PDA

View Full Version : 350x Rear Fender

Dirk D
08-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Hi All,
I am a new proud proud owner of a 1986 350x and 1985 200x that I got in a package deal for $1650. The 350x runs pretty good for being 27 years old, while the 200x needs valves or rings, because she smokes like a freight train. I plan to fix the smaller details now, and do a full rebuild this winter. Anyhow on to the topic at hand, on the 350x I am trying to tell if it has the original fender that somebody painted, or is it an aftermarket? I am thinking it was oem because of the atc chain sticker, but it doesn't fit the greatest and isn't tight against the spring latch (1/4" to 1/2" of play) like the 200 x does. A few more questions to the 350x gurus, shouldn't the seat fit tighter against the tank than in the photos? And the last one, I ordered new rubber for the tank mounts, and they seem to line up very good, trying to get the bolts in is almost impossible (almost, I can do it, it just takes a quite a bit of force), any frame tweak I should be looking for to cause this?
I appreciate the help.

PS.
If there is anybody in southwest OH that can rebuild the 200x motor, shoot me a PM.175482175483175484175485

dougspcs
08-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Non-OEM plastic there partner..the fit issue is likely from the plastic itself and not the frame. Original plastic has a black mudflap on he back, has nicer lines, and a recess the kicker fits into.

Pretty good deal you got there..in this are you couldn't get a running 350X for $1650.

Post some pics of the 200x.

Dirk D
08-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Non-OEM plastic there partner..the fit issue is likely from the plastic itself and not the frame. Original plastic has a black mudflap on he back, has nicer lines, and a recess the kicker fits into.

Pretty good deal you got there..in this are you couldn't get a running 350X for $1650.

Post some pics of the 200x.

That's what I thought,now I know now to keep it around for rough riding, and order a new one. Does the newer plastic fit tighter on the spring latch? I noticed it the seat mount on the frame was cracked, also noticed in another build threadhttp://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?47456-350x-Motocross-Build-Pushing-the-Limits somebody raised the mounts up, i suppose to take up the slop. The frame question was more of an issue to do with the gas tank fitment.

Dirk D
08-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Well,
I got to look over the the 350 some more tonight, I have been designing an aluminum air box in the mean time and busy at work, any I couldn't figure out the gas, tank until I finally looked on the gas tank itself and found this cluster. What a mess! It am not sure what to do right now, the tank is completely clean and dent free on the outside. I may grind off all the bondo, jbweld, or whatever they got holding the mount on.Make a fixture to reposition the mount and re-weld it. Or buy an IMS tank.

The rear motor mount is broke too, did Honda really just use a single shear bolt design on that rear mount, or am I missing something?

wonderboy
08-20-2013, 07:41 AM
On your rear motor mount, you are missing things. First, there is supposed to be a metal tab extending down from the frame to capture the free end of that bolt. Also, there is an aluminum spacer that spans the distance between the edge of the motor case and this metal tab from the frame.

Download the service manual for your machine and then check out the first page of the "Engine Removal / Installation" section (section 5). They have a nice drawing of the motor mount points. You can see how the rear mount is supposed to be in these drawings.

Also, it appears that your exhaust isn't in the best position. There is a mounting hole visible in the picture just behind that bend in the exhuast pipe. On the OEM exhaust, there is a boss on the exhaust that a bolt goes into from the outside (through that mounting hole in the frame). The only reason I bring this up is that it appears that the exhaust is very close to the crankcase. I'd try to get a bit more clearance if you are able to.

wonderboy
08-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Here is a screenshot of the rear mount from the service manual.

dougspcs
08-20-2013, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I'd say you have more than one issue there son..

Might I suggest it's time to strip the trike..blast the frame, then take stock of any and all cracks, bends and repairs.

Then a bit of welding and a gussett kit to strengthen..powder coat and reassemble. You're rocking!

Dirk D
08-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I'd say you have more than one issue there son..

Might I suggest it's time to strip the trike..blast the frame, then take stock of any and all cracks, bends and repairs.

Then a bit of welding and a gussett kit to strengthen..powder coat and reassemble. You're rocking!

Yeah, figured that out last night looking at all parts fische, build ups, etc. The only crack that is visible at this point, is the rear seat mount, which seems common. Don't worry, This winter this thing will get stripped, and complete rebuild. The atc 70 and 200x (i got an extra frame and motor for the 200x in the package deal) just came back from blast, so I can do any mockups, and fix weak spots, welding, etc on clean frames. I will probably sent the 350x frame to get stress relieved after gusseting. I am part owner of machine and fabrication shop, so , alot of brackets and etc. i can send to my laser house to get cut, and bend everything in house.

Here is picture of the shop:naughty:

Dirk D
08-20-2013, 11:40 AM
On your rear motor mount, you are missing things. First, there is supposed to be a metal tab extending down from the frame to capture the free end of that bolt. Also, there is an aluminum spacer that spans the distance between the edge of the motor case and this metal tab from the frame.

Download the service manual for your machine and then check out the first page of the "Engine Removal / Installation" section (section 5). They have a nice drawing of the motor mount points. You can see how the rear mount is supposed to be in these drawings.

Also, it appears that your exhaust isn't in the best position. There is a mounting hole visible in the picture just behind that bend in the exhuast pipe. On the OEM exhaust, there is a boss on the exhaust that a bolt goes into from the outside (through that mounting hole in the frame). The only reason I bring this up is that it appears that the exhaust is very close to the crankcase. I'd try to get a bit more clearance if you are able to.

Just ordered a nice 400ex head pipe on ebay, probably go with the LEXX 400ex muffler, since it comes with 2 exhaust tips. I have a friend of a friend that owns a cnc tube bending business, I just MAY make mock/fabricate the pipe up, send it to him to digitally scan/CMM it, and then he can mandrel bend the tube so it looks factory.