PDA

View Full Version : 1984 yamaha no spark in the light position on key switch

yamahatech3
08-23-2013, 11:13 PM
I recently bought this three wheeler an don't know much about them the story I work at has no book for it either the thing runs great after some work but when I put the key in the light position on the key switch I lose spark but in the on position it will run fine any suggestions?

83 200e
08-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Im not quite understanding the question. There shouldnt be any spark at all if its in the light position. It will not fire in the light position. that position is meant for turning on the head and tail light, not for starting it, therefor, there shouldnt be spark at all.

emmie357
08-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Same here, from what I gather is the "light" position on the key is to have the headlight on when the bike is off. The manual recommends no more then 15 minutes at a time.
To use the light while running you need to use the thumb controls next to the kill switch (on the handlebar switch cluster). The light will work when it's running and the key is in the "on" position and the handle bar switch is on.

If you need more help here's a link to a manual with wiring diagrams, etc...
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

GunsShooting
08-24-2013, 09:10 AM
I understand his confusion... Many ATVs have three key positions: Off, then turn one notch to Run, turn one more notch and that position is called Lights and it is basically the same as "run" but with power to the lights. The lights can still be controlled by the handlebar switch, but sometimes the light switch doesn't have an "off" position, just high and low.

On a rig like that, you would of course need spark to the engine when the key is in the Lights position.

yamahatech3
08-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Yes when I am riding and switch it to the light position to turn on my head lights it kill the machine

Worden18
08-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Yes when I am riding and switch it to the light position to turn on my head lights it kill the machine

My 84 Yamaha does the same thing. Kills the machine when you turn it on the "lights" on the keyswitch. Don't do that. Use the switch on the handlebar for your lights. I'm not running a battery in mine, but from what the others are saying here the "lights" switch is only for turning the lights on when the machine is off...only if you have a battery. Take a flashlight with you if you need to shine on something when the machine is off, easier to handle :lol:

yamahatech3
09-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all the help!!

muthey
09-06-2013, 11:39 PM
there is a way to change the switch to a two position switch, it does involve taking it apart which I don't recommend, unless you have experience doing this. That will end any accidental oops with the key switch while riding. I discovered how to do this while re-tumbling a lock recently.