PDA

View Full Version : Restoring an old fuel tank

R.J.M.
08-11-2013, 09:44 PM
I've currently got a clark plastic tank on my 350x but wanting to put the stock tank back on. I've herd of creaming the tank but never done it or seen it done. This might be a dumb question but where do you buy the stuff and how hard is it to do? Advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GunsShooting
08-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Do a search for POR-15 and check out their products. I have never used them myself but I know plenty who have, and they all recommend it. MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE PREPARATION DIRECTIONS.

Ghostv2
08-12-2013, 02:56 AM
I have seen most guys say you can get it at just about any atv shop, so it must be a pretty common product.

R.J.M.
08-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll give it a shot. What's the worst that can right lol

kb0nly
08-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Ughh... Don't put that crap in the tank!!

Whats wrong with the tank? Rusty? Any holes??

If its solid, no holes, and just rusty, then clean the rust out. I hate coated tanks, nothing but trouble.

GunsShooting
08-12-2013, 03:59 PM
Coating can be trouble IF the preparation isn't done right. Like painting, preparation is the most important part of the process.

Russ

Cave Rider
08-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Kream bad !!!! Por-15 good !!! Prep is everything !!!! It stands for "paint over rust". Get ALL petroleums out,rust if small amount is ok,no need to acid wash,but it helps for sure...Remember....Kream bad !!!

NO-SCALES
08-12-2013, 05:50 PM
I have a tank that wasn't creamed right... pain in the butt. most of it came off in 2 or 3 big chunks but still a lot than I cant get to... I personally wouldn't do it after seeing mine. I didn't do it , it was that way when I got my 185.

called a couple radiator shops, said around $100. they might do it right. kinda pricy but maybe worth it.

I think I read on here , an old post, to put a bunch of nut in it with some toilet bowl cleaner and shake it around real good. sould like that might be a cheap alternative.

R.J.M.
08-12-2013, 06:17 PM
thanks for all the advise from everyone ill do some research and really think it thru. the tank doesn't leak just some small surface rust on the inside. just trying to keep it from getting worse. I've always wanted a 350x and now that I finally got one I want to take care of it and do things right on it.

kb0nly
08-13-2013, 12:16 AM
If you got some light surface rust go the non toxic route... Fill it with Apple Cider Vinegar, let it sit a couple days, pour it out into a bucket and look at it, it will need washing to remove the loosened rust, i use a power washer, but you can fill about half full of water and shake and repeat to. If its not clean enough yet pour the Apple Cider Vinegar back in, recycle it from the bucket.. Then repeat the soak and wash till happy with it. Then get it back on the trike and fill it up with fresh fuel, it won't flash rust if you do a good job of rinsing and refilling it with fuel. You can also shake some fuel around in it and pour out again after the last water rinse to get any water out, you don't want to let it sit and dry otherwise rust will set in. Once the tank is full of fuel it won't rust and it will be fine again even once the fuel is used. Key to keeping these tanks in good shape is keeping them fueled up though! A half empty tank will collect condensation on the empty portion and rust.

R.J.M.
08-13-2013, 12:51 PM
That sounds easy enough thanks kb I'll give that a try.