PDA

View Full Version : Tire Repair on Honda 185

cc86
09-03-2013, 12:26 AM
On my Honda 185 I've got tires on the back that are leaking air. By first glance they appear to be in good shape,Tread looks pretty good but sides got some cracks or light cuts. When I fill with air I can see it bubbling out a little and hear them hissing some. I plan on taking them off and taking to a local tire shop to see if they can patch them. If they can't fix them is Slime tire sealant a last resort thing? I guess the cracking is dry rot but I've seen tires with dry rot all over that hold air better than these.

oldnndway
09-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Sometimes the bead area of the rims get corroded and let air leak by ... might be as simple as getting the shop to clean them up some

Mechanic97
09-03-2013, 12:31 AM
cc86,
Find yourself the correct size tubes and go that way. Slime is a temporary fix that has a little chance working in my expirience. Blaines Farm and Fleet or Mills Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply all carry tubes. What size tires are even on the back of your trike?
-Brandon

cc86
09-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the ideas, I will check the beads, I know one for sure is leaking around the bead. Most leaking appears to be on side walls. I need to take them off and spray water for a quick leak test. Yeah I will think about tubes that's a good idea, never tried them. Are the tubes generally very durable and good when riding in woods etc.? I'm not sure off the top of my head the tire size Brandon, I need to double check. If I got a couple little leaks they may worth getting patched or plugged but if I've got numerous ones tubes would probably be the cheapest way to go.

GunsShooting
09-03-2013, 02:13 AM
Tubes are the way to go... Just make sure you get the right size (especially width). And some Slime in the tube makes great insurance... But Slime won't cure your old leaky tires by itself.

Russ

dougspcs
09-03-2013, 09:01 AM
That's all just crazy talk..

A tire that is cracked and leaking is ready for the tire pile!!

22x11x8 is one of the cheapest sizes out there..dig deep and buy a set or park it til you can afford. Then ride on for another 10-15 years..what are you really gonna get out of tubes a slime? Besides a PITA and a big damned mess.

No good will come of riding on trash tires!

When I'm out for a days ride with buddies and one of them breaks down because of something they McGuvered or neglected it pisses me off sitting on the trail or dragging their ass back when I could be having fun.

Fix it right!

cc86
09-04-2013, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the advice.