PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Big Red Clutch problem?

fireshark25
08-30-2013, 04:52 PM
I just purchased a 1985 Big Red. Here's the problem. When shifting gears, the motor seems to hold the rpm's to a higher level making the machine jerk after the gear is engaged. The carb has been rebuilt and the throttle cable has been replaced. Could this be the sign of a worn or slipping clutch?:crazy: I have no problem replacing the plates if that is the problem. Should anything else in the clutch assembly be replaced? Thanks guys.

fallguy666
08-30-2013, 07:51 PM
If the motor is holding rpms its not you're clutch,its the motor.make sure you're carb and idle are adjusted rite.make sure there is no bend or kink in the new throttle cable.mine would do that from time to time and it was the cable being pulled

GunsShooting
08-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Sounds like your idle speed is set too high... Just slow it down a little and you should be fine.

Russ

fireshark25
08-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Okay guys. Thanks. I'll adjust the idle and let you all know how it turned out.

dougspcs
08-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Actually this may be nothing more than sticky clutch plates.

If the machine has been parked for a period of time then the disc stick together.

A fresh oil change with proper wet/clutch oil and a bit of riding.

I bet it goes away and never comes back!!

I've bought several machines that have be stored to extended periods that had this issue..solved everyone!

fireshark25
08-31-2013, 12:14 AM
If I had to guess, the machine has sat up for a while. I checked the motor oil dipstick before I bought it. The level was within the acceptable parameters and was clean. The guy told me he had just changed it, but I checked anyway. Is the motor oil and clutch oil the same oil or is it two different oil sections altogether? I also ordered new seals and boots for the front fork assembly. What type of fork oil should be used? Thanks for all the help guys.

barnett468
08-31-2013, 03:44 AM
If I had to guess, the machine has sat up for a while. I checked the motor oil dipstick before I bought it. The level was within the acceptable parameters and was clean.

Is the motor oil and clutch oil the same oil or is it two different oil sections altogether?It is the same and is best to use "4 stroke engine oil designed for wet clutchs" as recommended above. it is available at auto parts stores and motorcycle shops.

What type of fork oil should be used?old school trans fluid or 7 wt fork oil. if it feels slightly soft you can increase oil viscosity and level by around 1/2". of it is really soft you can buy stiffer springs. tire pressure is important for proper ride feel. a low pressure tire gauge is most accurate.

please explain your symptoms more clearly.

when you push shift lever while shifting does it stay in neutral before releasing pedal? if not then your clutch needs adjustment or clutch plates are stuck together. pedal should have light feel for 3/8" up and 3/8" down then feel hard.

fireshark25
08-31-2013, 08:03 AM
The shift lever does stay in neutral before releasing the pedal. I will adjust the idle and change the oil with the proper type of oil. I don't know what kind of oil is in there now. Also, what is a good replacement front tire? I was thinking of going with a narrower type instead of the balloon style knobby thats on there now. Thanks again for the help.

dougspcs
08-31-2013, 08:47 AM
Also, what is a good replacement front tire? I was thinking of going with a narrower type instead of the balloon style knobby thats on there now. Thanks again for the help.

I have spent alot of time playing with front tire/rim combos on the ES and SX model trikes..I will share with you some of what I have learned.

The thinner front improves the steering on these machine greatly..however since the stock 9" front rim give you limited choices in tires here is what I recommend.

1/ Rim: 4/110 ITP Steel Wheel 12x7 2.0 + 5.0 Silver - 1986 Honda ATC 350X (Rear)
Part # 1087260011 from www.rockymountainatv.com

It's a direct fit for the BR front and will match the offset of the OEM rim..therefore a perfect centre between the fork.

Then since you now have a 12" rim on the choices in tires are amazing..take your pick.

I like this one...

2/ Revised (Kenda Bear Claw ATV Tire 24x8-12 Part # 1054490018 also from Rocky Mountain..) is not correct for the BR..this is the tire I installed on the front of my SX

NEW 2/ Kenda Bear Claw ATV Tire 26x9-12 Part # 1054490013 is what I meant to say. Sorry for the misdirection!
Be sure to mount the tire as a right side to get the tread direction correct and order some tapered nuts also to replace the flat nuts on your trike since the new rims require a tapered.

Have fun with it!

Here's how mine looks..as you will see I didn't get my front directionally mounted. No big deal really since it isn't a power wheel.

BTW..that rim also works well for a rear in case you want to upgrade the back tires also..

fireshark25
08-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Wow! Your machine looks awesome! I love the tire you recommended. I plan to rebuild the front forks on it first (the parts are already ordered, should be here next week). I checked the rim size last night. The size is already a 9 x 12! Someone before me must have put them them on. I plan to do this a little at a time.... wife, kids, ect. I plan to use the trike for hunting and some trail riding. This machine is a tank; totally indestructable. I love it! When I was a kid, we had an ATC 110. I still remember trying to pull- start that thing many times! It was rough riding, but for hunting, it was reliable. I also had a ATC 200X. Lots of fun on that machine, once again, bulletproof on the trails. Then, I got a ATC 350X. Man, that thing was great! I sold it when I got out of the Army. I kick myself everytime I think about me actually selling that trike! I got into motocross and purchased a beat up 86 TRX 250R. After rebuilding it (and spending most of my savings!), I raced it at motocross tracks in Louisiana and Mississippi. I did pretty well and had a great time. After getting banged up a few times and starting a family, I reluctantly sold it. I then purchased a Honda Rancher 420. Great ride and awesome hunting machine. Sold that, after we popped out a few kids, to my brother. I got the urge for something to ride again recently. After talking it over with my wife, we agreed to get the Big Red. No regrets so far. Nothing like riding a trike again after being "out the saddle" for so long. Anyway, thank you for the help and advice. I will post pics ASAP.

dougspcs
08-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Wow! Your machine looks awesome! I love the tire you recommended.

Thanks, that's my 'back in black' trike build I did in the spring..

Had a lot of fun with it, both building and riding!

I look forward to your pics.

fallguy666
08-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Is that the same front wheel for the sx swap?

dougspcs
09-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Is that the same front wheel for the sx swap?

No the SX has different offset geometry..I had to use this one.

4/110 ITP Steel Wheel 10x5 2.0 + 3.0 - 1990 Honda TRX 200/D (Front)
Part # 1087260024

Then matched it up with a 10" tire..

Kenda Bear Claw ATV Tire 23x7-10
Part # 1054490005

I love doing this and experimenting with rim/tire upgrades for these trikes..it's the best update dollar for dollar in my opinion.

This particular update I've done on two of my SXs.

fireshark25
09-01-2013, 07:05 PM
This is my Big Red as is today. I lowered the idle and the shifting went fine. Thanks for the help guys.176452

fireshark25
09-01-2013, 07:07 PM
She may look a little rough, but she runs like a top! You may notice that the side plastic has been removed to expose the kick starter. I haven't purchased a battery for her yet, so I've been just kick starting it. Will this cause any problems?

dougspcs
09-01-2013, 07:16 PM
She may look a little rough, but she runs like a top! You may notice that the side plastic has been removed to expose the kick starter. I haven't purchased a battery for her yet, so I've been just kick starting it. Will this cause any problems?

Nope you can kick it til your leg falls off!

fireshark25
09-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Okay, good. Now I can lower that on the repair list. Thanks again.

barnett468
09-02-2013, 10:50 AM
I haven't purchased a battery for her yet, so I've been just kick starting it. Will this cause any problems?
Nope you can kick it til your leg falls off!
Okay, good. Now I can lower that on the repair list. Thanks again.That's pretty funny! :Bounce

fireshark25
09-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Thank goodness it starts easy! Nothing like trying to kick start a 250R or that shin-breaker 350X!

88RGuy
09-28-2013, 02:05 AM
no problems will come from using the kick starter.. thats what its there for.. fun atc u got there.. happy riding :) just make sure u dont leave your battery terminal ends just floppin around.. u dont want the positive to ground out on anything.. wrap it up with some black electrical tape or some sort of insulating wrap if youre gonna ride with no battery bud.. :)