PDA

View Full Version : 250SX Front Wheel/Tire question

rooster67
08-12-2013, 01:24 PM
So I have setup the front wheel/tire combo on the SX by following a thread on here about a 10x5 Douglas front wheel. I purchased a Kenda 22x10x8 tire for the wheel. If you view the picture in the attachment below it is a size comparison of the new wheel/tire combo next to the stock wheel and tire combo. The old tire is the traditional 22x11x8, but as you can see the old tire is a true 22 inches tall where the new tire is a little less that 21 inches. Is this normal or should I contact bike bandit (tire seller) and get a new tire? I mean i know that all tires have a "true" diameter but an entire inch or more in difference is crazy to me. Thoughts??

https://garrettshare.shutterfly.com/pictures/145

rooster67
08-12-2013, 01:28 PM
side note- I know that in the picture the wheel CENTERS arent even so it submits a false impression, but my tape measure is showing new tire diameter at jjjust under 21 inches and the stock old tire at a little over 22 inches.

dougspcs
08-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Very common my friend..since many tire manufacturers use their diameter measurement as a suggestion not as a strict spec.

I have bought many tires in the past that when place side by side with others of the same diameter they are grossly different..

Case and point on my recent 250ES I installed 26" tires all around..look at the picture and decide for yourself if the front doesn't look a crapload smaller..and that is with the same manufacturer and make of tire. Just the rear are 12" wide and the front is 8" wide..

But 26" on the sidewall stamped it is!! Wish I'd bought the 27" front..at least it would look right..still kicks ass by the ton though!

wonderboy
08-12-2013, 01:46 PM
..look at the picture and decide for yourself if the front doesn't look a crapload smaller..

Hey Doug, do you mount up your tires yourself? The only reason I ask is that I've had the yahoo's at the tire shop way overinflate them when trying to seat the beads. I think that this can permanently stretch the tires, resulting in them being much bigger circumference at the same pressure as another tire that wasn't stretched.

I've since learned to mount the tires myself and avoid this. Just something to think about...

What I used to do is ask the tire guy to leave the valve stem core out, so that the tire would relax back down after they seated the bead.

dougspcs
08-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Hey Doug, do you mount up your tires yourself? The only reason I ask is that I've had the yahoo's at the tire shop way overinflate them when trying to seat the beads. I think that this can permanently stretch the tires, resulting in them being much bigger circumference at the same pressure as another tire that wasn't stretched.

I've since learned to mount the tires myself and avoid this. Just something to think about...

What I used to do is ask the tire guy to leave the valve stem core out, so that the tire would relax back down after they seated the bead.

I have mounted a few in the past myself, but since it's often difficult to set the bead on some of the soft tires I regularly take them to a tire shop.

The one I use has a 'bead-cannon' which as the name implies shoots a blast of air under the bead to seat it..this uses the higher volume of air to set unlike some that use a lot of pressure which can damage a low pressure tire like ours. Damned loud too..it'll make you hit dirt if you don't know it's going coming!

If they can't get it beaded without the cannon they will often insert a tube and inflate it..they crack the bead in one spot and slip the tube out.

I've never had a structurally damaged tire from these guys and since mounting an ATV tire can be a pain in the ass of epic proportions..I mostly let them to it, I'm too old for that crap and they are very good!!

I usually ask my guys to leave the pressure near max when I get them for a couple hours anyway...this allows the tire to stretch out and form a memory at the bead width and seal up. Other wise it may pop back off when you drop to low pressure (2-3psi) and take some corners at speed.

If your 'yahoos' are going over pressure when they mount them I fear for them..as one who has personally witnessed a tire burst from overpressure when seating they are risking not only damage to the tire but to the operator of the tire machine. ATV tires say expressly in most cases the maximum pressure that should be used to seat the bead!