PDA

View Full Version : 86 big red rear brake question

M_Finny
08-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Hey guys I'm brand new to this site and is my very first post so excuse the noon. I bought an 86 big red to restore and ran into an issue on the rear brakes. This machine need it all. Backing plate, drum , drum cover and apparently all these parts are discontinued. So I look at eBay to see if there are any hard to find parts there and of course there is. I know the 85 models don't interchange but what about the 1986 sx250? I know there are similarities in the drive train but do the rear brakes interchange? They look similar in the pics. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated and sorry for the novel post I typed here.

dougspcs
08-12-2013, 01:09 PM
The rear brake from an 85 won't transfer..I got a complete 86 rear brake assy from a friend that scraped damaged trike( drum, outer housing, backing plate, shoes, linkage...). Tried to transfer it to my 85 BR and found it wouldn't mount up..the axle tube/stub are different.

It's now sitting in a milk crated in my shop..all parts are there except the hubs which he kept. $100 plus shipping and it's yours (shipped from Michigan should run $30-40ish.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you pics of all the parts so you can see their condition..it's all super clean. The donor trike was hit by a pickup while the owner was plowing his drive..it was super low hours at the time of it's demise!!