PDA

View Full Version : My 250SX Project

neverdone
08-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Back about a year and a half ago I stumbled on this 250 SX sitting in the back of the barn at my buddies place. After some prodding I got him to come off it (didn't hurt that he was out of a job and needed some money), he let me have it for $150 (he named the price)!! This is how it sat in the barn when I found it..................

Yes that is black pipe (plumbing pipe) welded to the grab bar to make a utility rack.
After some digging around the barn I managed to find all of it, rear plastics, carb, everything missing but the petcock off the gas tank. Through it up in the back of the truck and took off before he could change his mind. After a little sawzall massage on the grab bar, a fresh spark plug, soaked the carb for about a week and clean it all out and scrubbed, threw on a plastic tank and she fired up with little effort on the kick start. Then I through in a battery did a little wire work and had it starting from the button! So within a couple weeks of me having it I went for a little ride and got her a little dirty and was having a blast!

Now that it has been running for a bit and we have been having a good time I decided to sink a little money in her. Per recomendation of dougspcs I picked up a bear claw tire for the front and a new rim to change up the front a bit and maybe get a little better handling.

I also ordered up a set of back tires, but they are not on yet. I am going to sand blast the rear rims tonight and repaint them then will be mounting the new back tires. I also pulled the exhaust and blasted it and repainted with a nice 1600* rustoleum, have done a little welding on one foot peg, and made my own new grab bar for the back since the old one was pretty much destroyed.

Aside from that stuff (please don't kill me) but I ordered in a decal set for it....... for a 1986 cause I like those better....... and a set of blue shock boots for the front (wifes favorite color) and a blue seat cover. Haven't put on the boots or cover yet, but started to put on the tank decals. Apparently the decal set I got has issues with being on a plastic tank, they were on for a week and look like lizzard skin now. :( dealer said that is an issue they have known about but failed to mention on the sale listing.

Anyway once I get some more pics of it when I get the tires and such back on the back I will set it up for some more pics...

michaelc
08-12-2013, 07:04 AM
Very nice!!!!

dougspcs
08-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Looks good ND. But before you get too crazy about the decals on the plastic tank you should know that the 'lizardskin' thing is common..

Since the plastic off-gases fumes from inside the tank..there are a couple threads in the member area on this but I'll give you the short version.

You can't stop it..some have used a small punch to put little holes in their decal to let it breathe, but that obviously has a cosmetic down side.

You may just have to leave it naked!! It's ok though, because if you are like me you'll just rub the tank/decals with the inside of your leg using the mud as an abrasive.

Not pretty!!

But you picked a nice machine to cut your teeth on..often though the SX wasn't given full credit for the amazing trike that it is! Find a pair of Bear Claws for the rear when you have the funds..then you'll see what this thing can do.

This is what my 85 looked like a few years ago, before all the mud trashed the tank.

neverdone
08-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Actually I have a set of new ITP Mud Lites that I bought the same time as the front tire!!!! Hopefully mounting them up tomorrow night!

JasonB
08-12-2013, 09:23 AM
looks good man, 150$ is a great price for something like that. throw some full pics up of the entire bike when you get the new rears on

UPNATM
08-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Wow, lookes like a great SX for the price, congrats. I paid $180 for my newest SX, and it was in much worse shape than yours. For sure post up some more pics once the rear tires are mounted up.

neverdone
08-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys! Once I get the rims blasted and painted I will get the tires thrown on and it will be time for more pics! I do need to find a new muffler for it too, the old one is pretty rotted out. Then it will be mostly done. Going to get something to put on as a brake light too. The stock ones are just too expensive for me to want to pay to put one of those back on.

I like to work on all kinds of things, usually all at once.... work on one project for a bit then switch and work on another for a bit.

Other projects consist of a 47 dodge rat rod, 65 Lambretta Scooter, yz125 barstool racer, 2000 400ex, 79 cherokee mudder, 78 Goldwing Bobber...... and anything RC........

dman10
08-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Hey, your into RC? Cool, me too. Nice SX, next trike I want to add to the collection.

NO-SCALES
08-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Man i got to do that front tire swap

neverdone
08-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Hey, your into RC? Cool, me too.

Yeah buddy!!! I used to run a hobby shop a few years back now I work there again part time. I have probably 10 cars, 12 planes, 4 helis, and 4 boats. Anywhere from 1/18th scale to 1/5th

neverdone
08-13-2013, 06:33 AM
Got the rear rims blasted, primered, and put on two coats of VHT titanium wheel paint. Hopefully will pop the tires on the rims tonight and get them put back on.

neverdone
08-16-2013, 06:34 AM
Took a little longer than expected to get some things done, always does, but anyhow finished tapping out the holes for the exhaust studs, popped the new rear tires on the rims and threw em on yesterday morning!!!

After I got everything snugged up I took it for a cruise down the street and no more wobble!!!!

Still need to put the new shock boots on, but with that stuff done, this wraps up my efforts for now. Kind of out of time at the current time. But at least it is back up and running and is better than before. Still probably going to adjust the valves a touch, she is a bit ticky and I doubt that that has ever been done in it's life.

UPNATM
08-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Looking good! I like they way the 86 sickers look on the red 85 tank.
Nice work.

neverdone
08-17-2013, 06:35 AM
Thanks bud!! I don't like the 85 stickers so I decided to do the 86 instead. Since the wife rides this a lot and her favorite color is blue I decided to go with some of the 86 stuff. I have blue shock boots and it will probably get to have a blue seat cover whenever the one on it gets worse. Only thing I am not really happy with on it that I have done is my cheapy mud flap on the back of the front fender. Just couldn't see myself paying $30 for a used melted piece-o-crap from daBay..... Grabbed a hunk of rubber and cut one out with shears. Since I never had one to begin with I figures anything is better than nothing. Need new handle bars too.....

neverdone
08-18-2013, 05:54 AM
Farted around last night a little bit with it. Put on the new shock boots. That was about it. Did take it out for a ride last night which made me feel a little better. Next up I need to pull the head light guard off so I can weld it up a bit. Apparently at some point some one had welded something to it and when they cut it off they cut a little to deep in a few spots.....

neverdone
08-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Little paint and grinding on the front rack and I guess she is done for now. Would really like to find a rear rack but all my toys are on hold right now. But here is a pic so you can see how the exhaust turned out as well. Been out riding it almost every night lately. The old girl is so much fun!!!!

R.J.M.
08-24-2013, 05:01 PM
looks awesome keep up the good work

neverdone
08-26-2013, 05:46 AM
Thanks man! I keep plugging away with it. Here lately though I have just been riding it around!!! Probably wont do anything else with it till the winter though!

neverdone
11-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Still loving this machine!!! Been putting her to work lately though. Wife and I bought a house so I been using the old girl to pull my little trailer around for yard clean up and such. Hopefully soon going to start tearing her down some and I want to clean up the frame a bit and see about having it powder coated. We will see. I am going to have to locate a new pipe for it soon. Header is OK but the muffler is in bad shape. When I blasted it it popped a few pin holes, they are starting to make more noise than I like.

ave22
11-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Very Nice!

UPNATM
11-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Trike looks good! How are those tank decals holding up? Mine have already started to bubble due to the tank breathing out the gas fumes.:(

neverdone
11-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Started bubbling 2 days after I put them on. So disappointed. Complained about it, they sent me two more but I have never tried to put them on. Figured I would put a bunch of pin holes in them before I put them on if I do.

ATC819
12-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Nice looking trike, I have had a few sx projects and currently have one underway.

Big Mike
12-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Back about a year and a half ago I stumbled on this 250 SX sitting in the back of the barn at my buddies place. After some prodding I got him to come off it (didn't hurt that he was out of a job and needed some money), he let me have it for $150 (he named the price)!! This is how it sat in the barn when I found it..................

Yes that is black pipe (plumbing pipe) welded to the grab bar to make a utility rack.
After some digging around the barn I managed to find all of it, rear plastics, carb, everything missing but the petcock off the gas tank. Through it up in the back of the truck and took off before he could change his mind. After a little sawzall massage on the grab bar, a fresh spark plug, soaked the carb for about a week and clean it all out and scrubbed, threw on a plastic tank and she fired up with little effort on the kick start. Then I through in a battery did a little wire work and had it starting from the button! So within a couple weeks of me having it I went for a little ride and got her a little dirty and was having a blast!

Now that it has been running for a bit and we have been having a good time I decided to sink a little money in her. Per recomendation of dougspcs I picked up a bear claw tire for the front and a new rim to change up the front a bit and maybe get a little better handling.

I also ordered up a set of back tires, but they are not on yet. I am going to sand blast the rear rims tonight and repaint them then will be mounting the new back tires. I also pulled the exhaust and blasted it and repainted with a nice 1600* rustoleum, have done a little welding on one foot peg, and made my own new grab bar for the back since the old one was pretty much destroyed.

Aside from that stuff (please don't kill me) but I ordered in a decal set for it....... for a 1986 cause I like those better....... and a set of blue shock boots for the front (wifes favorite color) and a blue seat cover. Haven't put on the boots or cover yet, but started to put on the tank decals. Apparently the decal set I got has issues with being on a plastic tank, they were on for a week and look like lizzard skin now. :( dealer said that is an issue they have known about but failed to mention on the sale listing.

Anyway once I get some more pics of it when I get the tires and such back on the back I will set it up for some more pics...

when you get the new decals for the tank, punch a fair amount of holes in them so the gas fumes can escape.

neverdone
12-12-2013, 07:30 AM
when you get the new decals for the tank, punch a fair amount of holes in them so the gas fumes can escape.

That was my plan. I have decals sitting on the shelf. Now just waiting for warmer weather to put them on so they will stick a little better.

neverdone
12-12-2013, 07:33 AM
New brake cables showed up yesterday and new brake lever. After that I want to adjust the valve lash then maybe service the rear end. Still need to get a new rear pedal brake cable but that is about it for the old girl. Maybe even make a mount to put a taillight back on.

hippie-89
12-12-2013, 07:17 PM
it looks cool

neverdone
12-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks. Still need to find the time to put on the new cables and such. Maybe this weekend.

jakestrawn
02-19-2014, 02:17 AM
The narrow front rim is the ticket. Nice work

neverdone
05-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Now that the weather is warming back up time to tinker a little bit. Might actually get the new cables put on. Also think I am going to adjust the valve lash on it. Its pretty ticky. Doubt it has ever been done.

85XMAN
05-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Great trike man I recently picked up an 85' SX with bent valves. I have the motor almost done thanks to a donor 250ES, just have to do a cam chain swap and im set. I am going to do some rigging with the rear fenders about 1/3 is missing. It will be the rat/mud/rod haha good looks though with the 86 stuff interested to see with the seat and boots together in blue should look pretty cool. Anyhow great job bringing it back to life!

Bigred97
06-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Looks nice.

neverdone
04-10-2016, 07:05 AM
Locked down a trx250 parts quad yesterday. Going to harvest the swing arm off that for a stretched swinger on the trike. One of those things I have always wanted to do. Guess now I will. Picked up basically the whole quad minus wheels and tires for $150. Thought it was a good deal. Going to strip off anything I can use for parts and such then scrap the rest.

edizzle89
04-14-2016, 10:29 AM
man that thing is clean! i recently got a 250sx too. its nice but not as nice as yours! lol