PDA

View Full Version : how did honda pint trikes?

averysdad
07-31-2013, 09:32 PM
how did they paint these trikes in the Honda factory I mean what type of paint did they use and what was the process? frame swingarm skid plates pegs. was it baked on?

dman10
07-31-2013, 09:38 PM
Not sure, but if your looking to repaint them I would powder coat. I'm sure they baked it on though.

averysdad
07-31-2013, 09:55 PM
I have 3 trikes now that I plan on restoring slowly and I plan on doing more after that. I don't want to go pay $200 for powder coat every time I want to paint a frame and also I need to paint small stuff like skid plates ect ect

captain2207
07-31-2013, 10:17 PM
Maybe that lizard skin stuff.I belive it comes in a kit,of gallon,gun and I want to say hardener?I've heard its hard stuff they use for sound deadning in cars/trucks.just a thought...

GunsShooting
07-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Rust oleum makes very good paint... I have restored some tractors using their Farm Equipment line of paint. It takes longer to dry and cure, but afterward it's a tough, good-looking finish. Comes in rattle cans and quarts.

jb2wheels
08-01-2013, 12:10 PM
I've sprayed multiple frames with regular auto paint. If you have the gun and compressor already, it's not too bad.
- 200X frame with SPI white epoxy primer, TCP white base, SPI Universal clear.
- 350X frame with Summit epoxy primer and single stage red poly (ATC 70 tank and forks with same)
- Tecate and TRX 70 frames with SPI black epoxy primer only

But, paint and primer and clear costs $$ too. That's the reason I started using single stage paint instead of base/clear.

Also, my 2nd 350X frame had enough rust on it to warrant media blasting. Normally I can get away with a wire brush and Scotchbrite scuff. Since it's too big for my cabinet, I had to farm out the work. By the time I paid for blasting, I was 1/2 way to powder coating so it got coated. And I remembered to drop off the engine mounts, too.

I rattle can the swingarms and other silver stuff with Duplicolor Engine Paint cast coat iron or steel is the color. Nice, tough flat silver that seems to stand up to brake fluid enough to give me a chance to wipe it off. Most other rattle cans paints I've used bubble up almost instantly when they get brake fluid.

You'll spend some $$ either way to get a durable coating on the frames.

Vealmonkey
08-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Aftermarket sellers make home powdercoating outfits. If you have the use of a large enough baking oven, you can powdercoat whatever what you want, from small to large if you have a large enough baking over. You need a nice blasting outfit as well. Some people use small bead blasting cabinets and others use the baking soda blasting guns. Just depends on what you have or can afford.

STiForester
08-01-2013, 08:43 PM
I own a powder coating business and its not always expensive... all depends on color and who you go to but im my opinion thats by far the best way to go. I have restored over 10 trikes in the past few years. Powder coat is much more durable and also rated for over 1000 hrs of salt spray.

barnett468
08-02-2013, 06:49 PM
how did they paint these trikes in the Honda factory I mean what type of paint did they use and what was the process? frame swingarm skid plates pegs. was it baked on?Probably same as Kawi. Acrylic or urethane enamel, spray several tanks at once, put them in heated room. Frames and tanks were never painted together even if they were the same color.

averysdad
08-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the replying every one every place I called around here wants $200 for powder coat. I'm going to keep looking or just use car paint now I know what paint to use thanks guys. I know paints not cheep put I can do a lot of frames and parts with one pint I would think