PDA

View Full Version : Source for rear axel nuts?

ericmreimer
08-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Trying to find a source for axel nuts for my 84 big red.

ericmreimer
08-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Thinking these might work, what do you guys think?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=150710743790
Or from this place
http://www.durablue.com/prod_display/axle_end_nuts/6/0.php.htm

Edit, I bought a set of these. $20 for two nuts just seems crazy though.

GunsShooting
08-18-2013, 11:29 PM
$20 for two nuts just seems crazy though.

It sure does. I wouldn't pay the big money to replace the worn (rounded) wheel nuts for my Suzuki quad, and I couldn't find anyplace on the net that told me the thread size so I could just order some nuts. So I took one of the nuts to Lowes; found out what thread they were and bought 8 with nylon lock inserts for less than I would have paid to order one or two of the "official" nuts. Next time, try to get some good dimensions and hit a NAPA or a hardware store, you might find just the ones you need. You can always cut castle grooves with a grinder a cutoff wheel in a pinch, if you can't find castellated ones. Hope the ones you order are perfect though.

Russ

kb0nly
08-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Your better off spending the $20, good choice!

Those nuts from Lowe's the Nylock ones, are likely grade 5 and fairly soft. You want harder grade for this, i emailed durablue a while back asking about them and they said Grade 8 i believe for their products, and definitely castle nuts and cotter pins. I wouldn't trust Nylock for nothing... I have had them come loose on critical applications before and learned my lesson.

Napa does carry the castle nuts in metric of the correct size, i bought some for a trike a while back. They cost about $7 each though, so it wouldnt have been a huge savings but you could have got by for a few bucks cheaper after buying two nuts and the cotter pins.

Make sure you replace the cotters also! And put a washer under the nut if your missing them also.

Dennis Kirks and a few other dealers online have them, again around $8 each.

GunsShooting
08-19-2013, 01:11 AM
Nobody was recommending a nylock nut for his axle.

ericmreimer
08-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks gun! The size listed on the microfiche is 18mm x 1.50 I actually pretty much already did what you suggested....lol, we must think alike. My two local NAPA's and a couple other older hardware stores, home depo and lowes.....and tractor supply seem to carry up to a 16 millimeter with a 20 thread pitch. When I got the big red, there wasn't any on there at all, I just got the wheels saturday from the previous owner. One of the hubs is too rusted to use also so I'll be looking for of this too.

Howdy
08-19-2013, 10:25 AM
I have a gallon bucket of axle nuts, so I never have to go find any at the store. LOL
Howdy

ericmreimer
08-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Got the Durablue nuts in the mail today. Perfect fit. Nice quality but I think still pricy.