PDA

View Full Version : honda atc 110 help needed please

Brankin
08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Hello I have at. Honda atc 110 1985. It's doesn't start very good with the pull start but bumps fine . The problem is when i put it in gear in high or low ratio .it seems to have no power but sorts it's self out when I pick up some speed. It seems to be worse when in high ratio. The trike idles fine and not that difficult to start . It's just the power problems really bugging me of any one can help it would be much appreciated thankyou

ericmreimer
08-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Sounds like a carb problem to me. Have you cleaned out the carburetor? I think a new ones are $20.00. Couldn't hurt.
What have you looked at so far?

Brankin
08-06-2013, 04:56 PM
I thought it could be timing ? But it runs pretty fine once I get going I think I'm gonna buy a carb . But if any has any things I can mark off while it comes it would be a great help

kb0nly
08-06-2013, 05:20 PM
Check the timing as well, but i would suspect compression. When you pull the recoil does it spin over pretty easy without feeling much resistance as it comes up on the compression stroke? Bump starting it allows it to get up to speed and build up some compression until it will actually fire and run. Thats always a good sign of weak compression.

Brankin
08-06-2013, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't say it's that easy to pull . It pulls straight away with a little spray of wd40 in the carb when first starting. but starts most times when its warmed up and idles fine . It's just when I set off its sluggish and no power then as the revs build it gets better .cheers

kb0nly
08-06-2013, 09:05 PM
That still sounds like low compression. Once it warms up the rings seal a little better, the sluggish take off and loss of power also points towards a problem. I would do a compression test, chances are its top end rebuild time.

GunsShooting
08-06-2013, 11:22 PM
I'm no expert but it almost sounds like a slipping clutch to me...

Brankin
08-07-2013, 07:14 PM
I adjusted the clutch today and took the spark plug out and it was really black and dusty and I only changed it a week ago so i think it might be carb . What would I need to adjust to make it not black and dusty is it too rich ?.I'm ordering a new carb .but its starting 1st/2nd pull now

Brankin
08-07-2013, 10:09 PM
I've read if I take up the needle up a notch on the carb this would make it run better .is this true ???

effort=results
08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
first turn your air fuel mix screw all the way in . dont not overtightn. just seat the screw. back the screw out 1 and a half turns. also remove the lid to the air filter and see how it reacts. i wonder if your air tube is clogged with mud or a dead mouse. u shouldnt have to adjust needle . if none of this works from this point u have a compression issue. maybe not rings . when i rebuilt mine i had a bad exhaust valve. keep us informed!

Brankin
08-07-2013, 11:03 PM
I'll check everything that's been mentioned . Thankyou to everyone for the advice it's much appreciated