PDA

View Full Version : Going into welding.

spentar
08-01-2013, 09:33 PM
I'm 15 year's old an probably part of the youngest generation of trike enthusiast:). I would like to get some opinions on a opportunity Ive been given within the walls of my high school. As much as I hate school Ive found that the school district is actually doing something right. My school along with many others offer trade school at a separate school facility. I heard of this a very long time ago and Ive been interested ever since. Well basically I'm enrolled in the Welding course there now! Starting my first day of school I will be attending the program everyday the second half of the school day. I now feel i will be actually doing something productive than rotting in study halls, bogus technology course's etc. If i complete the two years of the course I will be able to achieve a list of certifications, Job shadows, scholarships etc. As well as a good chance of getting a job in the trade out of high-school. I feel that welding will be a very nice lifelong skill, and career. My ultimate goal is to become a star TIG welder, TIG welding attracts me because of the beauty of it. I can just dream of making awsome looking things out of aluminum, stainless steel, titanium, etc. Give me your opinions on this opportunity!

Billy Golightly
08-01-2013, 09:44 PM
I've thought about trying to make a day job out of it before, but It'd probably lose its therapeutic appeal then.

That being said, if you have the opportunity to learn a vocational trade that you actually enjoy, I say the hell with what everyone else is doing and go for that. A 6G certified TIG welder will make 60K a year like nothing. Not very many college graduates earning that on their first years out, and having to pay a ton of debt on top of it...

spentar
08-01-2013, 10:06 PM
I can just dream of building a swing arm like that. My ultimate goal is to build parts like bumpers, racks, light bars, and trick parts for trucks, jeeps, crawlers and such. and sell them. On the side it would be cool to be able to design some grab bars, bumpers, and other things for trikes and Atv's. But i gotta become the Best welder i can be first. One step at a time.

spentar
08-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Mostly every kid that is going to trade school is taking Diesel or Auto mechanic's. Funny thing is most of them only do diesel because everyone else is. Only people from my school going are me and russ98atc (Fellow trike enthusiast) and also good friend.

3wheeled roofer
08-01-2013, 10:25 PM
learn as many trades as possible. trailprotrailpro young...find the one you really enjoy. good luck at stay focused.

spentar
08-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Off course i wanna be skilled in many things but I wanna take welding as a career hopefully. Though I am young and still have a lot of time I would like to look forward. Plan ahead and set goals. For now my main goal is to get established in the program and begin learning the skill a lot more. Not very many kids I know are planning ahead and have an idea of what they might want out of life. Hopefully I will take to this and become what i dream about!

just ben
08-02-2013, 09:26 AM
I took the same coarse when I was in high school and loved it. I worked in the field for a years after school and found that I really didn't like it after all. But that's just me, good luck with it. It is a great skill to have, its nice to be able to repair or build stuff without having to pay someone to do it. One thing to consider is the demand in your area and the average wage (unless you plan to move). Unfortunately in WNY any decent paying job in any field is scarce.

spentar
08-02-2013, 12:52 PM
As soon as Im 18 ill be going down south! I hate NY soo much. Weather sucks, politics sucks, everyone sucks haha!

jays375
08-02-2013, 05:00 PM
No matter where you work it will suck at times!Don't know what welding your are thinking of doing.Honestly wish the natural gas pipeline stuff was around 20 years ago.I work in a fab shop now.Mostly I tig weld stainless steel specialty items.Always iked my job.Not the people in charge.Trust me they are bad.Won't go into details on how bad they are.Learning to weld is one thing.Reading prints is another thing you should learn.Plus how to weld something so it doesn't twist up really bad out of shape.Another is how to straighten things out after you welded it.Seen a lot of guys come out of school and can't do much.Welding is only part of the job.Learn the other part also.

Dirtweed
08-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Oh we're not all that bad Spentar. :-)

If you start welding up swing arms like that put me on the list.

Dirtcrasher
08-02-2013, 08:21 PM
One thing that would scare me would be the fumes if in confined spaces, I do love welding though.

I do agree 100% with 3wheed roofer. Learn EVERY TRADE!! I paid for points to be installed and set on a XR75 back in 1982, and a front end alignment a few years back. I have NEVER EVER EVER hired anyone and thats no joke. (95% of this stuff is so damn easy it's a joke). Yes I did pay to have a house built but I had a crabby ex-wife and I was working, so I did pay for that........

The thing is, some of us have the DNA, and some are people are dumb as a stump, but they could tell you what angle it was cut at and how old the tree was :lol:
Some people have such limited mechanical skill it baffles me when they think I or someone else is a genius.

spentar
08-02-2013, 11:06 PM
A couple years ago I didn't know to much... Ive put myself around people that can actually rub off some mechanical skill. Definitely having the 3 wheelers, quads, snowmobiles, dirtbikes, etc have helped me learn how to work in a shop, and how things work. I'm definitely interested In TIG welding, possibly fabrication of something. I know a guy who works in the jail with my dad who makes wine racks on the side for some extra money. If the guy had the brains he would create a small business doing that. Granted the money you would make wouldn't nearly amount to like a pipe welder or something more dangerous. But i would find more fun creating things, like designing bumpers and racks for trucks, and atv related things.

MyMistress86R
08-03-2013, 07:41 AM
I say go for it! My step-son will be starting his 2nd (senior) year at our local trade school in the welding program and he loves it. He has got such a natural talent for it that its insane what he can do already. He earned his stick and MIG certs as a junior and will get his TIG before this year is over. The industry has amazing potential for income, travel and experience, so take the opportunity and get as much out of as you can. Good Luck to you!

spentar
08-03-2013, 11:38 AM
All I can say is only if more kids took trades. Everyone now a day's is flocking to 4 year schools for engineering and medicine! I mean there is a lot of money involved in that but there's so much competition. We are in need of skilled worker's and there's less and less everyday. Its funny also because some kids think idiots go to trade school, they think you need to go to a 4 year school to make it anywhere in life.

aldochina
08-03-2013, 02:55 PM
check out weldindtipsandtricks.com, great site with a ton of info to read, and tons of vids. Like stated, learn as much as you can about every trade!!