PDA

View Full Version : broke all 4 front axle holder bolts

averysdad
08-04-2013, 04:01 PM
broke all 4 front axle holder bolts off to day have lots of threads sticking out I don't want to heat the fork its aluminum right? every time I work on one of these 200x's a bolt brakes off first the exhaust stud broke off in the head didn't want to heat that one as well head being aluminum. the exhaust stud broke of with lots of thread sticking out as well I soaked it in bp blaster for 3 days filed to sides of the bolt flat put a wrench on it and It broke off flush with the head bought some ease outs going to try that for the exhaust stud. any one know how I can get the 4 front axle holder bolts out now without braking them off flush??

Vealmonkey
08-04-2013, 05:18 PM
I wish you all the luck in the world. I've never been real successful with busted studs. If it was me, I'd be shopping for a replacement lower leg, but trying a little heat. You may get lucky.

jimthetruckdriv
08-04-2013, 05:40 PM
U can heat it up, use a pair of vise grip lock them on good,, tap 5, 10, or 15 times lightly with a hammer, that's what I do

averysdad
08-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the luck veal and thinks for the tip Jim they came out easy with vice grips no heat or hamer. I don't know why they broke off in the first place then came out so easy with vice grips and b p blaster lol

Vealmonkey
08-04-2013, 10:12 PM
I hate you. LOL I never have that much luck. Buy a better grade of studs. It wouldn't have anything to do with being over 20 year old hardware, slightly rusty and maybe overtightened???? LOL There are torque specs for steel into aluminum and it's measured in inch-pounds. Be careful please. Get a shop manual.

briano
08-04-2013, 10:22 PM
I have had some luck with studs like that in the past, also been not so lucky on others. Sometimes you sit and think of ways to get a broken bolt or stud out, buy fancy extractors and drill bits, then the damn things come right out with simple tools.

MattDragontamer
08-05-2013, 01:15 AM
Have you used an impact wrench or just wrenching it off? I found that using an impact wrench makes the job sooo much easier and brakes the rusted bead off of the bolts.