PDA

View Full Version : Front End Shimmy and Shake - Innertube

Roadkill
08-26-2013, 12:00 PM
I searched posts but didnt see this exact question.

So I have to drive my 200es on the road for about a mile to get to our property. The front end vibrates like hell...actually it is more of a shimmy. I suspect the tire is a bit out of round causing this because i checked the axle and it is straight. The tire does leak a bit of air, but it still has about 90% of tread left on it so I hate to trash it and spend $$ on a new tire. So here is my question: if I put an innertube inside the front tire, will it help to correct any flaws in the tire or amplify the flaws when going down the road? I have never tried to use an innertube on anything aside from a bicycle tire so not sure how it would affect the performance of my machine on or off pavement.

Any info/advice is appreciated, Chris

Vealmonkey
08-26-2013, 12:24 PM
I notice you haven't mentioned a single thing about fork tube maintenance or steering stem or wheel bearing maintenance. There is also the fact that depending on what tire you are running, that aggressive treads can affect ride quality. I think there are other factors you may be overlooking on a 25+ year old machine.

dougspcs
08-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Is the tire is out of round and causing your vibration? You are the only one who can answer that question..not us! Tube won't solve that!

We can answer your technical questions and help with repair advise, but we can't teach the common sense that should come naturally.

Is the tire out or round from broken belts, weather checked and/or leaking? Replace it! If that tire fails on at road speed you'll probably be the next person who we are making a collection for! Nobody wants that!

Not trying to be harsh, just too many people run to the computer to ask the group..the answer is right there in front of you.