice and flexible and will peel right off when you have to split them again. I have had to deal with two part wheels that someone used RTV, aka silicone, to seal them up and i had to use a wedge and beat them apart after removing the tire the old fashioned way with tire spoons.

Mike193
07-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Awesome, thank you. I will order an innertube and keep the same outer tire as the hole isn't too substantial.

Mike193
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Where should I order an innertube for my tire from?

GunsShooting
07-31-2013, 09:01 PM
A tube is a good plan. Just make sure it's the right size... I once replaced one on an ATC185 and the tube was way too narrow, didn't support the side walls.

OKSTATE#1
07-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Just FYI, if you need some new tires, look on ebay right now. I have not provided a direct link because there seems to be a few folks on there selling tires for those sizes of trikes. I put in "ATC tires" and they came up, primarily because I was looking for some tires for my BR.

kb0nly
07-31-2013, 09:40 PM
If you got a small hole in the tire take it to a tire shop and have them patch it from the inside, or get a kit and glue on a patch yourself, but either way patch it. Otherwise the edges of the hole will create a spot that wears on the tube and shortening its life.

I have tubed many ATC tires, most of the time because of leaking two part wheels or bead leaks not because the tire itself was bad. Get one with a TR6 valve, its the bolt in style valve. By having that style and bolted into the wheel it can't pull the valve into the wheel from rotating inside. These low pressure tires tend to make the tube want to creep around inside of them. You can get a good tube just about any place, just get it the same size as the tire so the measurements match. Plenty of them available on eBay, otherwise if you have a good tire shop locally they might have them. I buy them from a local tire shop here that keeps them in stock. Most shops will have them or can get them in a day or two. Average cost seems to be around $20 if you just buy the tube and walk out.

If its a front tire get a tube with a 90 degree valve, otherwise with the front axle its next to impossible to get a dang air chuck on the valve. Those can be bought in the TR6 variety to but they are a bit harder to find, generally for front tires i just get one with the long metal 90 degree valve and put it in and don't worry about it, if it tries to creep around it wont go far because of the bend.

I know a lot of guys hate tubes, but overall i think they tend to lend themselves to better reliability. Sure if you get a nail or something like that poked into the tire you have to pull it all apart and fix it, can't just put a plug in, but i HATE tire plugs. They never seem to work worth a crap. Patching from the inside after a puncture is the best way to go anyway. So then you buy two patches and you patch the tire and the tube and your off again!