PDA

View Full Version : IT LIVESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS BIG RED LIVESSSSSSSSSSSSS first time since the mid 90's

ericmreimer
08-14-2013, 10:35 PM
I GOT IT RUNNING! I got it to idle for about a half hour or so to burn the gunk off of it and so I could recharge the battery!

So there were two things that I (or actually Kbonly) figured out.

-First the inhibitor relay was bad. I jumped it out and that let the start solenoid kick in to turn the started.
-Second the Start button did not work so I disconnected it and ran a jumper between the two green/red and connected them to get it to kick the starter. So I have a bad start button.

I finally got it to run by hooking it up to some jumper cables on the car to help the starter.....killed the battery trying to start it. (good thing it charged with the alternator why idling)
Now it ran like crap but it still ran. First time its run since the mid 90's. I have a couple things that need some work, it idles kind of crappy, sounds sort of noisy and runs rich but seems doesn't sputter or back fire. I, ran it through all the gears and reverse to full throttle and it seems ok. I think it just needs some tuning and it'll be good to go. Soon as i get the rear rims and new tires I'll take it for a spin. it kicked out a bunch of rust from the exhaust....i'll be replacing that with a DB sooner or later any way.

OH one bad thing.....the rear foot brake goes to the floor so I'll be pulling that all apart and looking for tips and advise as I go on rebuild the brakes.

Huge thank you to all that helped so far!!!

Ghostv2
08-14-2013, 10:41 PM
As for putting new shoes on drum brakes, i have noticed that when buying new ones you have to sand them down ALOT to even get the drum to go back on. Just something to think about if it does not fit on good.

dougspcs
08-15-2013, 09:48 AM
As for putting new shoes on drum brakes, i have noticed that when buying new ones you have to sand them down ALOT to even get the drum to go back on. Just something to think about if it does not fit on good.

Or buy the OEM shoes to avoid the aftermarket crap fit issues..

If you want it to last another 20 years then use the good OEM original stuff..if you want it to go where most Chinese quads go in 3-5 years then use the Chinese replacement parts to save a buck!

Your call!!

I hope Eric, you aren't going to dream of running that thing with 15 year old oil in the engine, change it!!..also take the carb apart and thoroughly clean it and flush the old crap fuel out of the tank..

It'll save another thread in a couple days asking why it runs so bad.

But if you have already done this I retract my comments.

kb0nly
08-15-2013, 10:27 AM
I second dougs comments.. Change oil, fresh fuel, clean carb, and i add this.. New spark plug if you havent already, and BEFORE you get it moving on its wheels drain, flush, and refill the rear diff!!! Its been sitting a long time, now you spun the rear axle and got the crud moving around in there, drain it again even if you have already, i forget if you did or not, then flush it out and refill. What i do is let it drain then with the drain plug still out i pump in some fresh gear lube to push out some more until it looks clean coming out the drain plug.

Glad you got it running!

Did you take the start button apart to see whats wrong with it? They are usually repairable unless it got really corroded and rusted up in there. As for the brakes, i also agree that OEM is best, BUT, i have used the Vesrah brake shoes on a couple trikes and they fit perfectly fine. Before you tear it apart get the service manual from my server if you haven't already. You will need one special tool, a 41mm wrench or spanner adapter for your breaker bar. There is a few guys making these online, i bought a 41mm spanner adapter for my breaker bar and torque wrench from my local auto parts store as its available for a GM application as well. I think he said it was a water pump or something that it was needed for, i only cared he had a 41mm spanner in stock. LOL

Here is what it looks like..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lisle-13500-41mm-Water-Pump-Wrench-for-GM-1-6L-13500-/230833539539?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item35bec049d3&vxp=mtr

If its running noisy check the timing chain adjustment, go through the process of adjusting the tensioner, it might also need the valves adjusted which is pretty common. I was just thinking, i think you mentioned in your other post you bought a new carb? Unless i am confusing you with someone else. If thats the case it just needs some tuning, read the spark plug and get it adjusted!

ericmreimer
08-15-2013, 02:36 PM
First things I did was change the oil, clean the screen thimble looking thing lol, drain and refill the rear end lube, new air filter, bought a new carb and new spark plug. Has all new fuel line and new inline filter also. I want this to be my ride for the next 30 years lol I'll take your advise and drain and flush both rear and oil again to get all the debris out.

I already have the service manual! Thanks by the way for publishing that site and if you need any graphics for it, let me know!

I'll post about the start switch later.

effort=results
08-15-2013, 10:19 PM
congrats. gota love that feeling of accomplishment when they start singing again....... pics if u got em.

metalsaj
08-16-2013, 01:02 AM
Woot, another one saved.

kb0nly
08-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Your welcome on the manual! And hmm, maybe i will have to spice it up with some more graphics, just haven't had time yet.