PDA

View Full Version : 86 TRI-Z Carb

Z- rider
08-10-2013, 05:08 AM
Hi all..My Z has the wrench report 1 porting, dg pipe, boyessen reeds. I originaly put a pwk 38 with a pod kn-style filter. The power was great, jetting almost there. Later i realized i wanted my stock airbox set-up back. I Just got tired of the trade offs of running a pod filter (cleaning it often, not riding in mud, washing the trike etc.) I went back to stock with the lid & snorkel removed. I lost power, but the most annoying thing is a mid range bog. I am considering going back to the stock 32 carb. I don't mind to loose top-end power i'd just love a stockish set-up. (i guess i'm getting old, lol) So, my question is...Anyone having a similar ported, piped set-up, what's your jetting on your stock 1986 tri-z carb?

Z- rider
08-20-2013, 02:02 AM
Ok, so i put the stock carb back, stock settings, 320 mj, needle 4th groove from top, 35 pilot. Still runs like crap...feels extremely rich. I tried the needle settings, no significant improvements. Hard to start when cold only. Power appears in the last 1\4 and the first 1\8 of throttle. I' m 99% convinced right now it has to be bad reeds. All the symptoms are there. Anyone with experience on this?

barnett468
08-20-2013, 03:53 AM
hello

are you saying kit fruns good up 18 throttle and afetr 3.4 throttle but inbetween?

this is not a common sign of bad reeds but they are easy to check if you simply pull it out and lok at them

what color is your plug

near white?

lite tan?
dark tan?
dry black?

how did it run before porting?

does it start better with or without choke when eng is cold?

what is outdoor temp when starting eng cold?

check plug when starting to see if it's wet.

if it ran fine it's unlikely your reeds went bad sitting on your bench.

definitely weird if that's how it runs.

Z- rider
08-21-2013, 02:42 AM
Yup, plug is wet...It starts (real hard for summer) with choke on when cold. I have run this ported cylinder for years with no problems..only with a 38 carb + pod filter. But i got sick of frequent maintenence + some flooding issues. Then i went back to stock airbox (a little worse) and then stock carb (i lost all my midrange power- not expected with stock 32 carb!). It' s definetely rich right now, i can smell unignited gas coming out of airbox tube! I' ll check the reeds one of these days.

barnett468
08-21-2013, 03:53 AM
might be overported then