PDA

View Full Version : chinese carb on atc 110 question.

effort=results
08-18-2013, 08:51 PM
so i got one on ebay and my 110 runs better thru middle and top end. my only complaint is at dead idle to full throttle it will fall on its face. if u rev it up a lil and the floor it ,she screams right off. so my question is should i try moving the needle to a more rich or lean state. i went thru 2 old stock carbs and never got them to run right. so i had to put this one on. your suggestions appreciated.

RIDE-RED 250r
08-18-2013, 09:09 PM
First thing I would do is swap in your old OEM Keihin pilot and main jets. Make sure they are clean and clear...

I have found that the chinese carbs do work ok, but their jets, particularly the pilot jets seem inconsistent and as compared to the Keihin pilot jets they don't have the same amount and size holes in the pilot jet tube. Also, the chinese jets are not numbered so you really can't make any adjustments in jetting with any degree of confidence.

I have run a chinese carb with OEM Keihin jets with no issue....

Also, I would recommend a quick check of your ignition timing before assuming you have a jetting issue. All you need is a timing light and a battery. Just remove the timing access plug from the stator housing, should be facing toward the front of the machine. Then hook the timing light up to a 12v battery and your spark plug wire and check the timing as you would a vehicle. You shine the timing light into the viewing hole and pull the trigger. At idle you should see the timing mark line up with the index mark. When you rev the engine you will see the timing advance.

I would check the timing just to make sure it's on. I had a go-round with my 110 shortly after I bought it. I did not realize they had adjustable timing and had not joined this forum yet. It ran like absolute garbage. The I got to checking things and figured out it has adjustable timing and that it can/should be checked with a timing light. Made the check and the required adjustment and it made all the difference in the world. All that time I thought I was chasing a stubborn carb problem....

effort=results
08-18-2013, 09:53 PM
i had to reset my timing after this new carb. havent thought of swapping jets . well the seat in the chinese carb. what is causing the stall. is it to rich . ill post a vid of what it does soon. thanks . ill take the carb down and compare parts.

hokeplaya05
09-11-2013, 04:45 PM
i had a ebay chinese carb on mine as well and it would fall on its face giving it full throttle, but was good at mid to top end, i am now looking for a replacement carb since the threads on one of the studs that attached it to the intake manifold stripped out and the boss that holds the needle that keeps the choke lever from moving broke as well (crappy chinese casting methods). i guess i have to go with another ebay chinese made one again, unless there is another option?

RIDE-RED 250r
09-11-2013, 06:29 PM
i had a ebay chinese carb on mine as well and it would fall on its face giving it full throttle, but was good at mid to top end, i am now looking for a replacement carb since the threads on one of the studs that attached it to the intake manifold stripped out and the boss that holds the needle that keeps the choke lever from moving broke as well (crappy chinese casting methods). i guess i have to go with another ebay chinese made one again, unless there is another option?

The other option is an OEM carb in good serviceable condition...

hokeplaya05
09-11-2013, 06:55 PM
that is what i am looking for on ebay, but havent seen anything that is in good condition, guess i will just have to watch for it or bite the bullet and get another chinese one. the last one lasted less than a year before everything started happening so we'll see

effort=results
09-11-2013, 08:47 PM
wow i havent had those problems........yet. still falls on its face but livable. and all the rest of the herd has got my attention. scary thing is a old carb on ebay may still be gunked up with no way to fix it . i dipped mine twice and still no mid to top end.

hokeplaya05
09-12-2013, 07:38 AM
i just bought an oem carb from an 85 and it is in what looks to be great condition off ebay, i figured if it wasnt i would clean it up and get a rebuild kit and hopefully it will last a lot longer than the chinese ones.

ATC ADDICTED
09-12-2013, 10:24 AM
after re-verifying timing, raise the needle 1 slot = lower the c clip I slot on the needle and test.... should run a lot better