PDA

View Full Version : Tire question........

S14MARKSR
08-30-2013, 04:25 PM
I am sure this has been posted perhaps more than a few times (hell I could be wrong) but is there anyone that may know of a company that does vintage tires to do a restoration?... I am looking to do a restoration of my Honda 200s and would love to get my hands on a complete set of OEM style tires ...I felt those tires were pretty decent and rode very well.. Any help would be appreciated!!

Mark

S14MARKSR
08-31-2013, 06:10 AM
Wow, nobody huh....that's not a good sign I guess

GunsShooting
08-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Have you looked at new tires already and decided that none of them will work?

Russ

dougspcs
08-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Your OEM tires are getting pretty hard to find now..anyone with a set kicking around is likely holding them pretty close.

I suggest exploring the aftermarket..25 years of tire technology advance has done wonders for these old trikes.

You thought they handled well with the OEMs, you should see what you can do with some good replacements!!

Only time I personally go looking for anything with those soft riding OEM qualities is if the machine is a hard tail..

S14MARKSR
08-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Have you looked at new tires already and decided that none of them will work?

Russ

To be honest, I know they have been sitting completely falt for at least 15 years so the possibility of them coming back to life I would think would be pretty slim. But I guess there is always a chance...I just figured they would have been dry rotted or something...I havent had an opportunity to see them up close as of yet... I am picking up this sentimental machine next week.. I will know more of course when I get to look it over properly

Mark

S14MARKSR
08-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Your OEM tires are getting pretty hard to find now..anyone with a set kicking around is likely holding them pretty close.

I suggest exploring the aftermarket..25 years of tire technology advance has done wonders for these old trikes.

You thought they handled well with the OEMs, you should see what you can do with some good replacements!!

Only time I personally go looking for anything with those soft riding OEM qualities is if the machine is a hard tail..

Well I am pretty sure the Honda 200s is a hard tail with only front suspension.. So I think the softer the better I would imagine.. This thing isn't going to be a speed demon but rather more of a putt-putt around through the woods and some mud here and there.... The only thing I want to make sure of is the tire is able to take a beating and not puncture very easily.

Mark

dougspcs
08-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Well I am pretty sure the Honda 200s is a hard tail with only front suspension.. So I think the softer the better I would imagine.. This thing isn't going to be a speed demon but rather more of a putt-putt around through the woods and some mud here and there.... The only thing I want to make sure of is the tire is able to take a beating and not puncture very easily.

Mark

Yeah of course you're right the 200s is hard tail..should have read the 1st post closer.

22x11x8 should be your stock size..still a decent selection of tires around for that. Even a few softer ones to balance the non-suspended rear.

If the tires that are there are still solid, great. I wouldn't expect them to stand up well to punctures though, due to the age of the rubber.

Might just want to start shopping!

GunsShooting
08-31-2013, 09:44 PM
To be honest, I know they have been sitting completely falt for at least 15 years so the possibility of them coming back to life I would think would be pretty slim. But I guess there is always a chance...I just figured they would have been dry rotted or something...I havent had an opportunity to see them up close as of yet... I am picking up this sentimental machine next week.. I will know more of course when I get to look it over properly

Mark

No, I said *new* tires... Looks like dougspec has you well advised though, so I'll bow out. Good luck!

Russ

Larry T Moore
08-31-2013, 11:00 PM
theres a guy just outside of town has a set of pro ams for a 200s for sale....they worn but decent and have spraypaint on them..bad thing is i cant catch him there or find a number for him...i been asking around..these arent *new* of course but decent for a garage queen

Ghostv2
09-01-2013, 12:00 AM
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/81/165/723/1217/17500/Duro-Knobby-ATV-Tire
I searched for a 85 200s, because its what i have. This should be what your looking for. Not sure what ply tire it is and what the OEM ones were but i believe these are pretty close.

bumsted200s
09-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Ya hard to find. I've once tried doing the samething finding stock ohtsu's and trying to match tread heights.... if I found any they were on eBay and over priced or craigslist special with dry rotting. But I'd watch eBay might find some there.

Brian

Current wheelers:
1981 Honda 200
1982 Honda 200
1982 Honda 185S
1982 Honda 250R
1984 Honda 200S
1985 Honda 200S
1985 Honda 200X

kb0nly
09-03-2013, 02:29 PM
There is plenty of new knobby tires to choose from in that size. Lots of options! I would see how the tires on it are first though. Take the weight off the tires by putting the axle up on stands or a block of wood and then air the tires up slowly. See if they come back to shape and let them sit a day or so and see if they hold air. If they aren't badly cracked you can probably expect some use out of them but i can almost bet they will need replacement before too long if they sat for 15 years! Good find by the way, let us know the condition of it and post some pictures of your find!

Locally i can get some cheap knobby tires from a local farm supply store, around $50 a tire, they are good tires and ride is nice on a hardtail. I have put them on a few that i repaired and resold. I can't complain and the new owners couldnt either. There is options galore if you go online, places like Dennis Kirk, eBay, Discount Tire, etc.. I think there was a few other ATV tire places online that have been mentioned as well. I know one guy that bought new tires off Amazon... LOL