PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Honda atc 200x Little Oil in the Air Box! Problem? Please Help!

irishfan84n
08-26-2013, 11:05 PM
I just got a '84 200x that has been sitting for a while after the previous owner (my uncle) rebuilt the entire motor. I was taking the lid off the air filter box and checking things out when I found a little bit of oil on the filter and in the box itself. Is this a major problem? Remember I am new to trikes. Thanks in advance for the help!! :beer

hatc200x1
08-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Its probably a foam air filter, foam air filters NEED to be oiled, and some drips off into the airbox.

Ghostv2
08-26-2013, 11:56 PM
I use spray on oil for foam air filters, would never cause anything like that.
Maybe someone used any old oil and soaked it and didnt squeeze all the excess out. Just clean it all out, use proper oil and see if it appears again.

CodyRosa
08-27-2013, 01:05 AM
x2 ghostv2 said.. even if the rings were gone I can't see oil going all the way back there to that filter. I suppose anything could happen though haha

Ghostv2
08-27-2013, 01:10 AM
x2 ghostv2 said.. even if the rings were gone I can't see oil going all the way back there to that filter. I suppose anything could happen though haha

On my 225dx the crank case breather tube goes into a small box then into the air box. When i got it, it was dripping oil everywhere in there. Dont see the point, but its possible. I dont see it happening on a 200x though.

irishfan84n
08-27-2013, 01:34 AM
Thanks so much for the info. I will just clean it and keep an eye out!

GunsShooting
08-27-2013, 01:34 AM
Check the oil level. If its too high, the oil will be routed into the air box. Also smell the oil, if it smells like gas the carb float is stuck and leaking gas into the crankcase through the piston.

Ghostv2
08-27-2013, 02:17 AM
Check the oil level. If its too high, the oil will be routed into the air box. Also smell the oil, if it smells like gas the carb float is stuck and leaking gas into the crankcase through the piston.
Im completely rebuilding the bike so im sure if there was a problem itll end up being fixed. I bought it cheap and then it died like a week later. I knew the engine needed rebuilt when i got it anyways.

Thanks so much for the info. I will just clean it and keep an eye out!
No problem. Just next time you got some spare change check out that spray on foam air filter oil. I think the one i got is Klotz, $7.96 online, i got mine at the local shop. Its red colored so you can see any spots you missed.

CodyRosa
08-27-2013, 04:30 AM
oh on the 200x the breather goes into the airbox? haha i've never routed any of my breathers to my airbox

irishfan84n
08-27-2013, 12:10 PM

That could be, because it has sat for a while after the rebuild and my uncle said that I would have to more that likely rebuild the carb. Also, I will make sure I get some of that air filter oil spray.

irishfan84n
08-27-2013, 12:13 PM
oh on the 200x the breather goes into the airbox? haha i've never routed any of my breathers to my airbox

So you are saying that you can just stick a cone air filter on the side of the carb and not use the airbox at all? I don't plan to do much bogging or anything with this, so that might be a better option, giving it is possible. Thanks

Jwmajic
08-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Not a good idea open air filters get messed up real quickly the air box prevents a lot of dirt from getting to the filter.

Ghostv2
08-27-2013, 02:01 PM
So you are saying that you can just stick a cone air filter on the side of the carb and not use the airbox at all? I don't plan to do much bogging or anything with this, so that might be a better option, giving it is possible. Thanks

Any water, mud, anything that gets splashed up on there will effect performance. Then you also have to rejet your carb. If anything, take the air box lid off for a little extra boostand get a new filter. I personally would leave everything alone. Your trike will last longer with the closed intake system intact. Plus i like to take mine though the water so i leave it go. Plus with a pod filter you would have to clean it after every ride if you ride through all the stuff i do. Mud, coal dust, etc.

No, we were talking about a 225dx.

honda200xguy
08-27-2013, 02:04 PM

Yes you can

irishfan84n
08-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Thank you guys soo much for the info and input, I think will just stick with the stock filter system. Sounds like the easiest and best thing for the trike. I do have to get a new air filter, since the foam one I have is flaking apart because it is so old. I also had a question about what to clean the long carb boot(air box boot) with?

Ghostv2
08-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Thank you guys soo much for the info and input, I think will just stick with the stock filter system. Sounds like the easiest and best thing for the trike. I do have to get a new air filter, since the foam one I have is flaking apart because it is so old. I also had a question about what to clean the long carb boot(air box boot) with?

Its only a rubber boot, i think youd be fine using water or anything really. Just take it off and hose it out. If its filled with oil from having that soaked filter use some dish detergent. Most soaps that you use for dishes have a degreaser in it. I usually keep a bottle on hand just for cleaning my bikes. You can get a decent size bottle for a buck or two, doesnt need to be name brand like dawn, any cheap brand or walmart brand will do.

GunsShooting
08-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Right on, dish soap is a great degreaser and my favorite hand soap especially after turning wrenches.

Russ

irishfan84n
08-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Sounds great, thanks guys for all the help. Did the '84 200x have a battery? I have looked and looked, but no battery. Thanks :beer

ShaftDrive225dx
08-27-2013, 09:22 PM
No battery just kick start! I wondered
the same thing when i got mine...

Ghostv2
08-27-2013, 10:17 PM
None of the 200x's had electric start. All kick.

irishfan84n
08-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Then do the lights just run on some sort of generator?

Ghostv2
08-27-2013, 11:25 PM
The stator produces electricity for spark to the motor, lights, charges your battery if you have one, stuff to that nature.
The 200x produces a lot of power for lights compared to my 200s and other similar models. Not sure exactly how much off the top of my head.

irishfan84n
08-27-2013, 11:49 PM
That is pretty sweet. Bet the stator cost a lot to replace though. Good that saves me a lot of money on battery cost!

Ghostv2
08-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Yea, they are pretty simple machines. Alway better not having to replace expensive batteries. I dont mind kick starting.