PDA

View Full Version : 84 250r frame off resto any other 2nd gen owners with suggestions?

xr650r
08-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Hi I have started a frame off resto on my R I've owned for 11 years..Seized the top end after my friend died,wasnt thinking strait that day.Also the frame rusted in my damp garage.Now the motor is at the shop getting bored and painted.My responsibilities are to sandblast and get all the other pieces ready.Also just picked up a 34mm pj carb.The bike will be .60 over,how should the carb be jetted? Fuel mixture?Dg pipe and silencer with new packing.Also chrome has rust on the fork tube can this be buffed out?Frame and swing arm paint suggestions? Thanks,Patrick.

ericmreimer
08-10-2013, 01:41 PM
I want to make a suggestion on the content of the post....you're all over the place lol. Your topic title is frame off rest and you end up asking a bunch of tuning questions. Why not split your questions up some. Maybe give us a post with some pictures and questions pertaining to the progress of the sandblasting and restoration and make another topic concerning your tuning and carb question. I think you'd get much better answers.

Just a suggestion, not trying to be nit-picky, just helpful.

On the chrome get some steel wool pads and lightly remove the rust, and follow it with a good metal polish like mothers. wax it occasionally because the rest once started will come back sooner or later.

I'd go powder coat if you can on the frame and swing arm but if you do ask them if it is ok for you to sandblast it. I know Atlas Plating here in Houston told me that if i was going to have them coat the frame on my '84 big red that to be careful and they'd end up blasting anyway. They quoted 300 to coat my frame. 100.00 for a mix of smaller parts.