PDA

View Full Version : 1986 350x project

bliver18
08-11-2013, 02:30 PM
hey guys new to the site, I picked up this X 2 weeks ago and im getting ready to tear it down at some point this week. i bought it knowing that the bike needed some work but i wasnt worried about it cause im fairly mechanically inclined. i knew it needed a top end (no big deal) but i must say that for the 5 minutes i did ride it around the yard i was fairly impressed with the fact that it was so far gone it would put a mosquito truck to shame lol!! And then i took the carb off to get the numbers off of it and relized that the kid that had it before me had put a 1991 200ex carb on it :crazy:. But its all good I found a guy on the facebook page 350x owners and he is going to send me a fresh rebuilt oem carb powder coated and everything as soon as i call him. but i will keep yall updated with the progress. here are some pictures as she sits now. Dont mind the messy garage i cleaned it yesterday lol!

Buck Snort
08-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Welcome to the site. Looks like a good machine to start with. I am not the expert some of these guys are on this site, but I think that trike is a 1985. Also maybe it is just the way the picture made it look, but the front end looks like it is raked out a bit. Some one with more knowledge will speak up, I am sure.

Larry T Moore
08-11-2013, 05:37 PM
are the forks off something else?..the brake is on the wrong side

tbus93
08-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Looks great to start off with that thing does have a lot of rake for a 350x though

bliver18
08-12-2013, 04:24 AM
larry it is a 86 for sure, but yea i was woundering about the rake and the brake being on the wrong side as well. I had looked it up somewhat and i have seen where people have frankenstiened the front ends of these things with cr forks. i hope that isnt the case. any input would be great! thanks guys

devilman
08-12-2013, 01:01 PM
welcome to the site. can you post some pics of the brake side as well as the tree and the frame neck w/out the tank on?

Larry T Moore
08-13-2013, 07:26 AM
id almost say find someone who has the same bike and put them side by side and look them over

oconnor65x
08-13-2013, 05:11 PM
the front forks look like they are turned around. on my 200x when i took the front tire off the shock tubes actually spin around and im thinking when someone put the tire on they spun the tubes and put the tire on the wrong way... just undo the 4 bolts clamping it on and un screw the shaft and spin them back around and that would solve your brake being on the wrong side..... and the rake in the front end..... just my inquires correct me if im wrong :D

oconnor65x
08-13-2013, 05:21 PM
175406175407 sorry for being sideways

bliver18
08-14-2013, 06:50 AM
the front forks look like they are turned around. on my 200x when i took the front tire off the shock tubes actually spin around and im thinking when someone put the tire on they spun the tubes and put the tire on the wrong way... just undo the 4 bolts clamping it on and un screw the shaft and spin them back around and that would solve your brake being on the wrong side..... and the rake in the front end..... just my inquires correct me if im wrong :D

Yeah that would make sense! ill be off for 7 days after today so i will be able to post pictures of it and the tear down. thanks guys for the responses!

bliver18
08-14-2013, 06:52 AM
thanks again guys

devilman
08-14-2013, 08:47 AM

i am guessing your pics is of an 84 200X? your front set up is correct. the 350x is different. His forks are facing the correct way they just need to need to be swapped from one side to the other.

After looking at it again. Even after swapping from one side to the other, the caliper would still be on the front side of the fork. And the drain bolts on the bottom would be to the rear. These are not 350x forks.

Larry T Moore
08-14-2013, 08:50 AM
the 86 350x has a leading axle with the brake on the left side...his has a leading axle with the brake on the right side...so if he turned it around it would make it a trailing axle and be wrong? ...:wondering

bliver18
08-14-2013, 10:15 AM
After looking at it again. Even after swapping from one side to the other, the caliper would still be on the front side of the fork. And the drain bolts on the bottom would be to the rear. These are not 350x forks.[/QUOTE]

yeah this is really aggraviting me that im not at home right now to look at it a little better. has anyone heard of the cr fork swap that i was talking about.... andd the even better question anyone have any 86 forks laying around?

bliver18
08-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Well heres some better pictures of the front end

Buck Snort
08-15-2013, 10:31 PM
I went out to the shop and stared at my 350X. I agree. Those forks must be off something else.

Cornholio
08-15-2013, 10:37 PM
the 86 350x has a leading axle with the brake on the left side...his has a leading axle with the brake on the right side...so if he turned it around it would make it a trailing axle and be wrong? ...:wonderingThen spin the forks again. Then itd be right.

Jason125m
08-15-2013, 10:59 PM
the sliders can be slid completely around while installed on the fork tubes... Easy fix... Can't believe this confused so many people...

the forks need removed from triples, your right one with the brake needs to be on the left hand side, and spin the slider 180...

Charlee78
08-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Nice build!

wonderboy
08-20-2013, 09:20 AM
I've been looking at the pictures and the service manuals for the various machines. I'm pretty sure what you have is a 3rd gen 250R front end. The triples have the steering stop at the back edge of the lower triple (3rd gen 250R) as opposed to the blocks on top of the lower triple and stop on the front of the steering neck (350x). Also, the caps on the top of the fork tubes are unique to the 3rd gen 250R.

So, like Jason said above, move the tubes around and you can put this into the stock 3rd gen 250R configuration: Brake on the left side of the machine behind the fork tube, and a trailing axle (axle behind the fork tubes).

tvpierce
08-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Slight highjack bliver18.

What's the story with the front end on the Big Red in the background. Looks like the forks were welded up to be rigid. I have two sets that are hosed. I may be interested in doing the same thing.

bliver18
08-22-2013, 09:59 PM
wow been a little bit since ive been on thanks for all the great responses, im going to go back with these forks i wish it was original but it is nearly impossiable to find forks so im not worried about it. An update on the build: frame is off to powder coating, i have the motor torn down and rebuilt, just picked the head up from the milling shop today, polished the triple trees, forks, and brake levers, waiting on the all balls bearing kit for the swing arm, and still awaiting some other goods in the mail. thanks again for all the responses. And typierce i just responded to your pm about the 200 forks hope it helps!