PDA

View Full Version : video disc

Bumb
12-25-2003, 07:19 PM
any one ever herd of these

slippy4
12-25-2003, 08:12 PM
ive heard of them, wernt they like one of the first trys to a DVD? Big kinda like a record?

Bumb
12-25-2003, 08:32 PM
yea I was up in my grandparents attic and took them. they have some 200+ movies on these. so i took the ones I like.

Ace Mon
12-26-2003, 12:50 AM
eah but its called a laser disk , we used to have two players back in the day . Like 85 . They were OK , I liked them better than video tapes actually . The sound was better and you didnt have to rewind them .

Mobular
12-26-2003, 05:07 AM
I remember those from many years past. I found some a while back and did a search on Ebay to find values. No worth a lot, so if you are looking to expand the collection, hit up Ebay!

ATCnut
12-26-2003, 02:46 PM
I do not think that is a laser disk. Video disks came before laser disks, they are like a record, with a groove and a needle. If you have the player it could be cool

Ace Mon
12-26-2003, 03:03 PM
I beg to differ but they dont have a needle . I dont think there was ever a player that showed video by way of picking it up through a needle . They had eyes like a CD player did . True you can see the data on the disk and it looks like a vinyl LP because its as big as one . They couldnt compress the data like they can today .

junjun01
12-26-2003, 09:03 PM
I do not think that is a laser disk. Video disks came before laser disks, they are like a record, with a groove and a needle. If you have the player it could be cool
I Don't Agreed With You....I Think They Are Laser Disk,..Ace Mon is Right

ScottZJ
12-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Hey I had one of those Laser Disc players back in the days! Man those things are ancient. Yeah they were the first try on getting away from VHS and onto disc. Man have we come along way since then..........peace

Bumb
12-27-2003, 08:31 PM
I dont thin its a laser disc. Cuse they are in a plastic case and say video dics on them. Top right hand corner of the video in my first post. I have a player. Well about 2 working ones and im think i have about 2 more that i think work. Im gion to my grandparents to see if i can find any good movies. Maybe ill sell them on ebay. The ones I want. Get a few dollers to buy trike parts. Think people would buy them?? There are lots and lots of videos up in my grandparents attic. Over 200 of them. So who knows what I will do with them. They wiegh a lot thoe. about a pound per disc.

x.system
12-28-2003, 12:40 AM
I sold this one on ebay last year. It played laser disc, music cd's, and had a built in sega genisis. I mostly had people bidding from the UK, I guess they are still big items over there or something because it brought in about $200 and it cost the guy about $40 to ship it.

3 weelin geezer
12-28-2003, 06:28 AM
Actually, there was such a needle disk player. I once found one about 10 years ago and was about to try to play one of those laser disks in it but it just wouldnt go in. When I opened it up to find out what the heck was obstructing the slot, I found a needle that dropped down. Good thing it was like putting a big square block into a smaller hole or I'd have had to pay for that disk (it was rental movie). I have recently seen the old records it played at a local goodwill. They have a case that looks like a giant multimedia card about 10"x13" or so. Inside they contain the record. If you find one on ebay that claims to be rare, I would believe the guy. An improvement to the betamax but not much I figger.

Bumb
12-28-2003, 08:31 AM
betas kick ass. I had to hook up my girl friends dvd player threw her beta. I was like dam. Got it hooked up and working.

Jeb
12-29-2003, 11:52 AM
...I Don't Agreed With You....I Think They Are Laser Disk,..Ace Mon is Right

You should not have backed the ACE on this one. :shock: Hate to bring down the ACE in his glory! But what that is is a:

SelectaVision Video Disc.

They are just like a phonograph record inside. They were popular right before the VCRs got more affordable and popular in the early 80s. My Parents bought one and still have it and tons of the discs. Thats why we got one. The player and movies were cheap thanks to VCR coming out! I remember after a while the movies would tend skip and get hung-up and reset. And in mid-movie, you'd have to flip the disc over to side 2 to continue the movie. Long movies were a two disc set up so you'd have to flip once, then change discs, then flip again.

We tried to use the player to let my kids watch a couple of our old kids movies a month or so ago but after many many years of it setting idle on a shelf the little rubber bands inside no longer had the tension needed to turn things. Mom said she was throwing it out. :(

The LaserDisc players I remember were like giant CDs. These are definitely different and are like records.

I've looked at the selectavision discs on ebay. Not much going for them. I thought about selling those for mom since she has all the original star wars movies, The God Father, and lots of others. But I don't think its worth the trouble. I'm not sure they would be worth watching. they'd probably skip too much to be enjoyable, even for a collector if there is one. :D

That's something to watch for if you do buy some off ebay: ask if they are scratched up and skip or return prematurely.

Bumb
12-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Well to clear every thing up I did some searching if u care. http://www.cedmagic.com/selectavision.html check it out. Tells about them a little.

3 weelin geezer
12-31-2003, 02:32 AM
Did any of you with working machines ever try to play a music record on one of these things? I was going to to see if it would show something but I got rid of it before I found some old records and a jacket to stick it in. I figger it would at least make some cool psychadelic patterns on tv or something cool. I got it mistakenly thinking it was a laser disc player. Almost ruined a good movie just that the round disk fit not in the slot thats when I discovere the needle inside. If it doesnt fit, take cover off and put in laser disc thru top--bad idea. Say, Bumb how do you make your avatar move? is it a gif or something?

Bumb
12-31-2003, 09:51 AM
Yea its a gif I think.