PDA

View Full Version : I've tried everything with this broken exhaust stud!

chargercharlie
08-23-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm a newb with these motors. .its an 86 200x and I've tried all the little tricks posted in this forum
all with no luck..so I ask u gentlemen what are the consequences of just buying a head off ebay and pairing it with my motor....anything I shoud look out for ? Drilling and taping just seems like more money than just buying a head..and I really don't
Have a steady hand or a tap and die set..thougts anyone? Thanks in advance.

kb0nly
08-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Thought... If you replace the head your opening a big can of worms. You not only need a head, but a gasket set, pulling the motor to work on it, etc. Then you get into a case of you might as wells and the next thing you know you have spent a couple hundred on the top end. Not saying its a bad thing, but i would much rather work on the broken stud then tear into the motor if its running good otherwise!

Any machine shops locally? I would get a price from one to bring the trike there and have them get the stud out. I had a shop do both studs on a head once, cost me about $70. Figure the cost of a head and gaskets and such and its easily the same cost.

Where are you at with it? Broken off flush or? If you were close to me, your not obviously, i would get that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro out. I have had good luck removing stuff like that.

chargercharlie
08-23-2013, 09:16 PM
I've got the motor out actually to rebuild needs new rings ..prob a bore job and def new gaskets..have that on the way heh..its broke off prob a 1/16 from the head ..I've thought of taking it to the machine shop but around houston..no telling what they will charge

GunsShooting
08-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Call around and ask, that doesn't cost anything but time.

emmie357
08-24-2013, 12:06 AM
If it's sticking out a little, I cut into it with a hacksaw so I can get a flathead slotted into it, heat it up real good with a propane torch, and use lots of pb blaster.
Don't turn it hard, it will break... just keep heating it up and letting it cool while drenching in pb. Eventually it will budge, once it does it will come right out.

Worse case scenario, get a cheap tap set from harbor freight ($10-15) and drill it out. Aluminum taps real easy. I wouldn't bother with a new head unless you could find a whole parts motor locally for a reasonable price, then it may be worth it for when the next thing goes.

kb0nly
08-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Oh heck if you already got it torn down then easier yet. Yeah i would call some shops or if you have some nearby take the head in and ask around. If the head is in good shape otherwise i wouldn't replace it with an unknown... If you replace it then i would do a valve job on it also just to be sure you know what your starting with! You never know why it was pulled apart and sold, as it is now you have a head that you know is good otherwise i assume, it ran before, etc.

If you have access to a torch try the heat and repeat along with PB Blaster as mentioned, i have got a lot of rusted crap out that way.

Worden18
08-26-2013, 09:34 PM
If there's enough sticking out to double nut it, then soak it with a 50/50 mix of acetone and tranny fluid, for 3 or 4 days. THEN heat it up with a torch and screw it out. This has worked for me.

MatthewBuckrell
09-17-2013, 11:21 AM
weld a nut to it. the heat should un seize the threads and the nut helps get a better grip

200x350xtriz250
09-17-2013, 06:24 PM
weld a nut to it. the heat should un seize the threads and the nut helps get a better grip

X2. Has worked for me. I would add to use an impact.

jbanes1961
09-26-2013, 08:21 AM
I broke off 2 bolts flush in my flywheel.. I center punched the broken bolt, drilled appropriate sized hole and used a screw extractor. Bolts came right out. I got the extractors from ace hardware. Tells you on the box what size hole to drill for the extractor you are using