PDA

View Full Version : Honda 200

emmie357
08-09-2013, 03:45 PM
A guy down the street from me is selling a Honda 200, I can pick it up cheap but... it dosen't seem to want to shift easliy. Pushing the sifter down to up shift took some leg strength, but I couldn't get it to shift back up without reaching down and yanking the shifter up with my hand.

Now I don't need this trike, I recently picked up 3 YTM 200's and have made 2 solid running bikes from them, but I'm also a sucker for a deal (and three wheelers). The guy selling it said "they're all like that, it's a honda, you can't kill it".

I'm assuming there is an issue with the shift forks inside and that they are not all like this. Anyone have an idea of how much trouble I would be getting myself into if I decide to jump on this.

It otherwise starts right up, no rust in the tank, bearings are solid, plastics have no cracks, idles fine... was a little hesitant to start moving, but the tires were low and I think it's been sitting. I'm confident in my ablities to fix any clutch issues, but never really messed with tranny issues.

GunsShooting
08-09-2013, 03:50 PM
If it's that hard to shift then there's a problem of some sort, unless maybe for some reason it's got a manual clutch and you weren't mashing the clutch? Seems unlikely. But I had a Honda ATC and rode 3 others fairly extensively (2 auto clutch, 2 manual clutch), none of them were hard to shift.

What's he asking? Give him $100 and haul it off. :-)

Russ

emmie357
08-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Was not a manual, both hand levers were brakes, it was a 200e I think. He's asking $200. He said he's not asking for top dollar and he won't take less.
I told myself I wasn't going to buy another trike unless it was a 200x, 350x, or a 250 2 stroke, but I thought I can make my friend ride this so he stops breaking mine lol.

GunsShooting
08-09-2013, 08:07 PM
It's probably worth $200. Heck, you could probably part it out for a good bit more than that. And save your other machines! :-)

kb0nly
08-10-2013, 01:15 AM
I would grab it for $200. The hard shifting can be some simple issues, someone screwed up the clutch adjustment, the shift drum stopper and shift linkage are binding, somethings bent from someone shifting it down to hard and going to hard to the bottom of the shifters travel, that usually bends the shift linkage a bit. Its all fixable by pulling the right cover off the motor. One gasket and you can go through it and see whats going on. Sounds like it does it regardless of what gear, for example its just as hard going from 1-2 as it is from Neutral-1st? And its just as hard downshifting from 1st to neutral, etc... When its like that i find its not in the trans, but the shift linkage or the clutch. Usually if you have a bent shift fork inside the bottom end its just one, like the 1-2, or 2-3 shift is hard, etc.

I think it will be something relatively easy to fix. For $200 you cant go wrong, you could part it out for more than that if you had to, and 200 motors and parts are pretty plentiful.