PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the family!!!

R.J.M.
08-30-2013, 11:20 PM

Just picked it up tonight for $300, don't know much about it yet. Going to look it over really good tomorrow. Anything that I need to pay close attention to on these? Let me know what you think

GunsShooting
08-31-2013, 08:59 AM
Congrats! Looks nice.

Russ

R.J.M.
08-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Well it ran this morning before we touched it.....not the greatest but it did. Went to take the carb off and all I can say is holy hell what did they
do. Someone had taken silicone and covered the piece that goes between the jug and carb. Took forever to clean that up and now it won't even start unless u hold the throttle open, no idling no nothing. When u give it gas it doesn't even want to rev up just spits and sputters the entire
time. I'm lost please help

GunsShooting
08-31-2013, 09:56 PM
Hopefully you took the carb apart and cleaned it well.

Also check the flow of gas from the tank. Best bet is to remove the tank and rinse it out very well with gas.

Also check for air leaks in the piece that had all the silicone on it. If it is sucking air that will be a problem.

Russ

chargercharlie
08-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Looks good for sure ..like GS said check that intake boot maybe that's why they had silicone there heh.

R.J.M.
09-02-2013, 08:33 PM
thanks for the info guys.......I cleaned the carb good and need to replace that part its dry-rotted pretty good. checked the plug and it was built up with carbon so
I cleaned it (going to buy a new one tomorrow), you can hold the throttle wide open and it acts like something is choking out the motor. it wont even rev up and smokes out the exhaust.
I checked the oil and it smells like gas, should I change plug and oil again or just bite the bullet and tear it apart and rebuild or what...?

GunsShooting
09-03-2013, 02:04 AM
Drain the oil and replace it once you figure things out. Don't run it much with the gas in the oil. The gas likely got in because the cab float/needle valve got stuck open and overfilled the carb, which then let the gas into the piston... The gas then leaks down around the rings and into the crankcase. My Yamaha was way overfilled with gassy oil when I got it, but a good carb cleaning fixed that.

As I said before, air leaks of any kind in the piece between carb and engine will make it run poorly. The carb mixes air and gas to make the engine run... Air leaks in that piece will mess up the fuel air mixture.

Russ

R.J.M.
09-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks GS I will try that this weekend. U know that whole work thing tends to put a damper n play time lol

Seabear843
09-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Keep the chain snug. I saw it slip off on a friend of mine.