PDA

View Full Version : Hey dougspecs

Pitbilly
08-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi Doug I have an 86 big red. A while back you had posted some larger rim and tires for your big red that I liked. I'm interested in doing the same with mine. I believe you were using a 12 inch rim. Can you please post up the exact wheel size as you would order? Also I know these bikes don't have much power but was there a big difference in performance? Would you recommend wheel spacers? I pretty much just put threw the woods. Im sick of fixing flats with my stock tires. There so thin.

Thanks max

kebby28
08-07-2013, 10:36 PM
12x7 2+5 4/110

25x12-12 Kenda Executioner

dougspcs
08-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Kebby said it..this rim is a direct fit with proper offset for the front forks.

I got mine from Rocky Mountain in ITP steel and paid $40/ea rim. Spacers are not required..

Load tires on, bolt and go..mount the front as a right side tire if your tread is directional..

Have fun with tire choices, lots of 12" tires to select from.

Damn price has even gone down $5 since I bought them!!

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/257/991/-/-/3075/

Pitbilly
08-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Ok thanks...a question though on rim width...you mention 12x7....I assume the 7 is the width? why 7? do they come in different widths?..I realize the 2+5 offset is important with the brakes but was questioning the "7". the tires I'm looking at are 25X10X12........that I like so far....you mention the executioners 25X12X12....I think there too aggressive at least for what I'm gonna do...

I can't seem to select the rim size I want on rockymountain....they keep don't allow you to view different rim sizes...you have to plug in your bike model which is annoying. I kind of like the carlisle badlands xtr. what do you think?

dougspcs
08-09-2013, 04:56 PM
The OEM rim is 9" with a 3+6 offset..I wanted a thinner rim so that I could play with thinner tire sizes. The slimmer steering tire profile improves the handling greatly..

Anyway I chose 7" with 2+5 because it kept the offset profile the same and meant I didn't need to spacer to centre the rim..essentially it took an inch off each side of the rim but left the hub in the correct offset ratio and centred between the forks.

As far as the Executioners, I wouldn't do them again..my brother loves them. But for me too heavy, too rough, and too agressive..but that is why they call it experimenting. You try, you ride, you learn!

Your choice is pretty open in the 12" tires..Carlisle Badlands xtr wouldn't be a bad choice. Pick what you like the looks of..25", 26", 27" diameter, 8"-10" width is pretty safe math..have a party with it!!

For the Rocky Mountain link choose this vehicle..1986 HONDA ATC 350X and it will give you the 12x7, 2+5, 4/110 choice. Why that vehicle when that sure wasn't a stock size for it?? Who knows..site reference glitch I guess.

kebby28
08-09-2013, 07:04 PM
I agree with doug on the executioners. To much tire!!! But now I know... Except I'm stuck with $200+ tires that will take an eternity to wear out. They do go anywhere though. I got the 26x10-12's because I wanted a little taller and skinnyer of a tire...

Pitbilly
08-09-2013, 09:55 PM
I think I'm ready to buy....I selected the STI alloy 12 inch wheels with the 25x8x12 duro frontier tires. I think they would be good for the rocky trails around me. Anyway do I need to order lug nuts with these? Also should I call them and request 2 tires be mounted right side?
Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I can order tomorrow

dougspcs
08-09-2013, 10:59 PM
I think I'm ready to buy....I selected the STI alloy 12 inch wheels with the 25x8x12 duro frontier tires. I think they would be good for the rocky trails around me. Anyway do I need to order lug nuts with these? Also should I call them and request 2 tires be mounted right side?
Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I can order tomorrow

Your 86 will have the tapered nuts and they'll work with the replacement rims, but the 4 pack of chromed nuts is cheap and look nicer..

You can request them to install, but you'll need to call them for that..last time I ordered they couldn't install them because the tires I chose weren't being shipped from the same warehouse location as the rims.

I had to mount them myself..

Pitbilly
08-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Ok I'm looking at lug nuts...do I want the 10mm x 1.25 pitch with 14mm head? The itp chrome come in a bunch of sizes.

I think I'm gonna go with a 10 inch width tire. Doug what size tire did you go with on your bike with black wheels?
Thanks

dougspcs
08-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Ok I'm looking at lug nuts...do I want the 10mm x 1.25 pitch with 14mm head? The itp chrome come in a bunch of sizes.

I think I'm gonna go with a 10 inch width tire. Doug what size tire did you go with on your bike with black wheels?
Thanks

My Back in Black trike has 26x12x12 Mud Sharks on the rear..great for the back but never fit between the from forks so I went with 26x8x12 Bear Claw on front..no law says you need to go the same front and back. A really nice balance on this trike..

Here's your wheel nuts..

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/171/726/-/-/221307/

Pitbilly
08-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks again I will post a pic when there on

Pitbilly
08-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Here it is....I'm happy with it. Thanks for all the help guys!

ericmreimer
08-16-2013, 12:47 PM
WOW, THAT LOOKS SHARP! May go this route in the future on my '84. Nice Trike BTW!

bigman00
09-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Hey guys I just picked up a nice 85 250. still has original tires on it. for the rims you guys are getting ar all 3 the same spacing or are you running the stock ones on the back. Royal distributing has a no tax sale and the have steel and aluminum rims 12" for $48 want to go get some and maybe tires

Thanks
Zech

jeswinehart
09-18-2013, 10:44 PM
My goodness Max ! Your questions and research paid off handsomely. Looking forward to a ride report with your tire choice.

john

ps2fixer
09-21-2013, 01:06 AM
I agree with doug on the executioners. To much tire!!! But now I know... Except I'm stuck with $200+ tires that will take an eternity to wear out. They do go anywhere though. I got the 26x10-12's because I wanted a little taller and skinnyer of a tire...

If you want super agressive, yet very light, check out highlifter outlaws. They are an amazing tire, the only small down side is that they slide side to side rather easy, but for forward grip, you just about can't get any better. The only weakness my dad and I could find in them is in very dry loose sand they didn't perform as well, but that is where paddles tires should come in to play :). BEWARE of the radials, they are HEAVY! 40+ pounds each.

Good:
http://www.hondaforeman.com/members/38819-badlandboy-albums1512-2011-foreman-picture6932-my-new-foreman-two-inch-lift-hmf-26-inch-highlifter-outlaws.jpg

Bad:
http://image.atvrideronline.com/f/newsfront/1103_atvp_high_lifter_anounces_30_inch_radial_outl aw/32262079+pheader_460x1000/1103_atvp_ih+high_lifter_anounces_30_inch_radial_o utlaw+radials_on_rzr4.jpg

Attached is where mine are sitting atm, these are the original outlaws (and 28 inch), they now sell outlaw2, not sure how much different they are.

Pitbilly
10-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Hey john sorry for the delay but overall I'm happy with the new wheel package. I've put 80 miles on the bike since the conversion and my only gripe is the front end is a bit heavier.....I knew this would be the case buying the new wheels but given the terrain I ride I really needed the 6 ply tires. Overall I'm very happy with the purchase and have adjusted to the new feel of the trike
Cheers max

jeswinehart
10-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Max did you happen to get a feel for a higher top end and if yes, was it ,, well like too much for the gearing or did Bigred seem to handle/adjust to the slightly higher speed/gearing due to the larger rim + tire sizing ?

With me and my riding it is either one of two ways. 1- just slow poking first and second (not the creeper first) or #2- fifth gear cruising long flat straight trails where a higher speed would be a blessing.
Been running the SX differential for years and that was a mildly pleasant increase w/o a noticeable power loss.
Thanks for the input ! john

Pitbilly
10-09-2013, 10:37 PM
John I didnt notice a higher top end. I get 47 mph on my speedo....I wouldn't recommend taller gears for the bike with mynwheel combo.....for putting around in 2nd or 3rd its fine and that's a majority of my riding .... I will say I rode with a buddy on a 200x and he couldn't stay with me on top end. He may not have had stock gearing though......overall I've gotten used to the new feel of the bike and am happy with it

jeswinehart
10-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Very good information. I need new tires on my Bigred before next years riding season begins and with the information I have gotten I am very comfortable going with ITP rim + tire combination.

Thanks ! john