PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda atc smoking!!

dmob47
08-11-2013, 09:13 PM
lots of smoke coming out white starts first kick runs rev kinda high help!! What do I need an what do I need to do?

dmob47
08-11-2013, 09:19 PM
It's a 200x

3wheelers
08-12-2013, 05:12 PM
If it's revving high, you need to adjust the idol. There's a little screw on the side of the carb. It's a little flat head screw, with a spring behind it. Turn it in till its tight, then turn it counter clockwise 2 full turns. That's about where the idol should be at. If its still revving high, turn the idol screw out some more. The more you screw it out, the lower it will idol. But 2 turns out is about where it should idol.

If this doesn't work, you should check out your throttle. Take your intake off, and look in your carb. Your throttle should be down all the way, if its lifted up a little, that's why it's revving high. Unscrew the throttle from the top of the carb. Turn the throttle until it drops all the way down. If It doesn't drop all the way down, lift it up and turn it until it drops in. Then screw the throttle back on the top of the carb.

If that doesn't work, your gonna want to check for air leaks on your carb boot and beyond.

CodyRosa
08-12-2013, 07:13 PM
Well 3wheelers answered your high idle question.. now for the smoke.. does the smoke go away or does it stay? If it goes away its just the valve stem seals leaking a bit.. if it stays, well its your rings.

Wolfgang1952
08-13-2013, 05:35 AM
Like CodyRosa said. If the smoke stops in a few seconds are a minute it is your valve stem seals. But if it keeps on smoking it is your piston rings.

yammerhammer88
08-14-2013, 10:41 PM
I would do what 3wheelers said, and also another possibility would be the throttle slide hanging in the slide bore of the carb, check for debris, gunk or varnish if it is dirty use carb cleaner to flush it out along with wiping it clean with a shop towel

barnett468
08-15-2013, 04:53 AM
do a compression test with a good gauge and the throttle wide open and post results.

dmob47
08-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Just steady white smoke... Can some one hook me up on a free manual? Or sell my one for cheap 175613so I can do new rings an piston.. Also have two sets of front forks an one steering colem axle rim and tire, and head light Assm. Ill sell for low price or a deal can be made.. The extra head light is not like the Crome in the pic it's the one with black cage over glass

dmob47
08-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Also it has vary low comp. I can push down with hand but starts first or sec kick..help!!!

CodyRosa
08-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Hi Dmob, I'm assuming you've never changed the rings since you've had the machine? Your more than likely going to have to bore it instead of hone it. I just took mine apart, bought rings and a gasket kit only to find out my cylinder was egg shape. Have your cylinder checked, see if its still within the circular shape haha. Good luck

barnett468
08-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Also it has vary low comp. I can push down with hand but starts first or sec kick..help!!!well if you want to base the need of a rebuild based upon that and thre smoke i guess you can.

you can not put rings in your cyl. it must be measured by an expert first and likely needs to be bored.

honda atc guy
08-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Hi Dmob, I'm assuming you've never changed the rings since you've had the machine? Your more than likely going to have to bore it instead of hone it. I just took mine apart, bought rings and a gasket kit only to find out my cylinder was egg shape. Have your cylinder checked, see if its still within the circular shape haha. Good luck
Yup. When doing any kind of rebuild, always take it to the shop to have it checked and they can do the bore. Much cheaper if you take it apart, let them do the machine work and check everything out and you put it back together and you're good to go.