PDA

View Full Version : Just a heads up about scammers.

atc007
08-13-2013, 05:11 PM
This may not pertain to a lot of you,but I thought I would report it anyhow. I have my Email in my sig,,which amazes me how MANY pm's I still get !! Anyhow,, I get a TON of emails from 3wheeler guys and some gals all around the world ,and it blows my wifes mind. Well,, I have been waiting,and waiting. And last night it happened. Somebody emailed me saying he had a liquid R ,all built up,and a 84 also. I knew right away it was a scam. But there was a phone #,so I called it today. He picked right up,,wanted to know if I was Bill or Steve,,so Steve,,whoever you are,you got the email with pics.. I could tell from a million miles away it was not real,,but he was oh so eager to ship it,from Mississippi. Even bad people watch in here.. Be careful out there !

rg97
08-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Just goes to show that if it sounds too good to be true, it IS!!! 99% of the time. Ive seen the same bike on CL in Northwest PA and in Cali at the same time. Now tell me how thats supposed to work?!?!?!

Agree to the deal and give him your local police station as your address. That'll teach him something.

honda200xguy
08-14-2013, 01:25 AM
Next time just say
"Yea, go ahead and send it to my house, i'll pay you when it gets here."
That'll shut em up.

kb0nly
08-14-2013, 10:29 AM
As soon as i see a CL add or otherwise that says they will ship something as big as a trike i just close that window and move on.... 99.999% scam

MRSOUND
08-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Scams run both ways. I have one on Cl now and the 1st text response I got was California:crazy:. "Can't get off work but will have someone come look at it and arrange for shipping more details please". Yea right, for fair condition YTM 200 someone wants to ship it cross country. Figure it's the old "give me your account # and I'll deposit the money in it" scam. Thanks for your interest but will not ship was my gracious reply. Response was thanks for the extra details! Yea right. Next person to respond? You guessed it another southern Cali area code:rolleyes:

atc007
08-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Yeah, with ANY cl ad or anything internet related it's to be expected. But I had ran nothing. Just my sig,,on here.. It was from a Larry Hadley :)

rg97
08-14-2013, 05:51 PM
I just dont get why whenever i have something on CL i get scam emails, almost guaranteed 5-6 per ad, that say just, with no other words "Is it still for sale?" Seeing this enough time, i know that its a scam, because of the 'it', which is suspicious because i would at least put what the item is. I also know its a scam just from the sheer number of emails that say those words, because they are exactly the same, every time. The world is full of stupid people, i guess we are the fortunate ones...

MRSOUND
08-15-2013, 02:55 PM
Well not to get off topic but I had a first last night.. LOCAL guy text me about the wheeler I had CL. Haggled price through text, set a time he would be able to come see it, showed up on time, took it for a ride, & handed me cash.:D If they all could be that simple! Time to get another one ready to go, it's the beginning of the thinning!

Dave Little
08-15-2013, 10:41 PM
It never ends,
I have a couple Skandic wide track sleds on CL that I'm trying to sell/part out and I get a text from Houston, TX. Guy wants me to call him, but it's one of those speak your name messages that pics up....scam. He keeps texting me and reveals that he wants both sleds and that he can't call because he is deaf. Well he got all bent out of shape when I told him if I were deaf I'd have better things to do with my time than buying sled projects halfway across the country. Scammers are getting more sophisticated. A good rule is that if the shipping is more that the item is worth, then it's a scam.

Amazing also how many people text you on ads. especially when you say texts will be ignored. Like I want to host a f*ucking soap opera for half an hour. I prefer to put my phone number in the ad because as soon as I hear someone speak, I can tell a tremendous amount of info about them not the least of which is intelligence level, sincerity, ability to finish the deal and so on. When someone wants to set up a time to meet via text, how can you take that seriously? I have a hard time believing that my time is not at risk of getting squandered by some slow-witted adle-brained rube that is just smart enough to turn a spark plug and just dumb enough to accumulate junk to make a trade with. I don't know...seems there are a LOT of dooshbags involved with anything that has a small engine attached to it, and more if you have to add oil to the gas.

MRSOUND
08-16-2013, 07:09 AM
^^^^^ Never been there so I don't know but my first thought would have been how places are there to ride snowmobiles in Texas? Don't think I ever heard Texas and snowmobile in the same sentence. LOL