PDA

View Full Version : Big Red questions

Beau
08-19-2013, 07:32 PM
a guy on craigslist has a Honda three wheeler for sale he is claiming is a big red. its a few hour drive so I haven't seen it except for the pictures on craigslist. is there a way to tell if it is a big red other than seeing the words big red on it. also how many different big reds did Honda make. guy is uncertain of size and year but claims he knows it to be a big red.

also I have a atc 110 that has a rusty tank no holes though. how do you get the rust out. also I need the air intake boot from the carb to the air box anyone know where to get one. I just bought it the other day ran across this site trying to research the big reds some. all I have seen as far as big reds go is I think anything before 84 is a 200 and 85s up are 250's. is that correct?

one last thing. anyone know where to get cheap tires for these things. I really don't want to spend 50+ on each tire.

ericmreimer
08-19-2013, 07:58 PM
82-87 big reds were made. It's a atc200es for 82-84 and a atc250es for 85-87. There is a tag on the neck where the forks attach below the handle bars.

tag

Post the link and we'll tell you what it is for sure.

Under 50 for tires is going to be tough. Only used for that price. Watch Craigslist. Enay is probably the best place for used parts like the air boot. I bought a new carb for 24 for my 84 big red.

Also.....you second and third question should really be in different threads to get good answers. On the gas tank question look down a bit.....there was a thread just the other day. Search also pulls a lot of answers.

Beau
08-19-2013, 08:07 PM
I would assume the 250 is faster. I know a guy that is willing to sell me his for 150 supposedly runs, gas tank needs to be cleaned out. just dreading the drive of 3 hours one way to go get it. but I found another guy close by him that also has 2 atc 70's he will sell me for 180 for both. I had a 70 when I was three until my mom gave it to her douchebag ass boyfriend at the time, I was about 15 when that happened, otherwise id still have that for my kids to ride now.

ericmreimer
08-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Fast....probably but the big red are not sport bikes, keep that in mind. They're utility bikes and geared that way. The 85-87 had a suspended rear end, reverse and high low gears, full front and rear racks.

That is a pretty good deal from the sounds of it.

dougspcs
08-19-2013, 08:31 PM
82-87 big reds were made. It's a atc200es for 82-84 and a atc250es for 85-87. There is a tag on the neck where the forks attach below the handle bars.

200S 82/83
200ES 84 only
250ES 85/86/87 and 88 in Australia and UK

The 85-87 had a suspended rear end, reverse and high low gears, full front and rear racks.

No high/low range on this model..

Beau, questions to ask the guy to break down what model..

1st: kick start(250cc) or pull start(200cc)
2nd: shaft drive (84-87) or chain drive (82-83)

Those questions should help you narrow down the exact year/model of big red..if it's a big red at all!

hublake
08-19-2013, 09:19 PM
I believe that the 82-83 Big Reds were 200e not 200s.

hatc200x1
08-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Yup the 82-83 were 200e's.

dougspcs
08-19-2013, 09:25 PM
I believe that the 82-83 Big Reds were 200e not 200s.

My bad, wrong call..

kb0nly
08-19-2013, 09:32 PM
If you could let us see the pictures we could give you a lot better idea of model, condition, value, etc.

Bren_downe
08-19-2013, 11:13 PM
If you go look at this mystery trike and have a smart phone, this is what I have done before. On the home page is a "vin decoding link" have that open in your browser when you show up. As you peeking at it whip out your phone and type in the vin and there you have it. The vin is foun on the steering neck, right side.

Beau
08-20-2013, 07:10 PM
you guys have been a lot of help. money is gonna keep me from going till next Tuesday. I hope he doesn't sell it before then. I was hoping to buy the 2 70's and fix one to sell for enough to make the other two free. anyone know where to buy cheap tires.

Beau
08-27-2013, 09:43 PM
bought the big red for a 100 bucks. it is an 84 200es. plastics are pretty nice couple of little cracks. gas tank has two dents and a rust hole on the bottom. some trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro cut the throttle cable off so I got to get that. few little wires hanging got to find where they go. tires seem ok not dry rotted have some plugs in them. headlight works comes on when I pull the cord. has a brake on the front wheel but no handle or peddle for the front brake. anyone know where that hooks up or how. hopefully I can get it running for a couple of hundred.

the 2 70s I got seem a little rough. both need the pull cord housing and assembly. need to rebuild both carbs and buy both a seat. plastics seem pretty good as well. gas tanks are a bit rusted but that's easy. hopefully once I get the gas tanks cleaned and the carbs rebuilt I can get one running. hope I didn't get screwed on these two 70's.

Bren_downe
08-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Kbonly posted above, follow the link in his signature and get the manual. Study it like the bible, or whatever religious publication you prefer.

ericmreimer
08-27-2013, 10:17 PM
awesome! picture are cool....I like pictures lol. Seriously, pics of the wiring and we should be able to easily tell you what they are. Go ^^^^^ and look at kb0nly's signature and download the service manual! it has EVERYTHING in it, parts break downs and schematics. It has your brake info in there. Ebay is an excellent source for parts! Throttle cable should be only about $20 or so. I have two of these sitting in my garage so if you need pictures of anything specific, let me know.

Beau
08-27-2013, 10:30 PM
I just searched ebay for the pullstart housing for the 70's. used they want 90 bucks new 150. that's absolutely retarded. anyone got any cheaper or know where to get these. got to have them first to even see if they will run on ether(starting fluid) not sure if I spelt that right.

ericmreimer
08-27-2013, 11:02 PM
http://www.hondaatc70.com/Pages/default.aspx

Check these guys out for the 70. Not cheap I know but there are parts out there!

Beau
08-28-2013, 10:28 AM
here are some photos.
in the one picture im curious as to what the lever is on the head. I am assuming a pressure release of some sort. not sure.
then where do the wires in the pictures go. there should be two not connected one is black in one picture and in another picture there is a red one.

ericmreimer
08-28-2013, 11:42 AM
You really need to download the service manual.....it has all the little question answers in it.
Handle in the picture is to decompress your cylinder to assist starting if its hot. So you're right, it is a pressure release.

Red goes to the ignition switch and the regulator from the fuse at the battery.
Black goes from the CDI to the kill switch on the left handlebar and the ignition switch. its part of the engine kill circuit. that might go to the CDI in the background.

here is a color wiring diagram that'll help out alot.

Beau
08-28-2013, 05:20 PM
that diagram helped a lot. the big red started up with some carb cleaner. got to get the small hole in the tank fixed and a petcock to get it running. I think the tires are good not dry rotted atleast so tubes at most if not just some green slime and it will be running.

ericmreimer
08-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Cool! Sounds like you're on your way to having a fun toy! Good job!

Beau
04-03-2015, 11:27 AM
cant believe i have had this thing for 2 years and just got it running 2 days ago. bought a new carb and a cdi for it. fired right up. will pull the front tire. had to buy a tank and rear rack for it as well. i have about 400 in it. cant believe i waited this long to get it going. im sealing the tank this weekend so i can ride it without leaking gas from the seams next week.

fieldy
04-03-2015, 11:30 AM
What are you using to seal the metal tank?

Beau
04-03-2015, 04:42 PM
What are you using to seal the metal tank?

whatever o'rieleys sells. it was 30 for a quart. supposed to take everything off the tank like petcock and gas cap. anything that can come out of tank like debris or liquids or any filters. tank has to be dry. then you pour the stuff in and move it around till you have a good coating on the inside. then pour the extra back into the container. let dry for like 12 hours i think and it is supposed to be good to go. its called red something another i think. thats what they called it at o'rieleys anyways.

Chopsaw
04-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Red cote . Your gonna have a mess .

tripledog
04-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Is this the sealer you are using, Beau? I use it all the time and it works great. Mask off anything that you don't want sealed (the stuff is nearly impossible to remove), and wear old clothes and latex gloves.

Beau
04-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Is this the sealer you are using, Beau? I use it all the time and it works great. Mask off anything that you don't want sealed (the stuff is nearly impossible to remove), and wear old clothes and latex gloves.

thats the stuff.
crap is expensive. i kinda want to buy some red honda spray paint and paint the tank too, but i want to ride it more.