PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Madness

C.J
08-22-2013, 02:00 PM
I didnt want to post anything until I had parts in hand and had at least the frame cut but......

So,, I've got this 88 LT250R rolling chassis i had bought.. I've also got a nice 87+ bottom end with a fresh crank and fresh trans bearings........ but the 88 frame was cut and redone to accept the 85/86 engine. The 87+'s have a power valve and the exhaust goes out the front, the 85/86 has no power valve and the exhaust goes out at an angle. So the frame has to be modded to run either engine in the different year frames. The 85/86 have a single down tube and the 87+ have an upside down Y downtube. Well, i would have to cut this frame anyway to put the spare motor i got in it. And while I'm at it I figured I'll go ahead and replace the complete cradle, all new tubing from the lower mount forward,,, and do a Tecate-3 front clip while I'm at it.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l536/Cj15941/photo_zps23f6a9b2.jpg (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/Cj15941/media/photo_zps23f6a9b2.jpg.html)

My plan is to have the 86 ATC250R rake angle with an 85 Tecate-3 front end because theres not enough room on the frame to mount side saddle style radiators.

So I need some help y'all,, please. I would like to know the rake angle of the 86 250R and I need a picture of the down tube and all of it as well... And I need the Tecate front end, radiator, and a steering neck that fits the Tecate pin.

So thats it. I let the secret out. A few people already know about it and may mess with me for telling already (lol).

I cant wait to get this thing built. I literally have everything for the Suzuki half of this build except for a top end. I already need to get one for my 87 so i will buy 2 when i can.

Alright, lets all hope this goes well!!

C.J
08-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Ok so apparently, thanks to a fella on another site, needing to know the Honda rake is unimportant because the trail is what's more important. I was planning to match the front geometry of the 86 Honda for this one but I guess that plan is changed now.

Bren_downe
08-22-2013, 05:45 PM
Dude I've been waiting for someone to do a Suzuki trike. What are you gonna use for a tank? I love the scoops on the RM's.

6speedthumper
08-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Can't wait to see this sucker on 3 wheels! I too have wanted to see a "TRI-RACER". haha

M.Pargiello
08-22-2013, 06:04 PM
This will be cool to see completed

C.J
08-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Dude I've been waiting for someone to do a Suzuki trike. What are you gonna use for a tank? I love the scoops on the RM's.

I'm gunna use the stock Quadracer tank. Im hoping it doesn't look too bad. There's a LOT that's still up in the air on this build but I'll get her sorted out bit by bit.

C.J
08-22-2013, 07:18 PM
This is kinda how the frame will look. Just try and imagine a t-3 front end on it lmao I did this with Microsoft paint. I only use the best of the best for frame design B) LMFAO

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/23/apy2ytuh.jpg

C.J
08-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Been doing a lot of reading about trail and rake and everything else like that so I'm a bit more knowledged on the front end now and semi-confident in my ability to build a trike that handles at least half-assed decent even.

Got someone who's hooking me up with the neck off an 86/87 T3. Now I just need the 84/85 front end. Think I found on on the bay for $140 but no axle, no hub, no rad. So I've got more yet to get.

C.J
09-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Ok, so I've been looking at tank options and think im going to go with either an 81 RM250 tank or 82 YZ250 tank. Still gotta get the front end,,, the one on ebay had leaky seals and they drained the forks for shipping,, plus i dont have the spare buck forty for them right now. lol

C.J
09-06-2013, 02:25 PM
What is the trail of a stock 85 Tecate? If someone could be so kind as to get me some pretty precise and accurate measurements I could figure it up myself,,

those measurements being

Head angle (rake) (could be measured off of the forks i believe if the tecate has rake built into them)
and
fork offset (being the measure meant from the center of the steering stem forward to the center of the of the forks)

6speedthumper
09-08-2013, 09:30 PM
I really can't wait to see this thing when the front end goes on a diet.

C.J
09-08-2013, 10:00 PM
I really can't wait to see this thing when the front end goes on a diet.

Dude I'm so ready to cut it up JUST so people know I'm serious about it lol
No one thinks I'm really gunna really do it. I'm just waiting to have all the parts in hand so I can knock it out kinda quick ya know,,, get the frame cut and rebraced all at once. Idk, maybe she'll get chopped up this weekend. I WANNA CUT IT SO BAD. I get twitchy when I'm around the frame. No joke

6speedthumper
09-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Haha! I understand. I've always wanted to see a LT turned into a 3 wheeler. Be badass. Best to have all parts though. That way you cut where you need too the first time.

C.J
09-10-2013, 05:09 PM
That trike is sweeeeeet! I wish I could find out what the acceptable trail is for a trike..

oldskool83
10-12-2013, 09:58 PM
I'd try and put a 250R front end on. The tecate front ends are just super wide and there is litterly no good rubber around for them or nice new fenders. Besides that I like your idea.

C.J
10-13-2013, 12:52 AM
My reasoning for going with the 85 Tecate is 1) radiator location, 2) superior forks, 3) fat tire, 4) cheaper, 5) 250R fender works with it.

I've literally gotten just about everything figured out for this build. The only 2 things left are tank and pipe.
But I can't get a steering neck. The guy who says will send me a neck and set of trees is been stupid busy (I fully understand) so hasn't been able to cut up the frame :/

6speedthumper
10-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Sure you don't want to use a 350x front end?! I have a spare frame that is junk but has a good neck. Also has triples/forks/hub.

C.J
10-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Sure you don't want to use a 350x front end?! I have a spare frame that is junk but has a good neck. Also has triples/forks/hub.

I mean,, I'm sure i could make it work some how,, but i just dont see where i would hang the rads at :/

im still waiting on the guy to tell me how much i owe him to send me the t3 neck and triples but hes just as bad as i am on sending things away it seems lol

pm me a price on the 350x shtuff. I want this thing going for the Invasion

oldskool83
10-17-2013, 03:28 PM
I have a 350X steering next you can have but the Vin numbers gotta come off if you want it cuz its titled in my name, if your interested just pay shipping, if not I keep it around for other bikes lol

I'm sure you could mount an old RM rads on it, 84-88's

i also have billet tripples for 350x/200x for USD forks, 50mm. I had them made I'd take $300 shipped to blow them out. I got prob $700 into them.

C.J
10-17-2013, 04:38 PM
maybe so. I was trying to keep from having to build a COMPLETE new front clip for it though. with the Tecate parts it's just "hack front end off, weld in steering neck at x degrees, fab lower cradle i front, put third wheel on" with any other front end its "hack off front end, fab tubes for rad mounts, etc etc"

86T3
10-17-2013, 06:59 PM
If you're going through all the work to convert it you might as well do it the best you can. Im not an expert on first gen tecates but id imagine there s a reason no other bikes had a radiator on the forks.

C.J
10-17-2013, 07:37 PM
well i mean, if i were like anyone else doing a conversion and had gobs of cash and a fine machine shop at my disposal i would. as it is im an 18 year old that no one takes seriously so im trying to do it with what ive got.

i dont have the material or stuff at my disposal to do it how it probably SHOULD be done, so im gunna do it how ever i can ya know?

trizilla
10-17-2013, 08:31 PM
i think you could still use a tecate rad if you wanted too with any other front end. if you get something honda you will get out much cheaper as parts are far more abundant. i have an 85 r frame i could cut the neck out of for you but it would be cheaper to go first gen 200x. tecate rads are about 13 inches wide so not that much wider than the 200x trips. make yourself some rad mounts to the trip clamp bolts.. if you shop around you might find a set of trike rads with the mounts and it would be simple welding for some tabs to mount them too. tecate tank might work, or any other bike tank for that matter. i like your idea, but getting the cheapest front end might help get the ball rolling.

oldskool83
10-17-2013, 09:27 PM
I think 1st i would try and source localish or cheap parts on here from member not looking to get rich. I think a tecate front end would be fine but theres a big bunch of us who seem to like to over engineer also. Once you start with anyfront end your going to see room for different things. Whats gonna look odd is a 250r fender on a T3 tripple due to the width. maybe do some rough ideas with MS paint to just give an idea. If I were closer Id help you.

oh crap i just realized I have a super clean set of 83-84 250R forks sitting in a box also...with 200X tripples that would need bored to 35mm if you'd want to use.

C.J
10-17-2013, 09:59 PM
i think you could still use a tecate rad if you wanted too with any other front end. if you get something honda you will get out much cheaper as parts are far more abundant. i have an 85 r frame i could cut the neck out of for you but it would be cheaper to go first gen 200x. tecate rads are about 13 inches wide so not that much wider than the 200x trips. make yourself some rad mounts to the trip clamp bolts.. if you shop around you might find a set of trike rads with the mounts and it would be simple welding for some tabs to mount them too. tecate tank might work, or any other bike tank for that matter. i like your idea, but getting the cheapest front end might help get the ball rolling.

thats a good idea,, its not hard to make adaption pieces for something like that either. New state of plan then!! Lol

oldskool83
10-17-2013, 10:03 PM
83-84 R front end as I would have 80% of what you all need pretty cheap too.

you gonna have to figure out a pipe however....the factory one will not work with any 3wheeler front end.

C.J
10-17-2013, 10:05 PM
I think 1st i would try and source localish or cheap parts on here from member not looking to get rich. I think a tecate front end would be fine but theres a big bunch of us who seem to like to over engineer also. Once you start with anyfront end your going to see room for different things. Whats gonna look odd is a 250r fender on a T3 tripple due to the width. maybe do some rough ideas with MS paint to just give an idea. If I were closer Id help you.

oh crap i just realized I have a super clean set of 83-84 250R forks sitting in a box also...with 200X tripples that would need bored to 35mm if you'd want to use.

an extremely few amount of members live anywhere near me (which SUCKS cause ive never seen any other trikes out in the wild (except one 350X at a party on my sand bar) so my only option is ebay or the message boards. I am an EXTREME over builder. so its guarantee to be over built some how (in many, many ways...). the 250R fender on the wide t3 front end is SWEET!!!!! looking lol (my opinion being based off the team green t3 with the t4 rear fenders)

oh crap those sound perfect,,, but oh crap i think my bank account has MAYBE 15.06 in it.....

C.J
10-17-2013, 10:08 PM
83-84 R front end as I would have 80% of what you all need pretty cheap too.

you gonna have to figure out a pipe however....the factory one will not work with any 3wheeler front end.

nice Paint skills my friend!!!! I think you are on to something. Im sure the R front hub is WAY cheaper then the T3 piece too!! Hit me with a price please?

and pipes...... hehehehehehe,,, well i can make my own pipes lol.. I've made 2 before and ive got a good friend who can help me out. And well,,, ive actually gotta get 3 pipes made: 1 for a stock top end, i want another to match the cylinder on my 265,,, and i've got something else cooking up for this,,,,,,,, lets just say double hybrid lol

Tecate250
11-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Man you build what you want. Ive had my share ofs" that will never work or this is a stupid thing. I had this idea for a long time but im not a suzuki fan at all. Look up eddie Sanders ALT 250r Used a 82 Rm 250 motor. Oh and to the guy who said something about the rad up front. No one else but Kawasaki used it. Yamaha did it to there yz 250 in 82. And I think the rad up front is the best idea.

C.J
11-11-2013, 12:39 PM
I tried calling Mr. Sanders to ask him about the ALT250R he raced but he wouldn't ever give me a call back or answer any of my emails. Oh well, all I wanted was forgotten info, I'm not a paying customer so I don't matter right? Lol
But I know a lot more about that Suzuki Trike thanks to a good phone conversation with someone.
It wasn't just an RM conversion like originally thought,,,,,

I am still going to go with the T3 front end just for simplicity sakes. But I've yet to get a steering neck in so that sucks major donkey d**g. But in the mean time I've been working on doing a mid-travel a-arm set up on my 87 LT250R (with the ported to hell 265 in it) and I've gotten 14 1/2" of ground clearance at the front frame rail now lol

But yea if I could get the freakin parts for this one I'd REALLY start tearing into it.

fabiodriven
11-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Just in response to the guys who don't like the first gen Tecate front end, I like those fronts very much. It is true your choices are limited for a front tire but I think they handle great. It's also different having the radiator there but I've never found any downside to that.

C.J
11-18-2013, 06:30 PM
HOLY CRAP I GOT A BIG SURPRISE TODAY!!!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/19/qy9edata.jpg

THANK YOU VERY MUCH T3X4!!!!!!

Bren_downe
11-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Time to get out the whizzer wheel! Lol. How much stuff are you missing before you can start building?

C.J
11-18-2013, 07:19 PM
The rest of the front end.
I'd like to have triple trees, forks, and wheel all together when I cut it apart so that I can go ahead an tack it all back together after it's cut

Tecate250
11-19-2013, 11:11 AM
I have sheet loads of front ends. Wish you lived alot closer.

just ben
11-19-2013, 12:48 PM
you will need the bearing races for that neck. They were taken out because the donor was an astro conversion.

C.J
11-19-2013, 02:42 PM
If i order a new set of bearings then they will come with them huh?

6speedthumper
11-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Cool to see you got that neck! I got busy and forgot about cutting up my spare X frame for you.

C.J
11-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Hey man its cool! I get to stick with my original plan now.

I'm gunna try and clean up this neck some. Remove the 3 brackets on it (save the coil mount! That'll be reused) and i've gotta add forward tank mounts to it. Can someone get me pictures of the forward mounts on an 84/85 neck please? as well as the rear tank mount? I may have to have a custom tank made. i can cut/weld aluminum myself but i dont have the equipment to do it nor do i have any material to use,,,, bummer.

Afrothunderkat
11-26-2013, 04:05 AM
Super zook fan, deff subed this thread!!!

Tecate250
06-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Digging this one up from the grave. Anything new here?

C.J
06-19-2014, 11:59 AM
No progress unfortunately. Mostly because I haven't found a cheap enough front end and I've had a lot of stuff come up in regular life here recently to where the only thing I've done bike wise lately is this 92 Nationals mill for my buddy's daughters bike

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/19/qymy7upa.jpg

BUT. I do have a killer plan for this project, I do now have a complete engine for this one as well, the pipe situation is figured out, I know what I'm going to have to do frame wise, and when I finally get back on my feet I'll be able to get her well and under way

bad to the bone
12-17-2014, 07:03 PM
any progress now?

Tecate250
12-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Im surprised no one else has made one of these.

bad to the bone
03-21-2015, 03:21 PM
still doing this build?

Tecate250
12-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Yeah. Started off so sweet. Got to keep going on this one.

C.J
02-11-2016, 01:06 AM
So my plan on this has become:::::

Build a new chromoly chassis once the funds become available.

The chassis I cut up had a lot of rust down through the lower rails,, and it'll be a LOT more involved with the rear suspension than I originally thought.

I've got some leads on people that can, and will,,,,, build a new chassis with Honda geometry that I can stuff a Suzuki engine into.

Or,,,,,, I picked up a 92 LT250R up the other day for $60. And I have no attachment to it. So if it's in any better shape internally,,, it may meet the whizzer wheel. But for now,,,,,,,,

Madness,,,, has to wait a bit longer.

I did find the KXT neck again tonight while cleaning up the shop and really want to put the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro to use but I don't want to half arse this build.

atc300r
02-11-2016, 11:11 AM
C.J. good to see you back again. I thought of you the other day when I was on Baton Rouge craigslist looking at 250 r and atc parts . I came across a quadracer.

RamsesRibb
07-11-2016, 04:32 PM
What's kind of shape is that quadracer in? (Just noticed the date of the post)

C.J
12-28-2016, 03:42 AM
What's kind of shape is that quadracer in? (Just noticed the date of the post)

It's sitting on top of my shop right now waiting for its time to come. I spent the last 2 years building big mud bikes and now I'm finally getting back on to building trikes again and getting my business moving along. I've got 3 front ends for this chassis now lol trike, 400EX clip, or straight axle front/torsion bar rear. I think it's getting the torsion bar treatment and that I will probably just get a chassis built to put one of my now 4 LT engines into
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161228/2a2de869e5e1b2c875588a00a856cbab.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161228/a3b418f52dc78a6ca81c71c4248ab0fc.jpg

Tecate250
01-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Great to see you have not stopped completely. I still have no idea why no one stil has not made what should have been.

C.J
01-07-2017, 01:45 AM
Great to see you have not stopped completely. I still have no idea why no one stil has not made what should have been.

Neither do I. Especially with a newer 450 like an RMZ. Those things RIP!! But it's taboo or something. Madness, I say. ;)

OZQUAD44
04-03-2017, 10:22 AM
It's sitting on top of my shop right now waiting for its time to come. I spent the last 2 years building big mud bikes and now I'm finally getting back on to building trikes again and getting my business moving along. I've got 3 front ends for this chassis now lol trike, 400EX clip, or straight axle front/torsion bar rear. I think it's getting the torsion bar treatment and that I will probably just get a chassis built to put one of my now 4 LT engines in
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161228/a3b418f52dc78a6ca81c71c4248ab0fc.jpg

That chassis is a work of art, and nothing like a stock lt250r. I wouldn't be cutting that up to make a trike, it looks too unique for that.

But I agree with the others, it's about time someone made an lt250r trike. After all these years, I can't believe no one ever did it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C.J
04-06-2017, 07:54 AM
That chassis is a work of art, and nothing like a stock lt250r. I wouldn't be cutting that up to make a trike, it looks too unique for that.

But I agree with the others, it's about time someone made an lt250r trike. After all these years, I can't believe no one ever did it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That chassis actually was cut up. The parts were borrowed from the builders friends mini-sprint. After they were finished racing it, they pulled the parts off and cut the sub-frame out of it.
With the original builders permission, I am going to recreate the bike. He's sent me a lot of great photo's and measurements and stuff so it'll go pretty smoothly!!

And yes! I agree! There's not enough Suzuki trikes in general. I REALLY need to get on this build hot and heavy

atc300r
04-06-2017, 09:07 AM
I don't know who did this but this would save you some time C.J. 241738

C.J
04-06-2017, 10:10 AM
I've seen that one a few times. The only problem is that is a first gen LT engine. I'm sure the 2nd gen engine would fit in a B1/B2, but I'd like to have Suzuki plastics, Suzuki tank, etc.

I've got a guy that'll build it for me, but I've just got to pull together the skrill.

I'm building a fresh engine for my car, building an engine for two of my race cars, building another 2nd gen LT engine for my JP Outlaw, rebuilding my CR80 after it burned in our shop, rebuilding the house after the flood, etc etc etc etc lol
Funds are kind of tight and not a lot is getting done on the BIG projects.

The chassis is a $2000 hit right off the bat so it'll be a little while of saving $100 a week lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazyflights
11-08-2017, 10:41 PM
I'm surprised also that this hasn't been done by anyone else yet, I have one in the works also. 86 frame that I cut the front off and will be using 87 PV engine but still collecting parts. Hoping to get it rolling this winter. Maier will make yellow front 3rd Gen 250r fenders but have to order 5 I believe since not a standard color, I have a use for 4 of them. Let me know if interested in the 5th one.

just ben
11-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Neither do I. Especially with a newer 450 like an RMZ. Those things RIP!! But it's taboo or something. Madness, I say. ;)
An rmz 450 trike has been built but I don’t know how to post pics from my phone.

Tri-Z 250
11-15-2017, 03:21 PM
The "Snake" !!! of Tionesta Trikes has a modern Suzuki 450 Quad to Trike conversion. It runs real healthy and looks BA with that single rear mid mount exhaust.