PDA

View Full Version : Time for tires! Thinking Bear Claws....or??.....why not?

ericmreimer
08-19-2013, 08:44 PM
So since I have 3 totally flat tires, I obviously need new ones. These have been sitting on a barn floor for 20 years and are DONE!

My main question is from size and should I use the same tire in front? Why or why not?
I can't currently afford rims so ill be sand blasting the originals and using them so it'll be stock tire size.

From what I've seen ITB Mud Light, Kenda Bear Claws (I'm thinking dougspec)but not Executioners.
Ill be riding trails but not any real deep mud. Mostly want something that looks aggressive but not annoyingly harsh.

ShaftDrive225dx
08-19-2013, 09:02 PM
I ran two itp mudlites in the back of my 225dx when i had it:( anyway they ran great not too stiff at all for a mudd tire! They also gripped like a monkey and looked agressive without being over board. As for replacing the front with the same tire i dont know if that would make a difference??? I used my stock tire up front; i wonder myself!

dougspcs
08-19-2013, 10:06 PM
You are stuck in a tough spot Eric..1st love the idea of Bear Claws or Mud Lites. The later ones would be the most forgiving..you'd want to keep the pressure as low as possible to get the most cushion possible.

Executioners on a hard tail trike would be brutal!! A total spine crusher!!

No matter which way you go you are in for a harsher ride..all these aggressive tires are way heavier in construction than any of the OEM style balloons.

Hope your spine is younger and stronger than mine!!

GunsShooting
08-20-2013, 09:52 AM
The more balloony you can go, the better off you will be. The new knobbies I put on the back of my 1980 185 hard tail were not as large as the factory knobbies, and I really felt the difference.

Russ

brd812
08-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Consider the the wolly copies for the hard tail. I've had them on a 185 for years and work great. They are dated design, but are machines are old. Your back will thank you, I have lights on 4x4 quad and they are harsh compared to the stockers on hard pack.

dougspcs
08-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Woolys are a good wearing option..but as a mud tire. Not so great..

Had a set on my SX a few years back..didn't like them. For general trail application ok..

sanchez
08-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Bought bear claws, they were cheeper.

ericmreimer
08-21-2013, 10:01 AM
I think I'm going with Bear Claws. I'll be 100% honest, I have about 3 hours behind the seat of the big red and really won't be able to tell how I want it to handle for myself so selecting tires has been tough. It's experimenting anyway, right?

I do know i like the looks of the bear claws so I'll start there. Price is pretty decent too at $81.00 each with free shipping.

Now I'd buy rims too if there was a place I could get a $30 stock offset rim and get them mounted too for free. I think I remember something about Rocky mountain mounting and shipping for free but I couldn't find a rim for the stock size.

I'd consider playing around with sizes if I can keep the rim/tire combo down around #-$330 ish. I don't think i'd really want to much larger than a 10 inch wheels in back though.

dougspcs
08-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Sorry to say, you're gonna have a hard time finding anything in optional rims..the 4/150 rim is almost non-existent in the replacement market.

Either get the Bear Claws and load them onto the stock rims..or swap the hubs for standard 4/110 Honda hubs.

Some of the other members might be able to say for sure but I'll be thinking the hubs from another model, say a 200x may bolt on. I myself am not too familiar with the 200ES..the only one I owned was brief and I attempted no mods on it.

Then the sky is the limit on rim choices if you can get to a 4/110 hub..

Of course this only applies to the rear..front is a tougher swap.

ericmreimer
08-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Thats ok, I really need to direct more money into how it runs anyway and i'm 100% content sand blasting the stock rims and painting them.

I do have to source a back hub anyway because one was rusted so bad the splines just fell apart after remounting them. there are a few on e-bay so after payday, i'm getting tires and a new hub and I'll be ready to take on the world lol